ADVERTISEMENT

Road to the Playoffs

My two cents: 1) If IU were to get into the 12 team playoffs, IU would likely be matched up with one of the highest ranked teams in the country; yes, a chance to knock off one of the big boys and yet IU would already have experienced that opportunity with OSU on the schedule. 2) I would prefer to see IU finish just outside the playoff and play a quality team in a major bowl and WIN baby WIN. Then, reload and build the juggernaut for the playoffs in Cigs second year. GO HOOSIERS !!!

Here's the Official criteria for selection... :

Looks like all we need to do is stay ranked in the top 10 thru the last half of the season and finish 1st or 2nd in the Big Ten to have a legit shot at getting in... Not a big ask right... Should make for an interesting season...
This season may end up as exciting as the 1967 season when the team went from 3 wins to 9-1 B1G champions on their way to the Rose Bowl. IU was ranked #4 by the end of the year.

My two cents: 1) If IU were to get into the 12 team playoffs, IU would likely be matched up with one of the highest ranked teams in the country; yes, a chance to knock off one of the big boys and yet IU would already have experienced that opportunity with OSU on the schedule. 2) I would prefer to see IU finish just outside the playoff and play a quality team in a major bowl and WIN baby WIN. Then, reload and build the juggernaut for the playoffs in Cigs second year. GO HOOSIERS !!!
I was looking at future schedules...this year could end up being our best chance for the foreseeable future. Lots of beatable teams on our schedule, lots of home games. We could be a better football team the next couple years, and win a game or two less than this year.

If we're close enough to be in consideration, it'll always be better to get in the playoff. Even if we get destroyed by a top level SEC team.

I agree 100% with future schedule getting much tougher for IU. I also agree that the goal for the team will always be to make it to the playoff. I was just expressing my preference (assuming a loss to OSU) that IU not be matched up against a top 4 team in a bowl this year but rather get a very good (non-playoff) bowl with a higher likelihood of victory.

I agree 100% with future schedule getting much tougher for IU. I also agree that the goal for the team will always be to make it to the playoff. I was just expressing my preference (assuming a loss to OSU) that IU not be matched up against a top 4 team in a bowl this year but rather get a very good (non-playoff) bowl with a higher likelihood of victory.
I don’t have a strong opinion, but it would be nice to get rid of that stupid stat of no bowl win since 1991.

I don't even know if it's that much tougher. After this year, we only see OSU once more through the 2028 season. Games in Happy Valley and Eugene won't be easy not will the game at Kinnick, but no reason to think IU can't win 8-9 next year with the current layout. We have 3 more cupcakes at home and all the B10 home games are more than winnable along with the game at Ross-Ade.

Michigan’s O looks terrible right now. Unless they find a qb and quick, they aren’t coming to IU with only 2 losses, unless their very good D can find a way to generate some points. Hopefully they will have way more than 2 losses too!! They have 4 very losable games before they come here on 11/9 (USC this wknd, at Washington, at Illinois and host Oregon the week before coming to IU). Hopefully they will be a battered, beat down team by then. Maybe even down to Tuttle time!! Let’s show them a game like 2020, again, but this time WITH FANS!!

I’m in no way, shape or form thinking IU makes the playoff at 10-2, as OSU and Nebraska MAY be the only ranked squads on the schedule when we play them. For IU to get in, I feel would need to be 11-1. OSU, PSU, USC, Oregon, Nebraska and maybe even Illinois (better OOC win vs KS) go before IU, if all have 2 losses. Let’s enjoy the ride.
Their D looks pretty suspect too. Their offense can’t score. We will know after the Nebraska game how good we really are. Maybe even Maryland but I like our chances in those match ups already. So much so I’m going to the Nebraska game. Hopefully both are 6-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT