ADVERTISEMENT

Remdesivir showing early promise in Chicago study

This is exactly what I've been wondering. I'm not hearing any estimates of impact on actual death rates.

Gupta was discussing it, I do not recall the numbers but they were slight and his reference was "not statistically significant".

IIUC, this is provided intravenously over a 5 or 10 day period. Can't imagine how you'd do that on an outpatient basis at scale.

Right now if you test Covid positive you're told to quarantine and it's hoped you don't crash. Perhaps those who test positive could be given this regimen as a matter of course, no matter how symptomatic you are. But then we're back to the supply and capacity concerns...

A closely related oral drug is also in testing: link. This could allow earlier treatment, which could improve effectiveness.

IIUC, this is provided intravenously over a 5 or 10 day period. Can't imagine how you'd do that on an outpatient basis at scale.

Right now if you test Covid positive you're told to quarantine and it's hoped you don't crash. Perhaps those who test positive could be given this regimen as a matter of course, no matter how symptomatic you are. But then we're back to the supply and capacity concerns...

That's not necessary. You want people, that can, to build immunity naturally and overcome the disease without the need for medicine, keeping the supply available for those with underlying conditions.

Intravenously - doesn't that include injections and not just IV drips? Drip treatments make it more difficult, but there are some that have a shorter duration.

Death rate was 8% on the drug, 11% on placebo. The size if the sample wasn't large enough to establish that the difference between 8% and 11% has statistical significance.

That's not necessary. You want people, that can, to build immunity naturally and overcome the disease without the need for medicine, keeping the supply available for those with underlying conditions.

Intravenously - doesn't that include injections and not just IV drips? Drip treatments make it more difficult, but there are some that have a shorter duration.
Intravenous would include injections but usually means infusion. What you think of as an injection like the flu shot is “intramuscular” not intravenous.

This drug is administered via IV drip (2 hours) .. and for repeated days. It doesn't seem plausible outside of an inpatient hospital setting.

This drug is administered via IV drip (2 hours) .. and for repeated days. It doesn't seem plausible outside of an inpatient hospital setting.

That's actually not that long of a time period. Patients get infusions at specialty pharmacies, centers, etc. where they can get treatment. What I don't know are the side affects as it relates to being able to commute to/from.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
That's actually not that long of a time period. Patients get infusions at specialty pharmacies, centers, etc. where they can get treatment. What I don't know are the side affects as it relates to being able to commute to/from.

True..... but you going to setup rapid COVID treatment centers all over? Who is going to want to be near those?

And it looks like we won't have to share the supply with the UK for awhile (link).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT