ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Glen Frey...........

Hard to believe he is Already Gone, but that's what you get for Life in the Fast Lane. Apparently he took it to the limit or maybe he doesn't belong to the city any longer. Maybe the cheating side of town.

Hopefully the heat isn't on and he crosses at least seven bridges to get a peaceful, easy feeling and can finally take it easy.

Last edited:
Hard to believe he is Already Gone, but that's what you get for Life in the Fast Lane. Apparently he took it to the limit or maybe he doesn't belong to the city any longer. Maybe the cheating side of town.

Hopefully the heat isn't on and he crosses at least seven bridges to get a peaceful, easy feeling and can finally take it easy.
For Eagles fans there's definitely going to be a heartache tonight.

So does this mean he's no longer standing on the ground but instead he's laying under it?

For me, this loss hits hard. Eagles (they never were "The Eagles") where as important a band as any other I can think of as I was growing up. So, so, many memories around Eagles songs. And as a gigging musician in cover bands over the years, I've played many an Eagles song and I came to appreciate them. Subtle difficulty in about every song they did. Eagles songs sound simple, until you break them down to cover them, and that's when you really realize their genius.

RIP Glen Frey. Wow.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
The Eagles were an important generation-bridging force in my life. My dad and his brother both loved the Eagles, and music was an important part of bringing them together. I'd always listened to their music, as well, but wasn't even two years old when they broke up. The reunion helped bring me together with my dad and uncle musically in a much deeper way than was usually possible. The unique situation surrounding Hell Freezes Over made their music a more important part of my family than other music. So this is a loss that I feel very astutely.

That said, for me, it always felt like the Eagles broke up a second time and for good when they kicked Felder out of the band. I also wonder, going over the history of the band now, and listening to people tell stories on the news, if it's not possible that Glenn Frey was simply a dickhead, and holds the blame not only for their "14-year vacation," but also the second break up.

Anyway, I'm glad they broke up in 1980, because it created the unique situation I described above that was so important to my relationship with my dad. Still, I wonder how Felder took the news.

dudehatestheeagles.jpg

Rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis. Those are two awful diseases, both autoimmune . . . I can't imagine how much he might've suffered.

RIP indeed.

Frey was an asshole - he was a dictatorial money-grubbing whore who drove Don Felder from the band, and probably Randy Meisner, too. Plus, I'm guessing he probably had special time with Linda Ronstadt, which I'll never have. He's a sumbitch.

Oh, sorry, thought the post said rip Glen Frey, not RIP.

My bad.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Frey was an asshole - he was a dictatorial money-grubbing whore who drove Don Felder from the band, and probably Randy Meisner, too. Plus, I'm guessing he probably had special time with Linda Ronstadt, which I'll never have. He's a sumbitch.

Oh, sorry, thought the post said rip Glen Frey, not RIP.

My bad.
Nope, nope, and nope. Henley, Henley, and JD Souther.

The Eagles were an important generation-bridging force in my life. My dad and his brother both loved the Eagles, and music was an important part of bringing them together. I'd always listened to their music, as well, but wasn't even two years old when they broke up. The reunion helped bring me together with my dad and uncle musically in a much deeper way than was usually possible. The unique situation surrounding Hell Freezes Over made their music a more important part of my family than other music. So this is a loss that I feel very astutely.

That said, for me, it always felt like the Eagles broke up a second time and for good when they kicked Felder out of the band. I also wonder, going over the history of the band now, and listening to people tell stories on the news, if it's not possible that Glenn Frey was simply a dickhead, and holds the blame not only for their "14-year vacation," but also the second break up.

Anyway, I'm glad they broke up in 1980, because it created the unique situation I described above that was so important to my relationship with my dad. Still, I wonder how Felder took the news.

Glenn was the yes man to Henley's dickhead. Henley hijacked that band soon after The Eagles - Desperado. Frey helped and went along for the ride. DH wanted to make them a pop band (Hence why Meisner was let go) because he was greedy as fk and had little integrity as an artist.

Felder arranged their best piece of music, he was probably the most knowledgeable musician in the group and that includes Joe Walsh. You can see why him and Henley wouldn't get along, right?

Henley's idea to raise the gate on concerts. Four times in their career. His idea to raise album prices above industry standard, twice. His idea to charge hundreds for tickets to their reunion. These were all innovative when done because no one else was greedy enough to do it. Everyone (sports, music, and theatre) followed suit, if the Eagles could charge more, so could anyone else. Don Henley was talented as a songwriter, but he is and was the antithesis of a true musician.

Love the Eagles as a band, but Don Henley can rot in hell.

Glenn was the yes man to Henley's dickhead. Henley hijacked that band soon after The Eagles - Desperado. Frey helped and went along for the ride. DH wanted to make them a pop band (Hence why Meisner was let go) because he was greedy as fk and had little integrity as an artist.

Felder arranged their best piece of music, he was probably the most knowledgeable musician in the group and that includes Joe Walsh. You can see why him and Henley wouldn't get along, right?

Henley's idea to raise the gate on concerts. Four times in their career. His idea to raise album prices above industry standard, twice. His idea to charge hundreds for tickets to their reunion. These were all innovative when done because no one else was greedy enough to do it. Everyone (sports, music, and theatre) followed suit, if the Eagles could charge more, so could anyone else. Don Henley was talented as a songwriter, but he is and was the antithesis of a true musician.

That's like the end of innocence for the listener. Desperado times for the consumer. But that's life in the fast lane if you're trying to keep up with your favorite bands.

I think you mean Leadon and not Meisner. Leadon was definitely a country guitarist and didn like the rock/pop direction and was replaced by Walsh. Meisner was replaced by Timothy B Schmidt at the very end who basically was a Meisner clone.

I think you mean Leadon and not Meisner. Leadon was definitely a country guitarist and didn like the rock/pop direction and was replaced by Walsh. Meisner was replaced by Timothy B Schmidt at the very end who basically was a Meisner clone.
no ... I didn't.

Well Mesiner left on his own, and it had nothing to do with the style of the band. Leadon's departure had everything to do with it.

They were both basically forced out. Poco wasn't a pop band.

Then it wouldn't make sense to replace him with another bassist from Poco like Timothy B Schmit...but they did.
except Henley was an over controlling giant douche that made Meisner miserable ..

Henley was/is a better song writer, but as with Lennon/McCartney, nothing they ever did separately was as good as what they did together.

Most guys at the top of any profession are assheads - especially once they get some $$$
"If I'm not better than you, why do I have this plane?"

I forgive them.
They know no what they do.
Money and power kill the good in people every time.

You seem to be getting down to the heart of the matter in airing this dirty laundry.
I'm just taking it easy this afternoon, hoping for a tequila sunrise tomorrow. Hope a witchy woman is in my bed, but knowing it will be my wife will be more of me taking it to the limit of pressing the issue.

except Henley was an over controlling giant douche that made Meisner miserable ..

Then it wouldn't make sense to replace him with another bassist from Poco like Timothy B Schmit...but they did.

That's faulty logic. Meisner's refusal to acquiesce to Henley's demands in no way relates to Schmit's joining DH and selling out just because they both played in the same band.

That's faulty logic. Meisner's refusal to acquiesce to Henley's demands in no way relates to Schmit's joining DH and selling out just because they both played in the same band.
Plus TS wrote pop songs, he was a better fit for Henley's greedy vision. Meisner had integrity. Walsh was added to give them more street cred, at first he was as miserable, then he eventually became Henley's 2nd yes man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT