ADVERTISEMENT

Republican house members storm SCIF

This is must watch...Not only for Judge Nap's precise rendering of the applicable rule and how it was the Pubs who changed the Rules in 2015,but also for the reaction from the 3 stooges. They clearly expected Nap to come on there and commiserate with Pub whining about "transparency", and they aren't willing to give up without a fight when they find the tables turned.Esp love his rejoinder to the chick who throws out the "but they've been trying to impeach him forever" mantra-
when he shuts her off with "change the rules!". It's like he's saying "tough shit Bitch"...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-napolitano-frustrating-schiff-following-110500146.html
The only rule change Boehner made was to allow committee chairs to issue subpoenas on their own authority without committee votes.

The only rule change Boehner made was to allow committee chairs to issue subpoenas on their own authority without committee votes.

What point are you trying to make? To me it looks like you're reinforcing the fact that the current actions are playing by established rules that were approved by republicans when they were on the investigating side. They could have made other changes and did not, and explicitly supported the things that are getting screamed about today.

Reactions: meridian
What point are you trying to make? To me it looks like you're reinforcing the fact that the current actions are playing by established rules that were approved by republicans when they were on the investigating side. They could have made other changes and did not, and explicitly supported the things that are getting screamed about today.
Napolitano was wrong.

Napolitano was wrong.

What point are you trying to make here? You're evading the question of what specific issues you have with the current rules that the republicans approved of during the last major set of investigations. You're also not giving any specifics on what you think Napolitano got wrong or why it matters.

Reactions: Bill4411
I’ve inadvertently walked in with my work cell in my pocket on a couple occasions over the years because I forgot I had it. Soon as I realized it, immediately after walking in for me, I reported it and left to secure it outside. That happens. Nothing was compromised. Repeatedly doing it showing possible gross negligence or even intent, or doing something with it that actually compromises classified information could lead to administrative or legal consequences depending on the circumstances.

I basically agree with the rest of your post. If the Sergeant at Arms asks you to hand over your electronic devices, you wouldn't ignore that request. These clowns not only ignored him, but then began tweeting from those same devices. I don't know what kind of power the Sergeant at Arms has, but that's outrageous conduct.

What point are you trying to make here? You're evading the question of what specific issues you have with the current rules that the republicans approved of during the last major set of investigations. You're also not giving any specifics on what you think Napolitano got wrong or why it matters.
Boehner didn't make any changes to rules on impeachment.

Since we aren’t Congressmen, we might be charged with Trespassing and creating a disturbance. Unless we took pictures of classified documents or recorded classified briefings and texted, tweeted or emailed them to someone, there wouldn’t be any charges related to espionage or anything like that.

These unruly boneheads are members of Congress so they wouldn’t be charged with trespassing. I’d be OK with charging them with creating a disturbance, but isn’t creating disturbances kind of what politicians do? Unfortunately, it seems to be. I understand that testimony stopped so they couldn’t have recorded that and done anything with it. We also don’t know anything classified was being discussed. Just being in a SCIF doesn’t make what’s happening in the room classified. I’ve read nothing about them sending out pictures of classified information and seriously doubt that was lying around to be compromised.

Taking a cell phone into a SCIF or any Controlled Access Area, is a violation of procedures, not a crime in and of itself. I’ve inadvertently walked in with my work cell in my pocket on a couple occasions over the years because I forgot I had it. Soon as I realized it, immediately after walking in for me, I reported it and left to secure it outside. That happens. Nothing was compromised. Repeatedly doing it showing possible gross negligence or even intent, or doing something with it that actually compromises classified information could lead to administrative or legal consequences depending on the circumstances.

What we have here is a very stupid political stunt. It’s not the first stupid political stunt by politicians and won’t be the last.

I will say Congress is notorious for carelessly or internationally leaking classified information. If it were up to me there would be consequences for that, but there pretty much never is. Maybe someone has been issued a sternly worded verbal admonishment at some point, but I don’t know. However, I don’t see this as anything as serious as that. I suppose someone unfamiliar with these things could jade it differently.
Really good post.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/23/impeachment-republicans-trump-055688

This seems wildly out of line. It shows a deep disrespect for the whistleblower process and for the protection of sensitive information. There are Republican members of the committees that are hearing every bit of the closed-door testimony, this is simply theater designed to delegitimize the process.

I'm especially interested in hearing from folks like Aloha who are familiar with SCIFs and what it means that these folks pushed their way inside with cell phones.

Storming in...storming out...lots of dramatic grandstanding. Not impressed.

Get to work.

Last edited:
Napolitano was wrong.
No, he wasn't. He said Schiff is operating under the rules. He was right. He said the current version of the rules have been in place since 2015. He was right. He said that previous investigations - including previous impeachments - started with initial interviews in private. He was right. He said that these interviews are not actual impeachment proceedings, which, if and when they happen, will be held in public. He was right.

This AM on CNN, Rick Santorum said the GOP was wrong in how it impeached Clinton and they should have worked harder to be bipartisan about it. Of course he said that in reference to his complaints the Dems aren't bipartisan today. Hmm, I wonder if Rick Santorum EVER said that before, like when the Clinton impeachment was happening?

It turns out Republicans are using their time with witnesses exactly as you'd expect them to:

Republican lawmakers have used the congressional impeachment inquiry to gather information on a CIA employee who filed a whistleblower complaint, press witnesses on their loyalty to President Trump and advance conspiratorial claims that Ukraine was involved in the 2016 election, according to current and former officials involved in the proceedings.

GOP members and staffers have repeatedly raised the name of a person suspected of filing the whistleblower complaint that exposed Trump’s effort to pressure Ukraine to conduct investigations into his political adversaries, officials said.

. . . As a result, Democrats contend that Republicans are not using the inquiry to uncover facts about the administration’s interactions with Ukraine. “There’s been zero interest [among the GOP] in actually getting to the conduct of the president,” a Democratic lawmaker said. “It’s not the subject of their questioning at all.”

. . . Republicans appear to be trying to link their concerns about the Steele dossier to Ukraine, a country Trump has said, without evidence, interfered in the election. One Democratic official present for witness testimony said Republicans were asking witnesses things like, “Are you aware that part of the evidence in the Steele Dossier originated in Ukraine?”

“The witnesses are like, ‘I have no idea what you’re talking about,’ which makes sense, because it’s totally made up,” an official said.

. . . Republicans have also used their time to go after Biden, including citing Trump’s unsubstantiated allegation that Biden used his position as vice president to pressure Ukraine to fire a prosecutor who had been investigating the energy company that had employed Biden’s son. During an interview with George Kent, the deputy assistant secretary of state responsible for Ukraine, GOP questioners repeatedly asked the diplomat whether the United States had led the effort to remove the Ukrainian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin.

U.S. officials did press for Shokin’s removal amid concerns that he was allowing corruption to go unchecked in Ukraine, a position backed at the time by U.S. allies in Europe.
But for bad faith bullshit, Republicans have defense of Trump at all.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
It turns out Republicans are using their time with witnesses exactly as you'd expect them to:

Republican lawmakers have used the congressional impeachment inquiry to gather information on a CIA employee who filed a whistleblower complaint, press witnesses on their loyalty to President Trump and advance conspiratorial claims that Ukraine was involved in the 2016 election, according to current and former officials involved in the proceedings.

GOP members and staffers have repeatedly raised the name of a person suspected of filing the whistleblower complaint that exposed Trump’s effort to pressure Ukraine to conduct investigations into his political adversaries, officials said.

. . . As a result, Democrats contend that Republicans are not using the inquiry to uncover facts about the administration’s interactions with Ukraine. “There’s been zero interest [among the GOP] in actually getting to the conduct of the president,” a Democratic lawmaker said. “It’s not the subject of their questioning at all.”

. . . Republicans appear to be trying to link their concerns about the Steele dossier to Ukraine, a country Trump has said, without evidence, interfered in the election. One Democratic official present for witness testimony said Republicans were asking witnesses things like, “Are you aware that part of the evidence in the Steele Dossier originated in Ukraine?”

“The witnesses are like, ‘I have no idea what you’re talking about,’ which makes sense, because it’s totally made up,” an official said.

. . . Republicans have also used their time to go after Biden, including citing Trump’s unsubstantiated allegation that Biden used his position as vice president to pressure Ukraine to fire a prosecutor who had been investigating the energy company that had employed Biden’s son. During an interview with George Kent, the deputy assistant secretary of state responsible for Ukraine, GOP questioners repeatedly asked the diplomat whether the United States had led the effort to remove the Ukrainian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin.

U.S. officials did press for Shokin’s removal amid concerns that he was allowing corruption to go unchecked in Ukraine, a position backed at the time by U.S. allies in Europe.

Can anyone explain why they vote republican?

Respect for the rule of law is out the window. Respect for the constitution is out the window. Respect for the military and our allies is out the window. Fiscal responsibility is out the window. Family values was never really there.

Is it fear of not being able to own 500 guns?

Can anyone explain why they vote republican?

Respect for the rule of law is out the window. Respect for the constitution is out the window. Respect for the military and our allies is out the window. Fiscal responsibility is out the window. Family values was never really there.

Is it fear of not being able to own 500 guns?

I’ve had this same question. The core principles of conservatism are gone. If what appeals to you are those principles, what is left of them in the current version of the GOP? Doesn’t seem like there is much left IMO. The foreign policy shift alone is seismic, not to mention the trade policy. The supporters of this GOP are certainly not conservatives.

I am still waiting for a Republican to explain how the Democrats thought hacking their server and releasing embarrassing information about their candidate was such a good idea. Even Nixon's crew was smart enough to not hack the RNC.

The conspiracy theorists also think the tie is that the head guy at Crowdstrike is Ukranian. Turns out he is Russian.

Reactions: Rockfish1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT