ADVERTISEMENT

Reibe Announcement 10/16

I think he will. He did well at BYU and he'll be able to attract a little higher caliber player to UK with their resources and reputation. He's not slick and stylish - he's just a good coach. I think they'll do very well - they'll just take a different route to their success then they have in the past.
Totally agree. Cal was about Cal

wish I could believe you. He picked up another CB for UConn and no one is pointing at IU. I think this ship has sailed.
No reason to believe me, I have no idea about either. And I have not spent time to understand what goes into the magic of "crystal balls". Perhaps an antibiotic would help?

Makes sense that it's Reibe. Lots of people saying Mullins is going to UCONN, but assume it's because of this tweet. I don't pay for Trilly's discord though, so I'm not sure about anything he tweets.

Reactions: CG Paul
Never really thought we were a major player for Reibe. Maybe we were? Just didn't feel like we were, to me.

This one isn't a huge loss. Mullins is a bigger deal, for a number of reasons.

We'll get a portal big that will be better than Reibe, in pretty much every way, I'm sure. If he surprises, and picks IU, I still hope we get a portal big, that would make a bigger impact next year than he would.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I'm really having a hard time understanding exactly what our very highly-paid assistants really do. They were hyped as crack recruiters. That's clearly not true and obvious to all at this point. They certainly aren't gameday strategists or technicians. Are they good in drills at practice? Our fundamentals and smart play have been lacking too, so I'm starting to wonder if they all are simply in charge of cigars and wine?

Reactions: birdforbogey
I'm really having a hard time understanding exactly what our very highly-paid assistants really do. They were hyped as crack recruiters. That's clearly not true and obvious to all at this point. They certainly aren't gameday strategists or technicians. Are they good in drills at practice? Our fundamentals and smart play have been lacking too, so I'm starting to wonder if they all are simply in charge of cigars and wine?
Valid questions.

My belief has been that the Head Coach is often times the "closer" in most recruitments. Assistant coaches are the ones that drum up all the potential prospects, get them interested, keep the relationships strong, keep them on the hook...all that. But its the head coach that actually lands them and pulls them in the boat.

If that's in any way true, a lot of these recruitments ending how they are...could be just as much, if not more, of an indictment on Woody not closing them out...no?

As for the other stuff...if any of them are good coaches of the game, our teams very inconsistent play since Woody arrived indicates they're not focusing on that all that much at IU.

Never really thought we were a major player for Reibe. Maybe we were? Just didn't feel like we were, to me.

This one isn't a huge loss. Mullins is a bigger deal, for a number of reasons.

We'll get a portal big that will be better than Reibe, in pretty much every way, I'm sure. If he surprises, and picks IU, I still hope we get a portal big, that would make a bigger impact next year than he would.
The comp the Sleeper guy used (Greg) was Donovan Clingan coming out of high school with a jumper. That's pretty high praise. I don't recall where Clingan was rated, but I think a 4 or 5 star.

Mullins is a bigger deal just because of the intangibles of being an IN kid that we were in on very early (well before any of the other finalists), but if Reibe has that sort of potential, that's hard to ignore especially with losing Ballo. I'm not even sure Mullins would start for us if Carlyle returns.

I'm not a recruitnik and don't watch video, so my only opinion on Mullins is based off what I read, the little bit of highlights I've seen and, admittedly probably unfairly, that one AAU showcase game in Rock Hill, but he was really thrown off his game by physical play of the team that Darryn Peterson was on (did he announce yet: I know he picked a date?). Maybe it was because it was a showcase game and IN Elite wasn't trying as hard, but they were very physical with him and it definitely affected his game. Guessing he was like 2-9/10 from 3 and under 50% overall. Probably scored 10-12. Great looking shot, good elevation and gets it off quickly, but he didn't look like a guy ready to step in and star on a really good power 5 team that day to me. With time, he may be great, but I'll be surprised if it's next year at UConn, IU or UNC. I think Hurley talking about a 10 month plan was just strategy/smoke-talk to get him there and then help develop him over a 2-3 year period. If the other kid they got recently is a 2, I would be surprised if he'd start at UConn next year. I'm really hoping all the mentions of distance means he does value staying closer to home, but it feels to me like he's a UConn lean... maybe on the order of 3:1.

Averaged 10 minutes a game across 37 games. That is 25% of the game if you aren’t a big math guy. Plus he averaged 25+ minutes the year before, so yeah I would say that he was a contributor for the program. Did he lose minutes? Yes. But losing a shooter that played 25% in the season he contributed least is not inconsequential given his experience through some of the better years in Purdue history. So yes they lost 2 contributors.
No one, and I repeat no one has ever called Morton a shooter--last year he was 23% overall and 21% from 3. They will miss his D, but he was in no way shape of form a shooter. The only "shooter" he was better than from 3 on the IU roster last year was Anthony Walker. He was 5% worse than Gallo

No one, and I repeat no one has ever called Morton a shooter--last year he was 23% overall and 21% from 3. They will miss his D, but he was in no way shape of form a shooter. The only "shooter" he was better than from 3 on the IU roster last year was Anthony Walker. He was 5% worse than Gallo
I wasn't following that either. I finally assumed he was talking about Gillis, and just kind of cross talked between the 2. Gillis I thought was a pretty decent 3 pt (set) shooter. Morton, I always hoped would shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT