ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom 25’

IU is 39th, 49th on O and 34th on D. 10th in the B1G with a 10-10 record.

Post in on the bulletin board boys. If you finish 39th in anything, none of you are coming back next year.
So they should fire Woodson 2 weeks before the season starts?

I suspect 49 and 34, respectively, would give us a better record than 10-10 in the B10.

If I were doing the predicting...here are the ranges.

Off Efficiency...Low 35, High 15
Def Efficiency...Low 40, High 20
Conf wins....Low 11, High 16
NCAA wins...Low first round loss, High Final Four loss

So... OffEff of 25, DefEff of 30, Conf wins 14, Sweet 16

Mine is much more scientific than KenPom too.

IU is 39th, 49th on O and 34th on D. 10th in the B1G with a 10-10 record.

Post in on the bulletin board boys. If you finish 39th in anything, none of you are coming back next year.
His preseason stuff was always a crapshoot before. Now with the portal and new teams it facilitates each season, I'm not sure what good it is for anyone except him to put it out.

Can't imagine 10-10 with how this squad looks on paper.

Here is a stat I just got from assembly call email that will make you puke. Kenpom pre and post season rankings:
24’ 50, 91
23’ 12, 30
22’ 30, 48
21’ 26, 50
20’ 34, 34
19’ 27, 52
18’ 65, 71
17’ 16, 44
16’ 13, 11
15’ 26, 48
14’ 25, 63

We have only outperformed our preseason ranking once in that time frame. With an average drop of about 20 spots. So even my optimistic ass has to say damn maybe we are ranked fairly.

Here is a stat I just got from assembly call email that will make you puke. Kenpom pre and post season rankings:
24’ 50, 91
23’ 12, 30
22’ 30, 48
21’ 26, 50
20’ 34, 34
19’ 27, 52
18’ 65, 71
17’ 16, 44
16’ 13, 11
15’ 26, 48
14’ 25, 63

We have only outperformed our preseason ranking once in that time frame. With an average drop of about 20 spots. So even my optimistic ass has to say damn maybe we are ranked fairly.
Well, crap. That's a depressing walk down memory lane.

24’ 50, 91
23’ 12, 30
22’ 30, 48
21’ 26, 50
20’ 34, 34
19’ 27, 52
18’ 65, 71
17’ 16, 44
16’ 13, 11
15’ 26, 48
14’ 25, 63

Given that we are still indifferent on our 3rd coach in that timeframe, did you expect something different? Underperformance has been our MO, but hope springs eternal. We know where we have been, but we also know Woody has his best team to get us where we ought to be. Here’s hoping we shake this trend!

Gonna be a make or break season for Woodson, no doubt.

And it needs to be. He has had plenty of opportunities on the court and plenty of time to build strong recruiting relationships off the court. If this team is average at best......its time. My hope is we come out and watch some exciting basketball and Woody continues to use the portal to make magic happen each season. But if not......

Reactions: Cavanagh
17ish sounds about right. I'm glad expectations are that high.

PU at 14 sounds about right, too.

Gonna be a make or break season for Woodson, no doubt.

And it needs to be. He has had plenty of opportunities on the court and plenty of time to build strong recruiting relationships off the court. If this team is average at best......its time. My hope is we come out and watch some exciting basketball and Woody continues to use the portal to make magic happen each season. But if not......
I doubt it. He'll win just enough to get another year nothing more.

Only preseason, so blah blah blah. But, SEC has 9 teams in preseason too 25. B1G has 3. If that is an accurate depiction of our league, appears it’s historically weak and IU for damn sure should finish in the top 5 of the conference.

Other than PU, the BT has steadily gone downhill. Wisconsin, MSU and Mich aren't what they were. We aren't, obviously. Ohio State hasn't done much in a few years.

PU has had its way.

20+ years since a BT team won it all, so the conference is clearly in decline...or at least struggling to compete in the new NCAA landscape.

Reactions: kkott
17th seems about right. Could be better with this roster, but have to prove it.

The PrisonBall B1G is its usual mediocre self.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Only preseason, so blah blah blah. But, SEC has 9 teams in preseason too 25. B1G has 3. If that is an accurate depiction of our league, appears it’s historically weak and IU for damn sure should finish in the top 5 of the conference.
B1G has 4.

24’ 50, 91
23’ 12, 30
22’ 30, 48
21’ 26, 50
20’ 34, 34
19’ 27, 52
18’ 65, 71
17’ 16, 44
16’ 13, 11
15’ 26, 48
14’ 25, 63

Last year, damn Woody, 41 spots?? You really got to try to screw it up that bad. 4 & 5 stars all up and down the roster. Can't help to have Cignetti comparisons rolling around in my head, you know JMU players. Oh well, reality gets me in trouble on this board so I'll just shut up and wait for the season to start.

Thanks. Overlooked UCLA. @dbmhoosier , I do not see Illinois on the AP list linked tweet. Maybe you are referring to a coaches poll? Regardless, 18 teams and 4 or 5 ranked. That’s pathetic. As others have said. No Michigan. No Sparty. No wiscy. No Ohio St. Barnyard basketball style has taken its toll. The 80’s and 90’s are long gone!
My mistake. I thought you were asking who the 4th best team would end up being. Yes UCLA is ranked. Illinois the first team out I believe.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Illinois is a wild card. Huge class of five HS kids and five xfers in, with six xfers out and TS Jr. to the league. They spent a lot of $ and there is quite a bit of talent coming in. How it comes together will be interesting.

Regardless, it’s nice to start the season in the AP-rankings and not in others receiving votes.

We’ll need to crush non-con opponents this year, or we won’t stay ranked long.

Reactions: TR32 and BigMobe
Regardless, 18 teams and 4 or 5 ranked. That’s pathetic. As others have said. No Michigan. No Sparty. No wiscy. No Ohio St. Barnyard basketball style has taken its toll. The 80’s and 90’s are long gone!
No to mention, the highest ranked team would project as a 4 seed. It’s just a pre-season poll, but shouldn’t the BIG champion be a 1 seed?

IMHO, the league has had a lot of parity, and we have seen improvement in some of the basement dwelling programs, but the top of the league has been weak. It could just seem that way to me as IU hasn’t had a decent winning streak against anyone, and even traditional bottom feeders like NU, PSU, Nebraska seem to be over .500 against us, in the last 2 decades or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT