ADVERTISEMENT

Rush fans? Neil in Bloomington

Geddy just wrote his autobiography and is on a book tour now. A lot of chatter that he and Alex might play live next year with various drummers. They don’t want anyone to have the burden of “replacing Neil”, so it will be a revolving door. I think it’s more wishful thinking from fans than anything, so I’m not getting my hopes up.

The more I read his book and watch clips of his ongoing tour, the more likely it sounds like Geddy and Alex will play live in some capacity again. Not a full tour or the 3 hour shows they used to do, but I could envision a 90 minute set with some additional musicians to help them out. Maybe a residency somewhere. Do they call it Rush without Neil? I’d prefer something like “Lee, Lifeson, plus special guests.” Cross your fingers if you’re a fan.

Geddy has said over and over going all the way back to before Vapor Trails' release that it's not Rush without the three of them.

I bet they play a short run somewhere. Dirk and Lerxst, Live at the Acropolis?

Not sure about Lifeson's arthritis, but he played with Tool last week in Toronto.

Would love to see them back on tour. We can only hope. But I think Geddy and Alex are game, just a gut feeling.
Sure sounding like they are up for something the way Geddy answers that question on his book tour. Let's see what happens next year.

The book is excellent by the way. I'm up to about the Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows years.

More from Geddy in a recent interview:

.. "Of course, Rush, that band as it existed, is no more," said Lee, 70, at a screening of his new four-episode TV show on Wednesday night in Toronto. So, yes, we do have a legacy that I respect and (guitarist) Alex (Lifeson) and I will be celebrating 50 years doing that. What we'll do about it, I just don't know yet." The last time Lee and Lifeson jammed together was in October 2022 at Lee's home studio. "It was fun," said Lee. "It felt great. It felt very natural. We recorded a bunch of stuff. It was just a jam session. It wasn't a song. And we looked at each other and said, 'Yeah, I think if we want to do this again, I think we could do it again.'" ...

Finished the book last night. Great read and highly recommend. My biggest takeaways:

1. Geddy was very difficult to work with-whether in recording, writing, planning a tour, etc.... Very much a control-freak and almost caused Alex to quit the band at one point. Geddy became known as "Mr. Bossypants."

2. During the final tour (R40) in 2015, both Alex and Neil were falling apart physically and could barely get on stage some nights. Geddy wanted to tour more and keep the band going, but Neil was ready to retire, causing some friction between those two.

3. Alex and Geddy could definitely do something in the future. Any potential live shows would have to include additional musicians (besides a new drummer) since these dudes are in their 70s now and can't do everything they once did. Stay tuned.

Dude.

where u bin?

good to see you.
Doing well. Enjoying being a single dad. Haven't remarried. still running the business, doing gaming on the side, still rooting for IU just a little quieter as of late. Oldest is junior at CG, youngest will be freshman next year. Youngest is going to IU to study journalism, oldest may be going to purdue, i've failed

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Finished the book last night. Great read and highly recommend. My biggest takeaways:

1. Geddy was very difficult to work with-whether in recording, writing, planning a tour, etc.... Very much a control-freak and almost caused Alex to quit the band at one point. Geddy became known as "Mr. Bossypants."

2. During the final tour (R40) in 2015, both Alex and Neil were falling apart physically and could barely get on stage some nights. Geddy wanted to tour more and keep the band going, but Neil was ready to retire, causing some friction between those two.

3. Alex and Geddy could definitely do something in the future. Any potential live shows would have to include additional musicians (besides a new drummer) since these dudes are in their 70s now and can't do everything they once did. Stay tuned.
I'd love to see them in the recording studio. I'm selfish, I want new material.

Doing well. Enjoying being a single dad. Haven't remarried. still running the business, doing gaming on the side, still rooting for IU just a little quieter as of late. Oldest is junior at CG, youngest will be freshman next year. Youngest is going to IU to study journalism, oldest may be going to purdue, i've failed
Journalism AND Purdue?
Delete your account!

Good to hear you're happy.
Kids are a helluva ride, eh?

Hmm

I listened to their album that came out last year and wasn’t too crazy about it. Western Sunset is a great Alex solo (dedicated to Neil), but the rest of the Record didn’t impress me at all.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I listened to their album that came out last year and wasn’t too crazy about it. Western Sunset is a great Alex solo (dedicated to Neil), but the rest of the Record didn’t impress me at all.
I don't care for their stuff either. Not a fan of the style, especially the singer. Kind of feels and sounds like Evanescence on mushrooms.

Reactions: GeddyHoosier
Most recent interview I saw with Geddy says he’s taking a vacation and then will be ready to do something musically. He doesn't know what that will look like. Solo stuff? Something with Alex? Touring or just recording? Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT