ADVERTISEMENT

Riddler: find the fake coins

The first one is easy. Split into three sets of three. Set one of the three aside and weigh the remaining two sets. If one is heavier than the other then put the other coins aside and focus on those three. If both set of three you weigh are the same then focus on the set you didn't weigh. For the three coins you are focusing on take one coin out of that set and weigh the other two. If the two weigh the same then the third coin is the fake. if one is heavier then it is the fake.

12 coins. (Assumes I can get ratios from the balance (which should be doable but the procedure might be more involved) Each time I take a weighing I put the number in brackets [] e.g., [2] means it is the second weighing.

Put 6 on (L)eft and 3 on (R)ight set 3 (A)side.
[!.] Weigh L against R
Three cases.
I. L weighs exactly 2xR
II. L is heavier than 2xR
III. L is lighter than 2xR

I. Fake is known to be in A.
[2] weigh A against R. if A heavier (lighter) than R then fake is heavier (lighter)
[3] weigh two of the three coins in A. if one is heavier (lighter) it is the fake. If they are the same then the fake is the unweighed coin is the heavier (lighter) fake.

II. Fake is known to be in the 9. Set aside R and
[2]. Split L into two sets of three and weigh
i. if the sets are not equal the heavier set must contain the fake which is heavier
ii. the sets are equal in which case the set R contains the fake and it is lighter.
In either case we can determine the fake using the information from i or ii and using the same procedure as in [3] with one weighing as above.
Case III. Is analogous to case II.
Simple balance scale means you can't figure ratios. You just know which side is heavier, that's it.

Simple balance scale means you can't figure ratios. You just know which side is heavier, that's it.

sorry dude, but it's all there.

as for how i know if the ringer is heavier or lighter, i just went through that.

if we know the ringer is in stack 3, then we know all of stacks 1 and 2 are legit, and become "control" coins.

so when we weigh 3 from stack 3 vs 3 from the control group, they are either equal, or one of the 3 from stack 3 is heavier or lighter.

if the 3 from stack 3 is heavier than the 3 from the control group, then the ringer is heavier than the real coins. (and vice versa).

as for "alt solution", why is my solution an alt solution?

sorry dude, but it's all there.

as for how i know if the ringer is heavier or lighter, i just went through that.

if we know the ringer is in stack 3, then we know all of stacks 1 and 2 are legit, and become "control" coins.

so when we weigh 3 from stack 3 vs 3 from the control group, they are either equal, or one of the 3 from stack 3 is heavier or lighter.

if the 3 from stack 3 is heavier than the 3 from the control group, then the ringer is heavier than the real coins. (and vice versa).

as for "alt solution", why is my solution an alt solution?
An alternative to Marvin's, which also works. Doesn't mean your solution is lesser, just that it's different.

I like your solution. The key was when you added the specification that you were taking two from the heavy and one from the light (or the other way around, as long as it's specific), rather than A or B. That's what got over that last hurdle of possibly ending up with a bad coin, but not knowing if it's lighter or heavier.

All weightings are of 4 coins. The trick is each coin never shares the side of the scale with the same coin. So if you weigh 1,2,3, and 4 on the left side to start, 1 can never be on the same side as 2, 3, 4 again.

Left. Right
1234. 5678
159a 627b
16a0. 5b49

Coins being weighed once are 3, 8, 0. If they are off, their side will be lighter/heavier. The two weightings without the will be equal.

1, 5, 6 are weighed 3 times. Their side will always be off and either heavier or lighter.

All other coins are weighed twice. In the weighing without them, if they are off the sides will be equal in the weighting they are not in.

Note, I didn't double check the distribution above to make sure it is perfect. It may be I have to slightly rearrange the coins. But the concept is accurate, three coins are weighed 3 times, 3 once, and 6 twice. The counselor weighed twice cannot share/oppose sides with the same coin twice unless it is a 3 measure coin.
Suppose 1234=5678 so you know the fake is 90ab. It follows that if 159a=627b then we know that 0 is the fake and we can weigh it against any other coin to find out if it is heavier or lighter. But what if 159a>627b? Then we know that the fake is in 9ab but we don't know if it lighter or heavier. We only have 1 weighing left so we can't figure it out. So...I don't think your procedure works in all cases.

Suppose 1234=5678 so you know the fake is 90ab. It follows that if 159a=627b then we know that 0 is the fake and we can weigh it against any other coin to find out if it is heavier or lighter. But what if 159a>627b? Then we know that the fake is in 9ab but we don't know if it lighter or heavier. We only have 1 weighing left so we can't figure it out. So...I don't think your procedure works in all cases.
Marvin's layout is incorrect, because he was trying to recreate it from memory, but his process works. Switch the 8 for the first b in his layout, and I think that clears it up.

All weightings are of 4 coins. The trick is each coin never shares the side of the scale with the same coin. So if you weigh 1,2,3, and 4 on the left side to start, 1 can never be on the same side as 2, 3, 4 again.

Left. Right
1234. 5678
159a 627b
16a0. 5b49

Coins being weighed once are 3, 8, 0. If they are off, their side will be lighter/heavier. The two weightings without the will be equal.

/QUOTE]I am not persuaded Marvin's story is correct.
If we are going to weigh 4 against 4 in the first weighing. I can see what to do if that weighing produces an equality (see note below) but not what to do if there is an inequality. If Marvin's answer is correct then someone should be able to tell me how to solve the following problem.

Problem. We have coins 1234567890ab. All are fair but one which is either heavier or lighter than all the rest. Coins 1234 were weighed against 5678 with w(1234) > w(5678). Now we have learned the following: (1) coins 90ab are fair; (2) either the bad coin is heavy and in 1234 or light and in 5678. We have two weightings remaining to determine the fake coin. How to do it?

Note. Suppose 1234=5678. Then we know that coins 12345678 are fair and 09ab contains the fake but not whether it is heavy or light. In that case we can weigh 90a and 123. If it is an inequality then we know the bad coin is in 90a and whether it is heavy or light and one more weighing tells us the bad coin. If it is an equality then the bad coin is b and we are done (or can determine whether it is heavy or light with the last permitted weighing).

Ok Ivegotwinners does it.

3 stacks A,B, C of 4 coins each.

Let me do an example to follow along in the case of inequality.
if stacks A & B come out unequal,

Let’s say stack A=1234 > 5678=Stack B and thus we know fake is either heavy in A or light in B

remove 2 coins from stack A, and 1 coin from stack B, and set those 3 coins aside.

Ok, remove 34 from stack A=12 and remove 8 from B=567. Call OA=34 original stack A and OB=8 original stack B

stack A now has 2 coins, stack B now has 3 coins. (5 coins total).

yes

move 2 coins from stack B to stack A,

I move 56 from B to A so A=1256 and B=7

move 1 original coin from stack 1 to stack 2. (you've flipped 3 coins, 2 coins are still in their original stack). stack 1 now has 3 coins, and stack 2 has 2 coins.

Okay I move 2 to B so A=156 and B=27…3 coins in A 2 coins in B as you say.

now take 1 coin from stack 3, (which you now know isn't the ringer, as none from stack 3 are the ringer) and put it in stack 2.

Stack C=09ab. I take 0 from C and let B=270. So A=156 and B=270

you now have 2 stacks of 3 coins each.

Correct. Now I do my second weighing of A and B.

if the 2 stacks are now balanced, then the ringer is one of the 3 you just removed and set aside.

Let’s consider the case that A=B…that leave me knowing that the fake is in 348 and either heavy if in 34 or light if in 8. But I only have one weighing to go. So I can weigh 38 and 56. If 38 is heavier then I know fake is 3 and heavy. If it is lighter then I know 8 is the fake and lighter. If equal then I know 4 is the fake and heavier. Check.

if the stacks are still unbalanced, but the imbalance is flipped from one stack to the other, then it's one of the 3 coins you flipped from one stack to the other.

Ok A=156<270=B. Fake is not 1 because it 1 is fake only if heavier, similarly not 7 because 7 is lighter. So fake is either 5 or 6 and lighter or 2 and heavier. So, as above, weigh 25 against fair coins 78. If lighter then fake is 5 , if heavier then fake is 2, and if equal fake is 6 and lighter. Check

if the 2 stacks are still unbalanced, and the imbalance remains in favor of your original measurement, then it's one of the 2 coins still in their original stack.

Ok A=156>270=B. Fake is either 1 and heavy or 7 and light. Weigh 1 against 2. If 1 is heavier then 1 is the heavy fake. If it is equal then 7 is the fake and light. Check

The official answer is very similar to IGW's (congrats, @i'vegotwinners ), although it's a little more elegant:

You now have 12 gold coins, but again, one has been doctored. It’s known to have a different weight than the others, but it could be heavier or lighter. How can you determine the doctored coin, and whether it’s heavier or lighter, with only three weighings?

The goal is to tease out as much information as you can from a single weighing, so you can get down to three candidates that you can figure out in a single weighing, like we did in the Express.

Start by putting four coins on each side of the scale. Assume that your first weighing balances. You now have four impure candidates (the four coins you did not weigh) and eight control coins (the eight you did weigh). Weigh three of the candidates against three of the controls, setting aside one candidate. If your second weighing balances, you’re almost done: The culprit is the candidate you left aside and you can use your third weighing to test whether it’s heavier or lighter than the pure coins. If your second weighing tips, you know whether the culprit is heavier or lighter based on how it tips, and you know it is one of three candidate coins. Your third weighing is the same as in the Riddler Express: Weigh one candidate against one other. If they balance, the one you left aside is the culprit. If it tips, the culprit is the one causing the tipping, and you already know if it’s heavier or lighter.

But what if your first weighing tips? Things get a little trickier here, as the puzzle’s submitter, Josh Kaplan, explains. You now have four heavy candidate coins, four light candidate coins, and four control coins. Keep good track of these! For your second weighing, place the coins like so: HHLL vs. HLCC. If this second weighing balances, you are left with one heavy candidate coin and one light candidate coin. Use your third weighing to compare a heavy candidate with a control coin — if it tips, you found the culprit heavy coin, and if it balances, the culprit is a light coin you set aside. If this second weighing tips, it’ll tip either left-side up or right-side up. If it tips left-side up, you are left with only the two light candidates on the left and the one heavy candidate on the right. For the third weighing, pit the two light candidates against each other, and you’re done. If it tips right-side up, you are left with only the two heavy candidates on the left and the one light candidate on the right. For the third weighing, pit the two heavy candidates each other, and you’re done.

The official answer is very similar to IGW's (congrats, @i'vegotwinners ), although it's a little more elegant:

You now have 12 gold coins, but again, one has been doctored. It’s known to have a different weight than the others, but it could be heavier or lighter. How can you determine the doctored coin, and whether it’s heavier or lighter, with only three weighings?

The goal is to tease out as much information as you can from a single weighing, so you can get down to three candidates that you can figure out in a single weighing, like we did in the Express.

Start by putting four coins on each side of the scale. Assume that your first weighing balances. You now have four impure candidates (the four coins you did not weigh) and eight control coins (the eight you did weigh). Weigh three of the candidates against three of the controls, setting aside one candidate. If your second weighing balances, you’re almost done: The culprit is the candidate you left aside and you can use your third weighing to test whether it’s heavier or lighter than the pure coins. If your second weighing tips, you know whether the culprit is heavier or lighter based on how it tips, and you know it is one of three candidate coins. Your third weighing is the same as in the Riddler Express: Weigh one candidate against one other. If they balance, the one you left aside is the culprit. If it tips, the culprit is the one causing the tipping, and you already know if it’s heavier or lighter.

But what if your first weighing tips? Things get a little trickier here, as the puzzle’s submitter, Josh Kaplan, explains. You now have four heavy candidate coins, four light candidate coins, and four control coins. Keep good track of these! For your second weighing, place the coins like so: HHLL vs. HLCC. If this second weighing balances, you are left with one heavy candidate coin and one light candidate coin. Use your third weighing to compare a heavy candidate with a control coin — if it tips, you found the culprit heavy coin, and if it balances, the culprit is a light coin you set aside. If this second weighing tips, it’ll tip either left-side up or right-side up. If it tips left-side up, you are left with only the two light candidates on the left and the one heavy candidate on the right. For the third weighing, pit the two light candidates against each other, and you’re done. If it tips right-side up, you are left with only the two heavy candidates on the left and the one light candidate on the right. For the third weighing, pit the two heavy candidates each other, and you’re done.
That's the exact same way I would solve it. :)

Good job I've got winners. Good job Goat for a fun thread!

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT