ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Tom Petty. I just read his perspective on the Confederate flag. Pretty interesting.

Good music passes the test of time. The music of the 60s-80s has passed the test of time at a whopping 100%, A++. I just don't see today's music being relevant in 15 years.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Most fun live show I’ve ever been to is Flaming Lips. If you ever want to go see an incredible show...even if you’re not particularly fond of their music...don’t miss them. It’s kinda one of those shows that might be more fun with a little something extra:

A buddy of mine got us passes to watch the sound check and meet with them before the show. They are genuinely nice guys. It wasn’t like we were asking all the questions about them. They were really interested in chatting with us (it seemed, anyway). We saw them at The Riviera here in Chicago and during the sound check, when no one is there to muffle the sound, it’s so loud it literally hurts your ears. Wayne Coyne saw I was uncomfortable and ran over, gave me some earplugs, and said “Be careful!”. He seemed genuinely concerned.0

The Scottish following is rabid. There were half a dozen flags and a ton of people dressed in Scottish apparel in a venue of 750-1000

I always appreciate musicians that dont take their status for granted. They are a fun hardworking live band.

I saw KISS when my voice barely broke -- great live act. Plus the audience was dressed to the hilt in KISS outfits and low cut blouses... my 13y.o hormones were going into over-drive.

Probably also explains why my hearing aint so good... and its not what you think. It was loud, firey but entertaining.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Most fun live show I’ve ever been to is Flaming Lips. If you ever want to go see an incredible show...even if you’re not particularly fond of their music...don’t miss them. It’s kinda one of those shows that might be more fun with a little something extra:

A buddy of mine got us passes to watch the sound check and meet with them before the show. They are genuinely nice guys. It wasn’t like we were asking all the questions about them. They were really interested in chatting with us (it seemed, anyway). We saw them at The Riviera here in Chicago and during the sound check, when no one is there to muffle the sound, it’s so loud it literally hurts your ears. Wayne Coyne saw I was uncomfortable and ran over, gave me some earplugs, and said “Be careful!”. He seemed genuinely concerned.0

Interesting. Has thats 70s approach to music -- David Bowie meets Electric Horseman meets 2000s

Reactions: DrHoops
I’ve been listening to Vic Mensa lately. He’s from Chicago:

Correct. That’s from DAMN his new album. Great jam. I still like Backseat Freestyle and Swimming Pool from MAAD City the best.

It’s just a WILD show. The videos on YouTube don’t do it justice.

Thats why I dont get it -- music isn't all about Taylor Swift, Gaga, Katy Perry et al. There are more interesting stuff out there. Due to music download and their throwaway music, the best way for the non-America's Got Talent crap, is to go live and build up your following from the bottom-up.

bands listed in no particular order.

60s-70s, Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Motown, Brill Bldg., Led Zep, Brit Pop Rock, (Turtles, DC5, Donovan, Badfinger, Byrds, Marianne Faithfull), Bee Gees, Jimi Hendrix, The Grassroots, Young Rascals, great folk artists, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Joan Baez), many others, and a sht load of fantastic 1 - 2 hit wonders with just great songs.

70s-80s, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Stillwater, Kansas, Genesis, The Dead, Springsteen, Dire Straits, U2, Michael Jackson, The Cars, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Disco, Billy Idol, Hair Bands.

late 80s, 90s, 2000s, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Metallica, GNR, Oasis.

2010s, ------------

face it, the Golden Age of rock was over by the mid 80s, (with Live Aid to cap off the golden age), with the 60s having the best diversity.

Last edited:

60s-70s, Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Motown, Brill Bldg., Led Zep, Brit Pop Rock, (Turtles, DC5, Donovan, Badfinger, Byrds, Marianne Faithfull), Bee Gees, Jimi Hendrix, The Grassroots, Young Rascals, great folk artists, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Joan Baez), many others, and a sht load of fantastic 1 - 2 hit wonders with just great songs.

70s-80s, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Stillwater, Kansas, Genesis, The Dead, Springsteen, Dire Straits, U2, Michael Jackson, The Cars, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Disco, Billy Idol, Hair Bands.

2010s, ------------

face it, the Golden Age of rock was over by the mid 80s, (with Live Aid to cap off the golden age), with the 60s having the best diversity.

Prince? He was a fecking musical genius -- on a BBC desert disc show, Eric Clapton said that he would take (I forget which Prince album) but he was recognised.

Anyway.... off the top of my head..

70s/80s: CCR, Roxy Music, The Cure, Van Morrison, Queen, The Who, The Clash, Sex Pistols, T-Rex, The Police
80s/90s: Tracy Chapman, Macy Gray
2000s: Amy Winehouse, Adele, Paulo Nutini

Not at all. Between Future, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, et al, this is the best hip hop has been since Dre and Snoop. Yes I’m almost 40 and love hip hop. So what?

Edit: I forgot Chance the Rapper. Sublime talent.
I'm older than you and I like hip hop too. I like the old better than the new, but probably just cause I listened to it more. I like Kendrick Lamar and Chance the Rapper.

I've just recently started appreciating Alabama Shakes. Anyone like them?

I've just recently started appreciating Alabama Shakes. Anyone like them?

I’m just stuck when it comes to music. 99% of the time when people come to the house they’re going to hear zeppelin, ccr, the stones, doobie brothers, and some older bob seger. A smattering of Boston, the hollies, America, eagles, and some 70s Aerosmith has been known to creep into the playlist. Maybe some Marshall Tucker...

2010s, ------------

This is your first post that is laid out in a way that I can follow easily, so props.

I'm curious, if you thought Metallica was good in the 80s and 90s, did you also like Tool, Megadeath, Rage Against the Machine, etc.? I used to like most of those and thought Tool put on a decent show recently when I saw them in June.

I tend to go on brief stints where I soak up 90s alternative, though Nirvana has gotten old to me. But, Offspring, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush (Sixteen Stone was one of the last truly good albums where I was happy to own and listen to the entire CD) bring back good memories. The only full albums since I've bought were Linkin Park's first two, which were phenomenal.

This is your first post that is laid out in a way that I can follow easily, so props.

I'm curious, if you thought Metallica was good in the 80s and 90s, did you also like Tool, Megadeath, Rage Against the Machine, etc.? I used to like most of those and thought Tool put on a decent show recently when I saw them in June.

I tend to go on brief stints where I soak up 90s alternative, though Nirvana has gotten old to me. But, Offspring, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush (Sixteen Stone was one of the last truly good albums where I was happy to own and listen to the entire CD) bring back good memories. The only full albums since I've bought were Linkin Park's first two, which were phenomenal.

Talking strictly 90s, Seven Mary Three had some damn good songs. They came along at the wrong time. They were more rock as opposed to the alternative and “grunge” that was popular. Also, Dishwalla’s “Pet Your Friends” album was pretty underrated. SilverChair and Better Than Ezra had some good singles.

That’s your problem if you’re sticking to Top 40. Let’s take it by decade (top 3 for each):
  1. The 1980s: U2, Bon Jovi, AC/DC
  2. The 1990s: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Dr. Dre / Snoop Dogg
  3. The 2000s: Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, and Dave Matthews Band (straddles the 90s)
  4. The 2010s: The Avett Brothers, Ryan Adams, and Future. And I really love Sturgill Simpson.
Music is better now than it was 10 years ago.
I had three daughters, two were into top 40 type and one emo. At least as far as modern music, they all have a good understanding of classic rock. There is only one group all 5 (wife included) of us like, Simon and Garfunkel.

I love classic rock and classic Motown. I am not going to be known for any affection toward hip hop. And southern rock is as close as I get to country. No songs about beer, cheating spouses, and trucks.

I will look up those you mentioned and put some into Pandora and see what happens.

Let me add, I always told my kids I should not like their music. I am an older white male, something made today should not be relevant to me. Any art should speak to a specific audience. Bob Seger's new album probably has me as its audience. Anyone in their 20's should not be writing with me in mind, not if the music is meant to have social relevance. Where am I wrong in that?

Let me add, I always told my kids I should not like their music. I am an older white male, something made today should not be relevant to me. Any art should speak to a specific audience. Bob Seger's new album probably has me as its audience. Anyone in their 20's should not be writing with me in mind, not if the music is meant to have social relevance. Where am I wrong in that?
So do you only watch old movies too? Because I doubt that’s the case and thus negates your comment about not relating to modern art.

So do you only watch old movies too? Because I doubt that’s the case and thus negates your comment about not relating to modern art.

While somewhat true, I think movies are more universal in message. Think about the movies of the 60s/70s compared to the music. Some movies raged against the man (midnight cowboy), a whole lot of the music did. The music was far more tied into the counter culture than the movies were. It wasn't just that era. Even The Graduate was awful tame for The movie voice of a generation.

The children of the 60s turned against the music of musicians like Hoagie Carmichael, but their parents loved his music and their grandparents saw that jazz as the ruination of America. In the 20s, jazz was just as huge a divide as rock would be.

I think the jazz of the 20s and rock of the 60s was great because it was trying to stir things up. It was new and different and exciting. Both rebelled against the more conservative social mores. Hip hop is that for your generation, I get that. I do not like it, but I get it. Why anyone today wants to perform music more similar to Led Zep I do not get. That should not be the sound of your generation. If I like it, it just should not be great today. Just like suddenly Hoagie couldn't sell an album in 1967.

This is why music is so great. There is truly no band I find more annoying and loathsome than Bush (okay, maybe Creed), but I know lots of people who identify with their music as the soundtrack of their coming of age. That's cool. Music is just about as personal an experience as religion/spirituality. Most musicians are exploring the same big idea themes in some shape or another, but there are lots of ways to get to that big spiritual epiphany. So, what you find in Bush, I may find in Ryan Adams or OutKast, or My Chemical Romance or Austin Antoine or Tenement or Young the Giant or Pavement or Cross Canadian Ragweed or PE or...you get the idea.

Talking strictly 90s, Seven Mary Three had some damn good songs. They came along at the wrong time. They were more rock as opposed to the alternative and “grunge” that was popular. Also, Dishwalla’s “Pet Your Friends” album was pretty underrated. SilverChair and Better Than Ezra had some good singles.

Thought I heard Dishwalla was still playing on XM the other week

This is why music is so great. There is truly no band I find more annoying and loathsome than Bush (okay, maybe Creed), but I know lots of people who identify with their music as the soundtrack of their coming of age. That's cool. Music is just about as personal an experience as religion/spirituality. Most musicians are exploring the same big idea themes in some shape or another, but there are lots of ways to get to that big spiritual epiphany. So, what you find in Bush, I may find in Ryan Adams or OutKast, or My Chemical Romance or Austin Antoine or Tenement or Young the Giant or Pavement or Cross Canadian Ragweed or PE or...you get the idea.

What's even more impressive about music is that you can like music that doesn't agree with other things. I love Rage Against the Machine. Doesn't mean I support Anarchy or am anti-capitalist.

To be clear, Ryan Adams is not the same as Bryan Adams, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT