ADVERTISEMENT

Replica artwork

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Not everyone gets to travel to Italy in their lives. A church here in Fort Wayne was selected to receive one of a limited number of "exact replicas" of Michelangelo's famous Pieta, depicting Mary holding the body of Jesus after the crucifixion. At first glance, I think this is a great opportunity for people who can't go to the Vatican to see one of history's greatest works of art, sort of. But on the other hand, I read that it's made from a block of marble, just like the original, and I really wonder how it can be an "exact replica." How does that work, exactly? If it's just a replica, carved by some really good sculptor, intended to match the original, it might be a fine work of art, but an "exact" replica? Or maybe it was produced mechanically, from, say, a 3-D laser scan of the original. I don't know. But I wonder if it's really quite the same thing as seeing the original.

Not everyone gets to travel to Italy in their lives. A church here in Fort Wayne was selected to receive one of a limited number of "exact replicas" of Michelangelo's famous Pieta, depicting Mary holding the body of Jesus after the crucifixion. At first glance, I think this is a great opportunity for people who can't go to the Vatican to see one of history's greatest works of art, sort of. But on the other hand, I read that it's made from a block of marble, just like the original, and I really wonder how it can be an "exact replica." How does that work, exactly? If it's just a replica, carved by some really good sculptor, intended to match the original, it might be a fine work of art, but an "exact" replica? Or maybe it was produced mechanically, from, say, a 3-D laser scan of the original. I don't know. But I wonder if it's really quite the same thing as seeing the original.
so wild. there's a real good documentary on netflix about some chinese guy that was cranking out replicas of art and a noted broker here in the states was passing them off as authentic. i'm not sure replica is the right word. i don't know. maybe it is. on my facebook page there was an ad going around about a banksy display here at one of the galleries. people were posting under it: "Scam." "not real." anyway i don't know anything about art but find all that interesting

Reminds me of the Traveling Wall that was a smaller version of the Vietnam Wall in DC.

At first, I thought it was a little hokey, but after visiting one and seeing how it was treated with reverance and real emotion, I changed my mind.

If you have never see the Pieta in person, seeing a replica would be pretty impressive, I think.

so wild. there's a real good documentary on netflix about some chinese guy that was cranking out replicas of art and a noted broker here in the states was passing them off as authentic. i'm not sure replica is the right word. i don't know. maybe it is. on my facebook page there was an ad going around about a banksy display here at one of the galleries. people were posting under it: "Scam." "not real." anyway i don't know anything about art but find all that interesting
The monetary value is in the original so the art scam you’re talking about really sucks because it’s pure fraud.

The visual value of art, on the other hand, should really be maximized with current technology.

I hadn’t really considered it, but you could scan and 3D print just about any sculpture to scale and have them all over the world for people to see and appreciate who’d never otherwise get to see it. I wonder what Renaissance copyright laws say?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Side bar: I highly recommend a documentary (Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery) about an artist who was creating forgeries for decades and was finally busted. In the period before he goes to jail, the documentarian interviews him and he discusses his techniques for forgery and his life generally. Really interesting.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

not sure i grasp your question.

no, it's not the same, because it's not the same.

because you can't say you saw the original, even if the replica was literally identical.

but other than that, it's the same.

that said, i saw a good movie decades ago about an art forger. (for some reason the movie no longer gets played on tv).

in the movie the forger makes a comment that people don't pay for "art", they pay for autographs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT