ADVERTISEMENT

Reading about how UConn recruits transfers that fit their system…

It’s pretty obvious that Woody does not have a plan.
Money is going to buy him a team of his own making. We will see how GM / Coach Woody perform having been granted most likely one of the top 5 NIL budgets in CBB. Thus far, it really has not gone that well given all the resources he has had at his disposal, not withstanding TJD kind of falling into his lap. We will probably have back to back lottery picks and has yet to coach his way out of the 1st round of the NCAA.

Reactions: kmathum
Ever since Woody arrived at Indiana I have mistakenly been under the impression that the Hoosiers would bring their big men out to the top of the key and open the lane for the guards to penetrate. Another part of my erred judgement was the Hoosiers recruiting more athletic and quicker guards.

So here we go with another year and a half-court offense. Unless I am missing something…

It’s pretty obvious that Woody does not have a plan.
You think? This will be his 4th straight year with having one of the more talented front courts in the conference. And I'm sure he's going to play both of them together as much as possible.

With Kopp and then Mgbako, he also obviously values a wing that's good in catch and shoot situations, but not great off the dribble.

He's also been very loyal to, and stuck with X and Trey.

He has a system. It just hasn't been a consistently good one yet. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like with Rice and Carlyle, the best backcourt he'll have had...and hopefully the best "fit" with his preferred 2 big system.

We will probably have back to back lottery picks and has yet to coach his way out of the 1st round of the NCAA.
I'm not celebrating Woodson's post season success because there hasn't been much... but this is not accurate.

Woodson is yet to coach a lottery pick and he has made it out of the first round.

I'm not celebrating Woodson's post season success because there hasn't been much... but this is not accurate.

Woodson is yet to coach a lottery pick and he has made it out of the first round.
This year is make or break....imo. His high risk recruiting strategy (1 year planning) isn't sustainable over time. He needs to hit big results (high reward) to command a future after next season.

Maybe or maybe not. But it took 4 years for Hurley to enact his plan. He was 16-17, 19-12, 15-8, and 23-10 in his first 4 years and lost in the round of 64 in those final 2 years. A plan takes time. We'll see if Woody has one and if it will work.
true and valid point/example. The problem is....Woody is 15 yrs older than Hurley. And coaching a program whose legacy is dying much faster than UConn's ever was...so Woody needs to produce results. With the NIL money being spent, it's becoming obvious that 24-25 season is make-or-break for CMW.

This year is make or break....imo. His high risk recruiting strategy (1 year planning) isn't sustainable over time. He needs to hit big results (high reward) to command a future after next season.
Totally agree... Woodson has to have results this season or it's over. The roster is coming together. Like many others, I would like to see more shooting added.

If he gets Carlyle with Rice, don't they both have multiple years-so that's a plus. Need a great shooter from deep. Essigian /Brea/Conwell . Ballo plus maybe Payne if he is willing to back up. Tucker will be 2 year player. Mgbako/Ballo/Reneau/Galloway/Leal will all be gone after this next season. Cupps/Newton/Tucker and depending on whomever else they sign and their years remaining. I like Brea , Conwell,Essegian and Payne as roster fillers. Depending on coaching, that class might be in top order of BIG.

Maybe or maybe not. But it took 4 years for Hurley to enact his plan. He was 16-17, 19-12, 15-8, and 23-10 in his first 4 years and lost in the round of 64 in those final 2 years. A plan takes time. We'll see if Woody has one and if it will work.
Also, UConn got screwed when the Big East initially split up and they stuck in the American Athletic Conference to about 7 years - until July 2020. So when Hurley began at UConn he had little chance of significant success.

So you're telling us that by reading that article about another team while sitting on your fat ass in front of a computer or phone, you know exactly what the IU staff plan is ...

Are you a facial expression expert too?
He could be...

Then again...he might be face blind.

(Arrested Development was such a great show.)

Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88
If he gets Carlyle with Rice, don't they both have multiple years-so that's a plus. Need a great shooter from deep. Essigian /Brea/Conwell . Ballo plus maybe Payne if he is willing to back up. Tucker will be 2 year player. Mgbako/Ballo/Reneau/Galloway/Leal will all be gone after this next season. Cupps/Newton/Tucker and depending on whomever else they sign and their years remaining. I like Brea , Conwell,Essegian and Payne as roster fillers. Depending on coaching, that class might be in top order of BIG.
Assume Brea and Conwell looking for spots they can play the 30+ minutes a game they are used to. Everyone talks about Conwell, but until he at least schedules a visit, not going to think he is even a possibility--considering he is about 45 minutes down the road in TH, it would be really easy to slide over for a day!!

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT