ADVERTISEMENT

Re Allegations against Dr Bomba….

Wow! A Dr here in Ft Wayne recently wrote a letter to the editor in the Journal Gazette in support of Dr Bomba. Basically he said that digital rectal exams were commonplace for years in through physical exams.
Likewise, during my grade school years a kid couldn’t go to summer camp without a MD signed validation of having passed a physical exam that always included a hernia check, a two-fingered digital exam into the upper scrotal sac. “Now cough for me, abraxis.” Cough, cough, I did, shamelessly without reservation.

Last edited:
Reactions: HooRed
There are distinct indications for doing a rectal exam and it is NOT done in the absence of signs and symptoms, especially in children and adolescents. It is not a routine screen. Further, the examiner should explain the reasons for the procedure and obtain verbal consent.
Indications
  • Change in bowel habit
  • Prostate evaluation
  • Rectal bleeding
  • Urinary or fecal incontinence
Calling these guys "dead beats" looking for a payday is pathetic.
The "good" doctor was part of the RMK machine and one need remember the players were at the mercy of the physician who has the ability to keep them off the court. We all heard the same invective language with the wrestlers that Gym Jordan didn't protect at OSU before an investigation was done.

I would suggest we all learn the facts from a honest investigation before we pontificate.

Reactions: IUgradman
There are distinct indications for doing a rectal exam and it is NOT done in the absence of signs and symptoms, especially in children and adolescents. It is not a routine screen. Further, the examiner should explain the reasons for the procedure and obtain verbal consent.
Indications
  • Change in bowel habit
  • Prostate evaluation
  • Rectal bleeding
The "good" doctor was part of the RMK machine and one need remember the players were at the mercy of the physician who has the ability to keep them off the court. We all heard the same invective language with the wrestlers that Gym Jordan didn't protect at OSU before an investigation was done.

I would suggest we all learn the facts from a honest investigation before we pontificate.
If these guys were so traumatized why didn’t they come forward years ago? Calling what I said was pathetic, what do you know. Your a nothing more than clickbait!

Reactions: ulrey
If these guys were so traumatized why didn’t they come forward years ago? Calling what I said was pathetic, what do you know. Your a nothing more than clickbait!
Why you ask? You already know the answer. You think it's easy to publicly admit some dude had his way with you. Especially when you're an athlete who has a very public persona.
Sorry, but this isn't about you, your words, nor your total lack of insight as much as you'd like it to be. Let's wait for all the facts.
In the meantime feel free to unleash your ad hominem attacks if that feeds your ego.

Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88
Indications
  • Change in bowel habit
  • Prostate evaluation
  • Rectal bleeding

Oh, I’ve got a more accurate word for what I believe they are but I’ll keep it to myself for now. Let’s see who this third “John Doe” is.

Indications
  • Change in bowel habit
  • Prostate evaluation
  • Rectal bleeding

Are you an MD?

The last few sentences are very damning. As if IU, IU basketball fans, and the reputation and legacy of Bob Knight need any more negativity surrounding the late nineties.

Tim Garl, and I'm sure, Brian Evans, will be part of the defense of the "culture".

Why you ask? You already know the answer. You think it's easy to publicly admit some dude had his way with you. Especially when you're an athlete who has a very public persona.
Sorry, but this isn't about you, your words, nor your total lack of insight as much as you'd like it to be. Let's wait for all the facts.
In the meantime feel free to unleash your ad hominem attacks if that feeds your ego.
Okay Charlie, we wait for you to present the facts.

I'm going to sue my high school. They lined up about 40 - 50 of us prior to football season in our underwear so a doctor could feel my nads while I coughed. I'm pretty sure he lingered a little longer with me than the others. Just kidding, but it wasn't fun for me and I'm sure the doctor didn't get a thrill either.

College seems a little early for a prostate exam. His patients might be able to weigh in on if this was part of his routine exam or maybe there was something in their medical history or that of their parents that warranted a closer look.

I'm going to sue my high school. They lined up about 40 - 50 of us prior to football season in our underwear so a doctor could feel my nads while I coughed. I'm pretty sure he lingered a little longer with me than the others. Just kidding, but it wasn't fun for me and I'm sure the doctor didn't get a thrill either.

College seems a little early for a prostate exam. His patients might be able to weigh in on if this was part of his routine exam or maybe there was something in their medical history or that of their parents that warranted a closer look.
A digital rectal exam isn’t just a health screening for a possible large prostrate gland. The microscope slide smear can also detect red blood cells which may indicate something more serious internally, more serious than an inflamed hemorrhoid exacerbated by a difficult bowel session, ie. the square peg through round hole analogy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT