ADVERTISEMENT

Reibe Announcement 10/16

It certainly feels that way. This past year set us back on the recruiting trail considerably. We're almost all the way back to square one. It's quite possible we could lose Reibe and Mullins to UCONN and we had them on campus together. Losing Mullins will sting. We may be sitting in the spring waiting for another Woody miracle with a one man class. I honestly thought Sisley was the least likely to commit.

I wonder if we're trying to contact Mouhadid Sylla?

• Sad
Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
It certainly feels that way. This past year set us back on the recruiting trail considerably. We're almost all the way back to square one. It's quite possible we could lose Reibe and Mullins to UCONN and we had them on campus together. Losing Mullins will sting. We may be sitting in the spring waiting for another Woody miracle with a one man class. I honestly thought Sisley was the least likely to commit.

I wonder if we're trying to contact Mouhadid Sylla?
What information leads you to declare it feels that way?

What’s particularly disconcerting here is that this kid is a center. This staff had a great story to tell him about the success we’ve had with bigs and they still couldn’t get it done…

• Haha
Reactions: HumbleHoosier
BTB kids think it's Uconn. we're getting our clocks cleaned by Hurley in recruiting right now. CMW betting the ranch this year on a very good store-bought season and portal success, maybe a last second spring steal ala Tucker. But a lot of swing-n-missing going on in the world of old-fashioned high school recruiting (as 'old fashioned' as million dollar NIL deals can be).

Reactions: birdforbogey
I hope we don’t get him. I’ll bet anyone here if Woody is the coach next year he will get a better player in the portal. Go after these dudes after their sophomore year. He won’t play till then anyways.

Developing players under woody with today’s rules won’t happen, and we will be better because of it. As long as woody is here we want old mercenaries. That will give us the best shot at success. I’m about to get bullish on this season!!

BTB kids think it's Uconn. we're getting our clocks cleaned by Hurley in recruiting right now. CMW betting the ranch this year on a very good store-bought season and portal success, maybe a last second spring steal ala Tucker. But a lot of swing-n-missing going on in the world of old-fashioned high school recruiting (as 'old fashioned' as million dollar NIL deals can be).
Hurley has a lot to sell as 2 time defending champion, and with putting guys in the league. No doubt he's going to get good players and classes as long as he's there and has the fire. I'm more interested in what Pope is doing at UK. He looks to be putting together a very good class that could be among the best in the country, as a pick that was pretty widely panned, especially by BBN it seemed.

Hurley has a lot to sell as 2 time defending champion, and with putting guys in the league. No doubt he's going to get good players and classes as long as he's there and has the fire. I'm more interested in what Pope is doing at UK. He looks to be putting together a very good class that could be among the best in the country, as a pick that was pretty widely panned, especially by BBN it seemed.
BBN loved the hire, 10k showed up to greet him, he's going to do a great job down there

UK fans didn’t initially love the hire. They were disappointed with the swings and misses at their top targets, and they were baffled by the Pope hire. He was out of nowhere given his limited track record (zero tourney wins).

But they accepted it and they’re obviously a very engaged fanbase that is going to get behind anyone off the bat.

UK has pretty good NIL and Pope is doing a nice job so far. We’ll see, he may work out well for them.

Reactions: kkott and asindc
I hope we don’t get him. I’ll bet anyone here if Woody is the coach next year he will get a better player in the portal. Go after these dudes after their sophomore year. He won’t play till then anyways.

Developing players under woody with today’s rules won’t happen, and we will be better because of it. As long as woody is here we want old mercenaries. That will give us the best shot at success. I’m about to get bullish on this season!!
This is weak class for centers anyway. We got in late on him too. I told the UK board whomever got Moreno the other would go portal. Looking like that’s what will happen.

Reactions: Cavanagh
The frequent misses on key recruits is an issue that must be addressed. I'm talking about the kids they have been on for years. To date the NIL has bailed them out and adding a five star very late in BT has masked the issue. Still, the past few recruiting classes have for the most part been a giant swing and a miss. Better hope they can hold onto their one commit this time around.

The frequent misses on key recruits is an issue that must be addressed. I'm talking about the kids they have been on for years. To date the NIL has bailed them out and adding a five star very late in BT has masked the issue. Still, the past few recruiting classes have for the most part been a giant swing and a miss. Better hope they can hold onto their one commit this time around.
winning, and winning in convincing fashion this season, will cure that issue. we do need balanced recruiting of incoming freshmen and carefully selected portals

Plus that $$$$ would go to someone proven in the chance he would become a small bust. I agree 100%.

Its a very strange dynamic, in my opinion. Because he's had quite a lot of success keeping key players in his program...which lends itself to him being pretty good managing relationships, expectations, communicating, etc...

But obviously, there's something that is making it difficult for him to close longer lasting recruitments.

My best guesses for possible reasons are that Woodson might struggle keeping the recruiting process going for long periods of time, answering and re answering questions, kissing butts for that long, etc... And then I think the style of play he's chosen to implement AND the B10 conference's overalls style...those two things might be hurdles for him to eventually close guys like Haralson, Mullins, Fland, Moreno, etc...

Reactions: hookyIU1990
UK fans didn’t initially love the hire. They were disappointed with the swings and misses at their top targets, and they were baffled by the Pope hire. He was out of nowhere given his limited track record (zero tourney wins).

But they accepted it and they’re obviously a very engaged fanbase that is going to get behind anyone off the bat.

UK has pretty good NIL and Pope is doing a nice job so far. We’ll see, he may work out well for them.
exactly as I remember it.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but when you do it every season it is hard to say that it doesn’t work from a recruiting perspective. I hate it and it certainly doesn’t make me comfortable as a fan, but I also can’t write it off as simply a fluke. Now, he has got to do more with the talent he gets in the building or even those late opportunities are going to go by the wayside.

Its a very strange dynamic, in my opinion. Because he's had quite a lot of success keeping key players in his program...which lends itself to him being pretty good managing relationships, expectations, communicating, etc...
Yeah I find it kinda strange, you keeping harping on how Purdues recruiting is going to implode, even though they have full rosters for the next two years!, yet IUs recruiting looks like its imploding right now with high school recruits, with an elderly coach and the possibility that you may have to go out and buy nexts years team too! Seems like IU is much closer to falling off the cliff than Purdue. Do you realize that the last time IU was competitive is when TJD was a senior, that was your star, a 4 year veteran! I got the feeling IU will have trouble keeping players playing for 4 years in their buy $$$$ talent. Maybe Purdue is good because they keep their players!

Yeah I find it kinda strange, you keeping harping on how Purdues recruiting is going to implode, even though they have full rosters for the next two years!, yet IUs recruiting looks like its imploding right now with high school recruits, with an elderly coach and the possibility that you may have to go out and buy nexts years team too! Seems like IU is much closer to falling off the cliff than Purdue. Do you realize that the last time IU was competitive is when TJD was a senior, that was your star, a 4 year veteran! I got the feeling IU will have trouble keeping players playing for 4 years in their buy $$$$ talent. Maybe Purdue is good because they keep their players!
You say that we have had trouble retaining our players. Which player that received significant minutes has transferred out under Woody? You all had two players transfer out this year that were significant contributors. While we would certainly like to see Woody nab a couple of bigger named talents, we still have better recruiting than you and one of Woody’s strengths is retaining players. All the arguments you could make against Woody, yours was pretty stupid. Enjoy that number next to your name because I get the feeling it won’t be there for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Wow, Purdue has a full roster. Whoopee. The problem is your roster talent is declining. It clearly bothers you since you come over this board.

You are a very special piece of art, very colorful. You should be very thankful that you can enjoy all of your Boilies rings and great success.

I'm looking forward to this season as an IU FAN.

Do you realize that the last time IU was competitive is when TJD was a senior
You do realize TJD was a rookie last year, right? So we've only had one season without him... You do also realize we have 9 players on the 19-man roster that are seniors, including Galloway and Leal. I think your logic is quite flawed.

Edey was a generational type of talent and his lack of NBA projected ability after his junior season coupled with his inability to capitalize on NIL deals in the US, is what kept him at Purdue vs the NBA or going to a more profitable NIL deal. If either of those went the other way, your outdated house of cards logic would likely have come crumbling down.

Painter is a good coach so the teams should always be reasonably competitive if he can retain the players but without the highly unique security blanket that Edey provided the program, NIL will create the same turmoil at PU. Either Painter adapts or his teams will consistently fall short because players will transfer. Painter and PU are not going to be immune to it. Watch!

I think he will. He did well at BYU and he'll be able to attract a little higher caliber player to UK with their resources and reputation. He's not slick and stylish - he's just a good coach. I think they'll do very well - they'll just take a different route to their success then they have in the past.

I think he will. He did well at BYU and he'll be able to attract a little higher caliber player to UK with their resources and reputation. He's not slick and stylish - he's just a good coach. I think they'll do very well - they'll just take a different route to their success then they have in the past.
The more I read about the guy, the less I chuckle and the more I worry that he may be successful.

Reactions: Seyton

I loved Hurley at first, his approach in terms of fundamentals and mindset, his fire and his unwillingness to bend on any detail. I love that and I think it's how any sport should be coached.

However, I've seen footage of him just going bonkers on things that don't deserve it. He's going bonkers on super little things that are just a matter of him not being able to control his impatience. That, I think, is going to be very interesting because that's quality-of-life type stuff - not being better at competing and basketball. And if one of these upcoming editions of UCONN fizzle out that act will grow tired instantaneously. I mean, we saw that ourselves with Coach Knight. He went from being crazy demanding to just being crazy. I see Hurley on that path as well - where fear could easily replace demand.

Just my opinion.

I loved Hurley at first, his approach in terms of fundamentals and mindset, his fire and his unwillingness to bend on any detail. I love that and I think it's how any sport should be coached.

However, I've seen footage of him just going bonkers on things that don't deserve it. He's going bonkers on super little things that are just a matter of him not being able to control his impatience. That, I think, is going to be very interesting because that's quality-of-life type stuff - not being better at competing and basketball. And if one of these upcoming editions of UCONN fizzle out that act will grow tired instantaneously. I mean, we saw that ourselves with Coach Knight. He went from being crazy demanding to just being crazy. I see Hurley on that path as well - where fear could easily replace demand.

Just my opinion.
Hurley success can be traced backed to Murray. It’s his offense and he calls the plays. Hurley was about to get fired.

Hurley's current trend towards psycho won't help him, though. Murray can only do so much. Excellent point, though. You're right.
According Bloom, the dumb psycho stuff like arguing with opposing fans during the game isn't any sort of an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT