ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl/Pasadena experience

Bowlmania

Hall of Famer
Sep 23, 2016
Writing this while flying back from the game.

Our seats were at the 35 behind the IU bench. IU fans were numerous (to me it looked like several thousand, really a great turnout!), loud and engaged from the opening kick. Someone on the board had mentioned something new for UCLA this season, with students (“The Den”) lined up behind the visitors’ bench to create an intimidation factor. There was no intimidation factor. They stand at least 50 feet behind the bench, there’s a hedge in between, and whatever noise they were making was easily drowned out by the loud IU fans singing the fight song, celebrating first downs and otherwise cheering.

UCLA fans are mostly friendly and chill. The Rose Bowl staff was extremely courteous and helpful, and our group got a smile and a “welcome to the Rose Bowl” as we entered.

Concessions are numerous and varied and are located in an open-air setting in the oval surrounding the seating area, not in some narrow, dank concourse.

The stadium is in a beautiful natural setting with large trees rising above the east stands and the San Gabriel Mountains visible from many sections. Really spectacular sky as the sun was setting, despite quite a bit of haze yesterday.

We walked the 1.8 miles back to our hotel after the game. Half an hour later we headed out for dinner and some other stops including a very crowded Kings Row. Pasadena has a great vibe, is a rarity in LA County in that it is very walkable, and the streets were filled with happy Hoosier fans. Hated to leave but much more good football to look forward to this season!

Go Hoosiers!

Our seats were at the 35 behind the IU bench. IU fans were numerous (to me it looked like several thousand, really a great turnout!), loud and engaged from the opening kick. Someone on the board had mentioned something new for UCLA this season, with students (“The Den”) lined up behind the visitors’ bench to create an intimidation factor. There was no intimidation factor. They stand at least 50 feet behind the bench, there’s a hedge in between, and whatever noise they were making was easily drowned out by the loud IU fans singing the fight song, celebrating first downs and otherwise cheering.

UCLA fans are mostly friendly and chill. The Rose Bowl staff was extremely courteous and helpful, and our group got a smile and a “welcome to the Rose Bowl” as we entered.

Concessions are numerous and varied and are located in an open-air setting in the oval surrounding the seating area, not in some narrow, dank concourse.

The stadium is in a beautiful natural setting with large trees rising above the east stands and the San Gabriel Mountains visible from many sections. Really spectacular sky as the sun was setting, despite quite a bit of haze yesterday.

We walked the 1.8 miles back to our hotel after the game. Half an hour later we headed out for dinner and some other stops including a very crowded Kings Row. Pasadena has a great vibe, is a rarity in LA County in that it is very walkable, and the streets were filled with happy Hoosier fans. Hated to leave but much more good football to look forward to this season!

Go Hoosiers!
Pasadena is fantastic! I, too, am amazed that it's been able to stay the way it is, with all of the growth in and around it, especially directly east of it. Love that city!

Reactions: Bowlmania
Pasadena is fantastic! I, too, am amazed that it's been able to stay the way it is, with all of the growth in and around it, especially directly east of it. Love that city!
Old Pasadena almost has the feel of a European city. You turn off a street onto what looks like an alley and you find a cool little restaurant or shop.

Reactions: red hornet

Go Hoosiers!
Classes haven't started yet at UCLA, so the student body wasn't on campus yet. Those that attended probably live in LA year round.

Classes haven't started yet at UCLA, so the student body wasn't on campus yet. Those that attended probably live in LA year round.
Yeah, they’re on a quarterly system and the Fall Quarter hasn’t started yet. That said, there was a lot of hype and anticipation for this game (e.g. home opener, inaugural Big Ten game, new coaching staff) and I saw a boatload of college-age people wearing UCLA-branded stuff. I read somewhere that most students live off campus, so they’re not restricted/limited by dorm move-in days. A student area behind the IU bench (as I mentioned earlier, this is something new this year for UCLA) looked full to me.

Yeah, they’re on a quarterly system and the Fall Quarter hasn’t started yet. That said, there was a lot of hype and anticipation for this game (e.g. home opener, inaugural Big Ten game, new coaching staff) and I saw a boatload of college-age people wearing UCLA-branded stuff. I read somewhere that most students live off campus, so they’re not restricted/limited by dorm move-in days. A student area behind the IU bench (as I mentioned earlier, this is something new this year for UCLA) looked full to me.
I was more or less impressed with the overall turnout & that the UCLA crowd stayed for the most part until the 4th quarter when it officially got too far out of hand to even entertain the idea of a comeback. The UCLA kids near us said it was the most full they can remember the stadium in a while. They were excited to host B1G teams (some day the novelty of facing a bunch of new teams will wear off).

Lots of red, you could even hear the chants on the broadcast, which was fun.

The people were super nice & welcoming. The cheerleaders are smoking hot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT