ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: IU's top targets for July

The way I look at Archie inherited a situation similar to what Sampson did and he landed a burger boy in each of his first 2 classes so I wouldn't expect it to take Archie long to get off and running. I won't panic if we don't land a 5 star for 2018 though.

I don't expect Miller to get any world beater recruits until maybe the '20 or '21 class. He just hasn't had much time and no one has seen his IU product on the court. Hell, I'd bet most top recruits and their families haven't seen an Archie team at all. I seriously doubt All Americans are sitting around watching Dayton games.

Historically IU coaches have had a top 10-15 and top 5-10 class within 4 years of becoming coach. I don't know the ranking of RMKs first four classes, but it did result in an NCAA championship and at least 6+ players drafted by the NBA so it most likely fits the criteria.

Mike Davis
2002 ranked 13th
2004 ranked 5th

Kelvin Sampson
2007 ranked 18th
2008 ranked around 10th(+/-) in summer.

Tom Crean
2009 13th
2012 7th

It seems IU eventually recruits itself regardless who the coach is, and the trick to success is just maintaining it ..Getting two decent classes seems to be the norm, that third one hasn't.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT