ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Charlie Daniels

Now that guy was a one-hit wonder . . . he made a career out of one song . . . .

RIP Charlie . . . .

I hope that was sarcastic. While not a huge fan of the man's music, casual at best, even I know the guy has had several hits over the years. As a solo artist and with his band, he's had 4 Billboard top 10 and a few dozen Billboard top 100 songs as well.

I hope that was sarcastic. While not a huge fan of the man's music, casual at best, even I know the guy has had several hits over the years. As a solo artist and with his band, he's had 4 Billboard top 10 and a few dozen Billboard top 100 songs as well.
You're a better man than I am, A4Y.

I grew up when TDWDTG was a big hit and never heard of the guy other than that.

Never liked the dude. Just never did. And was always annoyed at being asked to play one his songs when I played in cover bands. We never did.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I pretty much did.
He was okay in the mid to late 70's. Turned into a common asshat soon after DWDtG. Wrote some horrible topical tripe in that period. Backwoods douchebag lyric stuff. Then went full asshat after as his musical fans left him and a more musically and socially ignorant crowd joined.

Marshall Tucker Band was so much better.

Last edited:
I didn't like TDWDTG much myself, catchy tune and all, but meh. My favorite was Uneasy Rider, but you couldn't have sat in any redneck bar or jukebox steakhouse during the 80's or 90's and not heard a few of these...

What happened to the Charlie Daniels that WROTE/sang Uneasy Rider? For most of his later years he seemed to EPITOMIZE the people he originally lampooned in that song...

One of the characters (Cletus or whatever) utters the immortal line "I'm a faithful follower of Brother John Birch", and it's clear Charlie is ridiculing that extreme right-wing philosophy espoused by Birchers. But Charlie's own forrays into the political arena for the past 20 yrs or so when he penned opinion pieces and op-eds were decidedly Birch-like. So how do you end up not only accepting but enthusiastically embracing a political philosophy that you earlier viewed as contemptible?

What happened to the Charlie Daniels that WROTE/sang Uneasy Rider? For most of his later years he seemed to EPITOMIZE the people he originally lampooned in that song...

One of the characters (Cletus or whatever) utters the immortal line "I'm a faithful follower of Brother John Birch", and it's clear Charlie is ridiculing that extreme right-wing philosophy espoused by Birchers. But Charlie's own forrays into the political arena for the past 20 yrs or so when he penned opinion pieces and op-eds were decidedly Birch-like. So how do you end up not only accepting but enthusiastically embracing a political philosophy that you earlier viewed as contemptible?

I dunno, you'd have to ask him....;)

It could be that pesky Christianity. I'm not sure what year Charlie came to Jesus but I do know that Christ made a change in his life.

It could be that pesky Christianity. I'm not sure what year Charlie came to Jesus but I do know that Christ made a change in his life.

Listen to the song, and tell me what part of Christianity would be embracing the bigots who attack the guy in the song for having long hair and being a hippie?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Listen to the song, and tell me what part of Christianity would be embracing the bigots who attack the guy in the song for having long hair and being a hippie?
I actually didn't know that song. But was just explaining perhaps why a change was made. I don't think Charlie would look down on anyone because of hair length from what I have heard from him on interviews. I am sure he would reject the hippie lifestyle because of his Christian faith. If you think about it the lifestyle was not just about hair. It was a lot of seedy stuff.

I actually didn't know that song. But was just explaining perhaps why a change was made. I don't think Charlie would look down on anyone because of hair length from what I have heard from him on interviews. I am sure he would reject the hippie lifestyle because of his Christian faith. If you think about it the lifestyle was not just about hair. It was a lot of seedy stuff.
I think a part of the hippie lifestyle centered around some pretty solid values - peace, love and understanding. The lifestyle was certainly not just about hair and, from my humble perspective, aligns much more with the philosophy of Christ than some of your utterances. You seem very judgemental about people and practices that you know very little about. Help me understand - are you saying that hippies cannot be Christians? Are hippies viewed less favorably in Christ's eyes than Trump and those that enable him? Serious question.

I think a part of the hippie lifestyle centered around some pretty solid values - peace, love and understanding. The lifestyle was certainly not just about hair and, from my humble perspective, aligns much more with the philosophy of Christ than some of your utterances. You seem very judgemental about people and practices that you know very little about. Help me understand - are you saying that hippies cannot be Christians? Are hippies viewed less favorably in Christ's eyes than Trump and those that enable him? Serious question.

Guessing you don't know VPM?

did you sell me an iPhone?

Dues ...

Unlike the OTFettes, Jesus liked err'body.

Got him killed too.

Reactions: outside shooter

Most of the real 60's-70's hippies with those attributes became what was called "Jesus freaks"

I figure that was how VPM got into the business

One day you're at Woodstock - the next you're at a commune trying to grow beets - then you're starting churches and taking love offerings and "lifting up" messages.

Most of the real 60's-70's hippies with those attributes became what was called "Jesus freaks"

I figure that was how VPM got into the business

One day you're at Woodstock - the next you're at a commune trying to grow beets - then you're starting churches and taking love offerings and "lifting up" messages.

...then you're hacking people up with Charlie, whipping up a batch of KoolAid with Jim or checking out your fire protective gear with Dave... or grabbing a pizza with VPM.

...then you're hacking people up with Charlie, whipping up a batch of KoolAid with Jim or checking out your fire protective gear with Dave... or grabbing a pizza with VPM.
It's not just pizza, it's Mr. Gatti's.

You agree to indemnify and hold Mr. Gatti’s Pizza, LLC, its parents, subsidiaries, officers, employees and Site contractors and each of their officers, employees and agents harmless from any claims, damages and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, related to your violation of these Terms of Use, or any violations thereof by your dependents or which arises from the use of submitted content.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT