ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bob Knight

We knew it was coming but, why did this shock me/scare me when I saw multiple 'Coach Knight' topics trending.

Wasn't he at practice a few weeks ago?

Man, again we knew it was coming and, we all have it coming as no one is getting out of here alive but still, damn.

😭😭😭

They'd better bury him upside down.

This is crushing. I was a freshman on campus when Coach was hired. We were watching the press conference on WISH-TV when Bill Orwig said, “We’re here to announce today that the new men’s basketball coach at Indiana University will be Bob Knight.”

The camera then switched over to Coach as we said, “Who?”

We didn’t know. We didn’t remember him from the great Lucas/Havlicek/Siegfried teams at Ohio State. But as the camera panned over we saw the deep, penetrating dark eyes and the intensity radiated through the black&white TV.

We learned, though. Damn, did we learn. We were the Hurryin’ Hoosiers.

What the fvck was defense?

We’ll never see another.

We were in Athens, Georgia today, shopping. Stopped at one of the clubhouse bars before heading home. Heard Brett Baer announce it as we were driving home and almost wrecked the car. My bride is concerned as the tears are flowing. I just didn’t think this would happen so soon.

Go with God, Coach.

The first story I ever heard about Coach Knight was about an Army basketball practice. Some officer showed up in the gym to run laps during practice. Coach Knight asked him to leave until after practice. The officer pulled rank and said the gym was basically always “open“ to the military guys. He kept running. Knight allegedly started throwing basketballs against the wall just in front of the guys head. When the guy yelled “WTF are you doing,” Knight allegedly said that after practice, this was what he did during open gym.

I doubt if it was true, but I want it to be.

I moved back to Indiana in late Summer 1971, right before his first season at IU. My last year at IU was 1987. I got to see his best. It was awesome.

I always loved the story he told about how he was talking with some friend who was in the Trailblazer brass about Jordan pre draft and he told him Michael was the most talented player he's ever been around.

His friend said 'but we need a center' to which Knight replied....'then play him at center'.

I always loved the story he told about how he was talking with some friend who was in the Trailblazer brass about Jordan pre draft and he told him Michael was the most talented player he's ever been around.

His friend said 'but we need a center' to which Knight replied....'then play him at center'.
Stu Inman. They had Clyde Drexler.

Drafted Sam Bowie.

The rest is history.

This is crushing. I was a freshman on campus when Coach was hired. We were watching the press conference on WISH-TV when Bill Orwig said, “We’re here to announce today that the new men’s basketball coach at Indiana University will be Bob Knight.”

We didn’t know. We didn’t remember him from the great Lucas/Havlicek/Siegfried teams at Ohio State. But as the camera panned over we saw the deep, penetrating dark eyes and the intensity radiated through the black&white TV.

We’ll never see another.

We were in Athens, Georgia today, shopping. Stopped at one of the clubhouse bars before heading home. Heard Brett Baer announce it as we were driving home and almost wrecked the car. My bride is concerned as the tears are flowing. I just didn’t think this would happen so soon.

Go with God, Coach.

To book end that, I was a junior and attended his last game coaching in Assembly Hall and then I was there the night he came out to tell us all to go home and give the police a break after he was fired (Senior year)

Honestly, the energy hasn't been quite the same since then. There have been games I enjoyed and we have had some high points (and a whole bunch of low) but it has just been different.

Honestly, he is probably the main reason any of us are on a forum like this to begin with. RIP Coach Knight.

To book end that, I was a junior and attended his last game coaching in Assembly Hall and then I was there the night he came out to tell us all to go home and give the police a break after he was fired (Senior year)

Honestly, the energy hasn't been quite the same since then. There have been games I enjoyed and we have had some high points (and a whole bunch of low) but it has just been different.

Honestly, he is probably the main reason any of us are on a forum like this to begin with. RIP Coach Knight.
That first year was such culture shock.

Bootsie White, during a game against Kansas, as the crowd was getting restless with the offense and people were shouting out, “Shoot!!”, dribbled over by the bench and said, “Don’t worry, Chief, I don’t hear them.”

We’ll never see another.

Go with God, Coach.

Damn, you're old.

:p

Reactions: Univee2
That first year was such culture shock.

Bootsie White, during a game against Kansas, as the crowd was getting restless with the offense and people were shouting out, “Shoot!!”, dribbled over by the bench and said, “Don’t worry, Chief, I don’t hear them.”
Hilarious

he’d have been on the Dream Team. What a dogshit day
He’d have taken your spot though coach.

I was in his Coaching Basketball class senior year. Took me a few semesters waitlisted to get in. He was hardly ever there. Elleneberger did most of the teaching. But he’d show up on occasion.

The classroom was in Assembly Hall and was, I believe, the media room. It had about 25 schoolhouse desks. The kind that wrap around. Anyway, we’re there (on time because if you weren’t you were locked out) before class and Knight walks in. Everybody shuts up and straightens up. Eyes forward. Except for one guy. He keeps talking. Has his head turned. Oblivious. Knight is just staring him down. Says, “hey kid you mind if I teach this class?” Kid has the AUDACITY to say class hasn’t started yet. The rest of us were like a pack of animals trying to stand still so the lion wont see us. Knight threw him out and made him stand outside the classroom door for the entire class. Then He kicked him out permanently. Nobody ever spoke during class again.

Still have the binder I created for the class. It was our entire grade.

Last edited:
My brother's "room mate" at IU basketball camp got thrown out 2 mins in to camp for wearing a hat to the introduction meeting. :D

Not sure if he even got a refund.
My cousin went to a Digger Phelps basketball camp at Notre Dame and said that a kid got kicked out during Digger's introductory talk at the beginning of that camp. Guys from a bygone era.

Frank DeFord’s SI piece on him was imo the best at looking at him through a few different lenses & addressing both the brilliance & baffling sides of him. Reread it last night after someone linked it on X.
The Rabbit Hunter
Definitely a legend from a bygone era. If a coach said some of the stuff Knight said to Joby Wright in that article today, there would be protests for weeks and all the national media outlets would cover it until said coach was fired and cancelled.

My first experience of Knight was my freshmen year at Purdue when IU came to town for basketball. When Knight walked onto the court the boos were deafening. Never heard anything like it before (or since). I swear he patted a Purdue cheerleader on her bottom (or maybe I just imagined that), and the boos got even louder.

A few minutes later, just before tipoff, Purdue presented Knight with a check ($25,000?) for the Landon Turner fund (Turner had been paralyzed in a car accident the previous summer). The crowd stood and applauded as Knight accepted the check.

We hated Knight with a passion. That's what intense rivalries do to you. But, we also respected Knight for what he accomplished and his immense talent as a coach. Those games between Keady and Knight were great - as good as Bo v. Woody. I can't think of anything comparable today.

Frank DeFord’s SI piece on him was imo the best at looking at him through a few different lenses & addressing both the brilliance & baffling sides of him. Reread it last night after someone linked it on X.
The Rabbit Hunter

Was enthralled with the Deford writings about the extremely complicted Bobby Knight.

While reading about his wife Nancy and her remarks about Bobby my thoughts ran to what caused their divorce. Ask this because the Deford piece indicates she knew Bobby well and accepted him as he was.

Do any of you who have followed Knight closely over the years and read profusely about him have any insight about the divorce ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT