ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: IU's top targets for July

snowling

Hall of Famer
by Mike Miller

There is plenty of room on Indiana’s 2018-19 basketball roster.

IU coach Archie Miller will look to fill those spots in the coming weeks.

The July evaluation period begins Wednesday at 5 p.m., giving the Hoosiers their latest opportunity to hone in on targets for their 2018 recruiting class. With six scholarships available in the class — and zero current commitments — Indiana could be on the verge of beginning its haul.

Here’s a look at some of Indiana’s top current targets for 2018, with additional names sure to filter out once IU coaches get a closer look at prospects during upcoming evaluation windows:

ROMEO LANGFORD
Shooting guard, 6-foot-5, New Albany
Travel team:
Twenty Two Vision
Rankings: 247 Sports (overall ranking): five star (No. 4), Rivals: five star (No. 3), Scout: five star (No. 5).
Notable offers: Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina.
Outlook: One of the most coveted prospects in the class, Langford will be picking from the top college programs nationwide. The New Albany shooting guard was long a target of IU’s previous coaching staff. Can new coach Archie Miller and company make up for lost time?

DARIUS GARLAND
Point guard, 6-foot-1, Brentwood, Tenn.
Travel team:
Bradley Beal Elite
Rankings: 247 Sports: five star (No. 7), Rivals: five star (No. 8), Scout: five star (No. 8).
Notable offers: Indiana, Duke, Louisville, Ohio State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Outlook: Point guard is a priority position for Miller in the upcoming class and Garland is arguably the best on the board. Garland, a native of Gary, had a strong spring on the Nike EYBL circuit, averaging 16.8 points and 4.8 assists.

RACE THOMPSON
Power forward, 6-foot-8, Minneapolis, Minn.
Travel team:
D1 Minnesota
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 79), Rivals: three star (No. 116), Scout: four star (No. 71).
Notable offers: Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa State, Marquette, Michigan.
Outlook: Midway through the summer, IU appears to be in good shape with Thompson, whose father, Darrell, played running back at Minnesota. IU associate head coach Tom Ostrom is a Minnesota native with ties to the state’s basketball scene. Thompson visited Indiana’s campus last month.

ROBERT PHINISEE
Point guard, 5-foot-11, Lafayette
Travel team:
Indiana Elite
Rankings: 247 Sports: three star (No. 147), Rivals: three star (No. 120), Scout: four star (No. 73).
Notable offers: Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Virginia.
Outlook: The McCutcheon star is a quick and efficient point guard who has attracted the attention of the state’s two Big Ten programs. Looking for a point man for 2018, Indiana’s coaches have made it clear that Phinisee is a priority target this summer. Phinisee has been told that IU coaches will attempt to watch each of his games this month.

JEROME HUNTER
Forward/wing, 6-foot-7, Pickerington, Ohio
Travel team:
Ohio Nova
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 80), Rivals: four star (No. 47), Scout: four star (No. 61).
Notable offers: Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Xavier.
Outlook: Archie Miller has been recruiting Hunter since his days at Dayton. The consensus four-star forward picked up an IU offer from Miller at the Hoosiers’ team camp last month. Hunter is an intriguing, versatile prospect, who can play the three and the four positions.

DAMEZI ANDERSON
Wing, 6-foot-6, South Bend
Travel team:
Meanstreets
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 99), Rivals: four star (No. 101), Scout:
Notable offers: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Connecticut.
Outlook: A longtime Purdue target, Anderson has generated recent interest from Miller and his staff. IU offered Anderson, an explosive, offensive-minded wing, late last month.

LUGUENTZ DORT
Shooting guard, 6-foot-4, Orlando, Fla.
Travel team:
Brookwood Elite
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 21), Rivals: four star (No. 38), Scout: four star (No. 28).
Notable offers: Indiana, Louisville, Oregon, Florida, Miami, Michigan State.
Outlook: The Canada native appears to be a strong, physically developed combo guard who can shoot and attack. IU extended an offer to Dort in early May, and Michigan State followed with an offer only a few days later. 247 Sports considers Dort the No. 3 shooting guard in the class.

LOUIS KING
Forward/wing, 6-foot-8, Burlington, N.J.
Travel team:
Team Final
Rankings: 247 Sports: five star (No. 15), Rivals: five star (No. 16), Scout: five star (No. 12).
Notable offers: Indiana, Maryland, Seton Hall, Syracuse, Louisville.
Outlook: King has grown four inches during the past two years, making him a long and imposing athlete on the wing. He’s reportedly looking for a Kentucky offer — and he just might get it. If and when he does, the Wildcats could leap to the top of his recruitment.

JALEN CAREY
Guard, 6-foot-3, New York City
Travel team:
NJ Playaz
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 58), Rivals: four star (No. 50), Scout: four star (No. 70).
Notable offers: Indiana, Kansas, Syracuse, Florida, Connecticut, Seton Hall, Notre Dame.
Outlook: A high-energy, attacking guard, Carey had a fantastic spring on the Nike EYBL circuit, scoring 18.1 points per game and shooting 44 percent from 3-point range. Indiana was one of the many schools to offer Carey during the spring, and the Hoosiers landed in his top 10 in May.

ERIC AYALA
Guard, 6-foot-4, Putnam, Conn.
Travel team:
WE-R1
Rankings: 247 Sports: four star (No. 69), Rivals: four star (No. 67), Scout: four star (No. 81).
Notable offers: Indiana, Maryland, Syracuse, Connecticut, Ohio State, Arizona.
Outlook: Syracuse seems to be the current favorite in Ayala’s recruitment, with Ohio State and new coach Chris Holtmann recently jumping in, too. Ayala is also reportedly considering a reclassification to 2017. If he goes through with that, a commitment could come soon.

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/07/recruiting-ius-top-targets-for-july/

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I don't see any evidence of any one in this group (except Phinisee) giving IU any serious consideration.
Does anyone have any better information than I do?

Reactions: justjames
Isn't Anderson pretty high on Purdue?

I can't find much on Thompson since we offered him.
They both have strong interest in IU. Those would be very safe guesses for commits. Thompson is a three-star ranked around 120th on here, and he is a four-star ranked around 80th on 247 and Scout.

Reactions: snowling
They both have strong interest in IU. Those would be very safe guesses for commits. Thompson is a three-star ranked around 120th on here, and he is a four-star ranked around 80th on 247 and Scout.
Thanks. I appreciate your sociable response.
I just hadn't read anything showing an interest in IU.

Agreed I am getting a little worried.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see how any top prospects (top 50 guys) would say yes without seeing the product on the floor first.

Hopefully Archie/Staff/Fans remain patient during this first year of recruiting. I don't want us reaching for a guy just because we are anxious.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Hope I'm wrong but I don't see how any top prospects (top 50 guys) would say yes without seeing the product on the floor first.

Hopefully Archie/Staff/Fans remain patient during this first year of recruiting. I don't want us reaching for a guy just because we are anxious.
Also a lot of the top prospects wait until spring to sign so that could be helpful.

It's been three months.

I don't expect Miller to get any world beater recruits until maybe the '20 or '21 class. He just hasn't had much time and no one has seen his IU product on the court. Hell, I'd bet most top recruits and their families haven't seen an Archie team at all. I seriously doubt All Americans are sitting around watching Dayton games.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I don't expect Miller to get any world beater recruits until maybe the '20 or '21 class. He just hasn't had much time and no one has seen his IU product on the court. Hell, I'd bet most top recruits and their families haven't seen an Archie team at all. I seriously doubt All Americans are sitting around watching Dayton games.
He will have some in 19 class. 18 class will be a gap filler with a few difference makers in the class. I still say we land a surprise kid like Garland

We have to be patient and remember that CAM is dealing with the aftermath of Crean's recruiting. He turned off or ignored some of the recruits we should have been in on. Gonna take some time.

It's been three months.

No kidding.

I'd rather Archie take his time and get the right guys instead of just grabbing anyone so the chicken littles don't wet their panties with, "OMG!!! He hasn't gotten anyone yet!!!"

I guess they want some 2 stars like Crean used to get......

Reactions: birdforpar

I seriously doubt it takes that long.

I bet we get at least one 5 star in the '19 class and it wouldn't surprise me if we get at least one in the '18 class.

This is not a rebuild after we got hit with a death penalty. There is no reason it should take that long. His brother was getting 5 star recruits within two years and we are paying him big bucks. I am sorry but I expect results sooner than 20 or 21.

i certainly remember Thompson's dad playing fball at Minn.

must be something about guys named Thompson with a UM lineage.

I don't understand this line of thinking. The new coach at NC St just landed a top 100 PG.... NC St, and their coach came from that bball mecca UNC Wilmington!. Why are Hoosier fans so afraid of high expectations? Does his top 10 salary not kick in until 20/21? Oh, he's being paid that now? Then I guess those expectations come with the position. We might have weaker overall classes for a couple years, but we've got to get some top talent in this and/or next year's classes, or that's indicative of a problem. Did it take 3 years for Calipari to land top talent at UK? At Memphis? In this day and age, great coaches have to be great from the get-go. They can't take years to develop like Dean Smith or Wooden had. Just a different recruiting world now.

Reactions: cryano
I don't understand this line of thinking. The new coach at NC St just landed a top 100 PG.... NC St, and their coach came from that bball mecca UNC Wilmington!. Why are Hoosier fans so afraid of high expectations? Does his top 10 salary not kick in until 20/21? Oh, he's being paid that now? Then I guess those expectations come with the position. We might have weaker overall classes for a couple years, but we've got to get some top talent in this and/or next year's classes, or that's indicative of a problem. Did it take 3 years for Calipari to land top talent at UK? At Memphis? In this day and age, great coaches have to be great from the get-go. They can't take years to develop like Dean Smith or Wooden had. Just a different recruiting world now.

Are you referencing Beverly (former Ohio St verbal) for NC State? If yes...he's headed to State because his coach at Hargrave was hired as Asst for NC State.

Who said we don't have high expectations? I mean, we called for Crean's head after he won the Big Ten twice.

What we're not doing is soiling our pants because he hasn't gotten a 5 star yet.

They wear that title like a badge of honor.
If they talked to people out on the street the way they do here, they would get their ticket punched. (& maybe they do...LOL)
Relax I was just saying if you had a membership you would have heardnof other names. Wasn't being a dick at all

Sounds like Garland may want to commit with a bunch of 5-stars to form a super team at a school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT