ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jerry Springer

And he was just now old enough to run for president.
clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Hell, Jerry probably laughed at that one.

clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Hell, Jerry probably laughed at that one.
He would have.

Jerry was a good guy. I had the pleasure of drinking beers with him one night in the early 90s here in Cincinnati. He was a great storyteller. He was there with a date - a very attractive woman about 20-25 years younger, who was a receptionist at my old law firm (the same firm he worked at after law school).

Jerry was also very smart. Went to law school at Northwestern. Arrived in Cincinnati in 1968/9. He often told the story of how he drove to Cincy with his belongings in his care, got lost, and ended up in the middle of a riot near downtown. Police stopped him and told him to lay on the floor of his car as the riots went on all around him.

Cincinnati has a 15K running race everyone knows as the Mini Heart Marathon. It's an absolutely brutal course and draws huge numbers. One year Jerry was the honorary starter. He was standing in the middle of the road when he fired the gun. Suddenly thousands of people were running straight at him. So Jerry just turned and started running. He ran the whole race in his dress shoes.

Another favorite was when they did a stage production of Rocky Horror at Playhouse in the Park. Jerry played the narrator (the annoying guy in the wheelchair if you've ever seen the movie). When he first appeared (on TV screens in the theater) the audience burst out laughing that Jerry had that role.

Sure he had his faults. But he was, in reality, a pretty god guy.

Last edited:
He would have.

Jerry was a good guy. I had the pleasure of drinking beers with him one night in the early 90s here in Cincinnati. He was a great storyteller. He was there with a date - a very attractive woman about 20-25 years younger, who was a receptionist at my old law firm (the same firm he worked at after law school).

Jerry was also very smart. Went to law school at Northwestern. Arrived in Cincinnati in 1968/9. He often told the story of how he drove to Cincy with his belongings in his care, got lost, and ended up in the middle of a riot near downtown. Police stopped him and told him to lay on the floor of his car as the riots went on all around him.

Cincinnati has a 15K running race everyone knows as the Mini Heart Marathon. It's an absolutely brutal course and draws huge numbers. One year Jerry was the honorary starter. He was standing in the middle of the road when he fired the gun. Suddenly thousands of people were running straight at him. So Jerry just turned and started running. He ran the whole race in his dress shoes.

Another favorite was when they did a stage production of Rocky Horror at Playhouse in the Park. Jerry played the narrator (the annoying guy in the wheelchair if you've ever seen the movie). When he first appeared (on TV screens in the theater) the audience burst out laughing that Jerry had that role.

Sure he had his faults. But he was, in reality, a pretty god guy.
His TV show was mostly a mess and I always assumed it was just a money grab for him. He was too good for that nonsense. At the same time, I liked the "Final Thought" at the end - - kind of a mini-sermon where he'd offer a positive message and sometimes even some moral insight.

Guy always struck me as smart and decent, and your post reflects that. RIP Jer-ry, Jer-ry, Jer-ry!

I was surprised to see that he was 79. For some reason I thought he was younger than that. That said, I'm not really sure why I'm surprised, he has been in the public eye for a good bit. Sometimes I'm surprised at the age I am...

His TV show was mostly a mess and I always assumed it was just a money grab for him. He was too good for that nonsense. At the same time, I liked the "Final Thought" at the end - - kind of a mini-sermon where he'd offer a positive message and sometimes even some moral insight.

Guy always struck me as smart and decent, and your post reflects that. RIP Jer-ry, Jer-ry, Jer-ry!
After his political career he was a local news anchor here in Cincinnati. He was really good. Most of the news broadcasts included commentary from Jerry (no one seems to do that anymore). His commentary was rarely negative (unless someone or something deserved negativity), and rarely (if ever) partisan. And he always ended each news broadcast with "Take care of yourself. And each other."

One more clip, from his last night as a news anchor. This was who he was, every night. I suppose times have changed, but back then I don't think anyone viewed him as leaning left or right, Democrat or Republican. Yes, he was most definitely a Democrat during his political career. But not as a news anchor.

Made $75 mil. Afforded a lifestyle most of us can only dream about. I think his talent was utilized

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania
One last little known fact about Jerry is that we was born in a London Underground (subway) station while the Nazis were bombing London.

• Wow
Reactions: Ohio Guy
Made $75 mil. Afforded a lifestyle most of us can only dream about. I think his talent was utilized
Somehow I think Jerry would have been happy with substantially less $ doing something more respectable. The Jerry Springer Show was pretty much the definition of shitshow. The only positive thing it accomplished (other than his message at the end which I alluded to above) is that it made viewers feel better about their own lives after watching the losers and whackjobs who regularly appeared on the show.

Somehow I think Jerry would have been happy with substantially less $ doing something more respectable. The Jerry Springer Show was pretty much the definition of shitshow. The only positive thing it accomplished (other than his message at the end which I alluded to above) is that it made viewers feel better other their own lives after watching the losers and whackjobs who regularly appeared on the show.
I always figured he'd have become a Charlie Rose or Larry King type interviewer. But hell, I can't give him too much stick for enjoying retirement or whatever the hell he did after the Springer show ended.

Somehow I think Jerry would have been happy with substantially less $ doing something more respectable. The Jerry Springer Show was pretty much the definition of shitshow. The only positive thing it accomplished (other than his message at the end which I alluded to above) is that it made viewers feel better other their own lives after watching the losers and whackjobs who regularly appeared on the show.
To your point, I think entertainment value was probably front and center in what he probably wanted to accomplish on that show. I doubt he was trying to move the needle on any ethical or moral dilemma in society while filming his show. I think he - and his guests - all knew the drill and happily played their part.

I always figured he'd have become a Charlie Rose or Larry King type interviewer. But hell, I can't give him too much stick for enjoying retirement or whatever the hell he did after the Springer show ended.
The older I get the more I’m willing to give credit to people who find a niche and maximize it. I guarantee he brought more enjoyment to people than any hundred thousand lawyers combined with a “respectable” practice

One last little known fact about Jerry is that we was born in a London Underground (subway) station while the Nazis were bombing London.
And I believe both of his grandmothers died in concentration camps.

The older I get the more I’m willing to give credit to people who find a niche and maximize it. I guarantee he brought more enjoyment to people than any hundred thousand lawyers combined with a “respectable” practice
When I said "respectable," I sure as hell wasn't talking about lawyers.

Guy won Emmys as a broadcast journalist. He had the smarts, talent and cash to do something more worthwhile than The Jerry Springer Show. Maybe "Judge Jerry" was a last-ditch attempt at that. Lol. But, yeah, he could laugh all the way to the bank.

P.S. Is "bringing enjoyment to people" an objective of lawyers? I never picked up on that.

Last edited:
To your point, I think entertainment value was probably front and center in what he probably wanted to accomplish on that show. I doubt he was trying to move the needle on any ethical or moral dilemma in society while filming his show. I think he - and his guests - all knew the drill and happily played their part.
Probably. And I wonder if his "Final Thought" segment was his attempt to try to accomplish something useful

When I said "respectable," I sure as hell wasn't talking about lawyers.

Guy won Emmys as a broadcast journalist. He had the smarts, talent and cash to do something more worthwhile than The Jerry Springer Show. Maybe "Judge Jerry" was a last-ditch attempt at that. Lol. But, yeah, he could laugh all the way to the bank.

P.S. Is "bringing enjoyment to people" an objective of lawyers? I never picked up on that.
Shit yeah. Deliver a settlement check. Or dissolution, sometimes….

Guy won Emmys as a broadcast journalist. He had the smarts, talent and cash to do something more worthwhile than The Jerry Springer Show.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time mustering up many good feelz about Jerry. He was a not-insignificant part of the coarsening of our society. He very well may have been a good guy personally, but big picture-wise I'd call him a net negative.

Reactions: Bowlmania
LOL.

I know a gal who is a recovering alcoholic, does the AA thing and the whole bit. Said she knew she'd hit bottom when the highlight of her day was curling up with her bottle and watching Jerry Springer.
I mean, who among us…..

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
LOL.

I know a gal who is a recovering alcoholic, does the AA thing and the whole bit. Said she knew she'd hit bottom when the highlight of her day was curling up with her bottle and watching Jerry Springer.
Not uncommon. Hell I bet the highlight of Cavs day is smoking a bowl and watching Xavier Johnson highlight videos.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yeah, I'm having a hard time mustering up many good feelz about Jerry. He was a not-insignificant part of the coarsening of our society. He very well may have been a good guy personally, but big picture-wise I'd call him a net negative.
Totally get that perspective. And Jerry probably wouldn't have disagreed with you.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT