ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey's Arm

Our rushing offense was 12th in the league at 130.1 ypg.

Our passing offense was 3rd in the league at 265.7 ypg.

Our red zone EFFICIENCY was 6th - we had 44 red zone appearances and scored 38 times (27 TD/11 FG).

BUT that 44 chances was too low - tied for 10th with Michigan. (Top of the league was 68 (OSU), 62 (Wis) and 59 (PSU/NW) - the top 4 offenses and 4 of the top 6 rush offenses.)

And our "yards per pass" and "yards per catch" were too low. Our "yards per pass" was 6.4 (10th in the league). Our "yards per catch" was 10.4 0 next to last. We threw it 502 times - league most. Purdue was at 491, then it dropped to 460.

Was that the fault of the QB's or WR'S?

Yes.

Gotta get open quicker.
Gotta get rid of it.
Gotta throw a catchable ball.
Gotta catch EVERYTHING YOU CAN TOUCH.

And ..... we gotta run it better.

It's like a ballet - every part in motion, any glitch shows.

Our offensive 2-deep looks nice - we return a lot (9 of the 11 guys who started the Purdue game). If experience matters, we should be better.

Ramsey and all 5 starting OL are back. 4 other OL from the 2-deep are back.

Tronti, Penix and even Reese Taylor can only improve the QB spot.

92% of our carries return. We add Walker and redshirt Nelson - both guys who woulda/coulda started for IU in the recent past.

We have 56% of our catches back, but get Westbrook back to replace Cobbs - who had 24% of our catches last year.

We will be in year 2 of a new offensive scheme/offensive staff - they have had last Spring, last Fall, last season, and now this Spring and fall to get it in and ready. Gotta expect improved efficiency.

On offense, I am as optimistic as I ever was during the Wilson days.

BEAT FIU!

I have no idea what you are thinking. National Championship drop the dime!
AND this is a freshman

Really?

This points out something I said a few weeks back:

Folks who are "down" on IU these days tend to compare us to schools in the historic Top 10 - "we suck compared to [Alabama/OSU/Oklahoma]"

Folks who tend to be positive about IU tend to compare us to ourselves - "we have improved here, here and here. We have a shot to continue getting better."

If you expect us to compare ourselves to Alabama, you will be unhappy. If you expect our freshman QB to be as good as the Alabama freshman QB, I ask you to ask yourself if that is being realistic.

Now, after we win a Rose Bowl and get in the playoffs a couple of years - THAT is when I'll compare us to those historical juggernaut programs.

This isn't basketball.
We can't go out and get 3 great players and dominate the league.

It has taken us 15 YEARS to go from DiNardo dressing 35 scholarship players to having a 2-deep that can compete. It started with Hep getting his 7 Blocks of Limestone and Kellen Lewis, moved through Lynch getting us a series of solid WR's, and into Wilson's burndown and rebuild. Lots of ups and downs.

But, IMO, we start next year with the best 2 deep (top to bottom) that we have had since Mallory, because our No. 2's are much better than in the past. We maybe don't have a Kellen Lewis or Nate Sudfeld at QB, or anybody else that has a shot at being the "best" in their spot over the last 15 years, but our GROUP is solid.

I'm optimistic, but then I always am in March. :D

Our rushing offense was 12th in the league at 130.1 ypg.

Our passing offense was 3rd in the league at 265.7 ypg.

Our red zone EFFICIENCY was 6th - we had 44 red zone appearances and scored 38 times (27 TD/11 FG).

BUT that 44 chances was too low - tied for 10th with Michigan. (Top of the league was 68 (OSU), 62 (Wis) and 59 (PSU/NW) - the top 4 offenses and 4 of the top 6 rush offenses.)

And our "yards per pass" and "yards per catch" were too low. Our "yards per pass" was 6.4 (10th in the league). Our "yards per catch" was 10.4 0 next to last. We threw it 502 times - league most. Purdue was at 491, then it dropped to 460.

Was that the fault of the QB's or WR'S?

Yes.

Gotta get open quicker.
Gotta get rid of it.
Gotta throw a catchable ball.
Gotta catch EVERYTHING YOU CAN TOUCH.

And ..... we gotta run it better.

It's like a ballet - every part in motion, any glitch shows.

Our offensive 2-deep looks nice - we return a lot (9 of the 11 guys who started the Purdue game). If experience matters, we should be better.

Ramsey and all 5 starting OL are back. 4 other OL from the 2-deep are back.

Tronti, Penix and even Reese Taylor can only improve the QB spot.

92% of our carries return. We add Walker and redshirt Nelson - both guys who woulda/coulda started for IU in the recent past.

We have 56% of our catches back, but get Westbrook back to replace Cobbs - who had 24% of our catches last year.

We will be in year 2 of a new offensive scheme/offensive staff - they have had last Spring, last Fall, last season, and now this Spring and fall to get it in and ready. Gotta expect improved efficiency.

On offense, I am as optimistic as I ever was during the Wilson days.

BEAT FIU!

Also, our team passing efficiency was 6th in conference. Not great, but Not terrible. Biggest issue was rushing, and by extension first down efficiency, which was 12th. When you are constantly behind the chains and in passing situations, it’s hard to take shots because defenses are expecting the pass. Even with Wilson, we predominantly took a deep shot while going up tempo on first down. But with lots of 3 and outs and few first downs, there weren’t a lot of opportunities to take shots downfield.

Really?

Folks who are "down" on IU these days tend to compare us to schools in the historic Top 10 - "we suck compared to [Alabama/OSU/Oklahoma]"

Folks who tend to be positive about IU tend to compare us to ourselves - "we have improved here, here and here. We have a shot to continue getting better."

If you expect us to compare ourselves to Alabama, you will be unhappy. If you expect our freshman QB to be as good as the Alabama freshman QB, I ask you to ask yourself if that is being realistic.

Now, after we win a Rose Bowl and get in the playoffs a couple of years - THAT is when I'll compare us to those historical juggernaut programs.

This isn't basketball.

It has taken us 15 YEARS to go from DiNardo dressing 35 scholarship players to having a 2-deep that can compete. It started with Hep getting his 7 Blocks of Limestone and Kellen Lewis, moved through Lynch getting us a series of solid WR's, and into Wilson's burndown and rebuild. Lots of ups and downs.

But, IMO, we start next year with the best 2 deep (top to bottom) that we have had since Mallory, because our No. 2's are much better than in the past. We maybe don't have a Kellen Lewis or Nate Sudfeld at QB, or anybody else that has a shot at being the "best" in their spot over the last 15 years, but our GROUP is solid.

You should have read the dialogue before you posted. My stance was about throwing deep passes in college football and how I think its very much a part of the college game. The other poster had his opinion that its only necessary in the NFL and I disagreed. All good...

Really?

This isn't basketball.

Agreed. Allen is building a deeper roster, and focusing on developing players for four or five years. A big part of that is being patient with guys, and not rushing them onto the field. He also requires the players to demonstrate consistency to their position coaches and earn their trust on and off the field. Wilson’s priority was to get the best talent on the field to run his system. It was working because Wilson’s offensive system is genius. However, I think his long term success was going to be limited because of the difficulty to recruit at IU. I think Allen’s philosophy is a better fit for us because of where we are in recruiting relative to other teams in the Big Ten. Allen will get similar recruits as Wilson then develop them for three to five years before they see the field. This is also why I believe we have another season of five or six wins ahead of us this fall. 2019 will be the year we can begin to evaluate what Allen is capable of accomplishing at IU.

Also, our team passing efficiency was 6th in conference. Not great, but Not terrible. Biggest issue was rushing, and by extension first down efficiency, which was 12th. When you are constantly behind the chains and in passing situations, it’s hard to take shots because defenses are expecting the pass. Even with Wilson, we predominantly took a deep shot while going up tempo on first down. But with lots of 3 and outs and few first downs, there weren’t a lot of opportunities to take shots downfield.
Thank you. Well said.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Really?

This isn't basketball.

I don’t recall anyone comparing us to Alabama, OSU, etc. That would be foolish.

I do recall some posters pointing out that we finished dead last in the East behind Rutgers and Maryland last year, and losing to Purdue for the first time in years.

Those are two completely different standards.

Reactions: Block charge large
I don’t recall anyone comparing us to Alabama, OSU, etc. That would be foolish.

I do recall some posters pointing out that we finished dead last in the East behind Rutgers and Maryland last year, and losing to Purdue for the first time in years.

Those are two completely different standards.
It’s true. We took a step back last year. For some reason people are having a hard time accepting both are true. We took a step back last year, and Tom Allen is doing good things for our future.

It’s true. We took a step back last year. For some reason people are having a hard time accepting both are true. We took a step back last year, and Tom Allen is doing good things for our future.
Well, if the future is bright (and I agree that's the case), why does the perception of 2017 even matter?

Well, if the future is bright (and I agree that's the case), why does the perception of 2017 even matter?
Because my heart is worn out by the types of losses we have incurred over the last few years. I thought we were going to put up some W’s going into last season, and I’m still disappointed about the Maryland and Purdue game.

Because my heart is worn out by the types of losses we have incurred over the last few years. I thought we were going to put up some W’s going into last season, and I’m still disappointed about the Maryland and Purdue game.

manic depressive would be more like it.

being that emotionally invested in hammering home your opinion that IU took a big step back last yr, makes you look more than slightly suspicious Mr "glass all empty" guy.

To know what this staff can do with recruiting we have to wait for them to have four full classes. Remember that 2017 was Wilson's staff recruits that Allen was able to hang on to when the change was made. We should see improvement in 2019 as Allen's staff will have two full classes in and the new SC coaches will have two years to develop them physically. Wilson's last two classes were real declines in recruiting especially as far as depth is concerned. I want to see improvement in Wilson's recruits in 2018 but I doubt it will be a major improvement. Playing tough and losing along with losing games they should have won was Wilson's teams trademark. It doesn't change right away because a coaching change is made unless you have a team that underperformed under the last coach. I think most of us thought Wilson's team overperformed at times as he got what talent theyhad out of them unlike Hazell at PU. This is just my evaluation so take it for what it is worth.

I think most of us thought Wilson's team overperformed at times as he got what talent theyhad out of them
You make some good points, and there may have been some seasons where the team over-performed but 2015 wasn't one of them - - some NFL talent and three blown late leads (Michigan, Duke, and the Rutgers embarrassment). That team should have been, at a minimum, 8-5.

He’s a very modwst thrower of the football. To me, it’s clear. He’s not going to drive the ball down the field, and makes up for some arm weakness by being smart. Obviously he’s young and can get stronger. A 220 pound Ramsey at 21 will simply be stronger than a 205-210 Ramsey at 20. The year of growth in the weight room/practicing arm speed will lead to the ball going further hopefully. But he’s not a “natural” like Lagow.

He doesn’t need to be a natural like Lagow however, he just needs to be adequate. I never thought Sudfeld had a great arm, but it was good enough that he could take deep shots occasionally. He could do it enough that you couldn’t stack the box. That’s all that was needed. For a pro comp on Ramsey, I’d say he’s similar to Alex Smith. A check down master, but rarely turns it over, and CAN hit guys deep occasionally to keep the defense honest, along with possessing enough mobility to scare you/get himself out of bad spots.

So if he can just be adequate enough to occasionally scare you by throwing a 4 verticals shot every now and then, if he can hold unto the ball and make wise decisions, and if he can be accurate on intermediate throws, im okay with him even if he doesn’t have a laser arm. In the end, he needs a run game and a great line to have any success. All of these QB’s do. With their frames, if they have to run for their life, the risk of injury is too great for that to work over a 12 game season... we saw that last year. So they will go as far as the line and running game takes them.

You make some good points, and there may have been some seasons where the team over-performed but 2015 wasn't one of them - - some NFL talent and three blown late leads (Michigan, Duke, and the Rutgers embarrassment). That team should have been, at a minimum, 8-5.
Yeah, I don’t think the 2015 reached its goals by any stretch. Over the summer I mentioned to people close to me that we’d go bowling (in-spite) of Wilson and not because of Wilson, and that’s essentially what happened. I think that he was a good coach, and when I say (in-spite) of Wilson it isn’t to blame him for the losses. Those fall on the players. But his attitude, particularly on defense, didn’t really create a culture where people would play well. If you combine that with his in game management, the leaders/veterans on the team were put in a situation to win (in-spite) of the conditions, not because of the conditions. We should have had an 8 win team on paper based on talent. It ended up being a mad dash at the end just to go 6-6. As was noted, Rutgers is a good example. Don’t forget southern Illinois was a nail biter. Michigan State is one that slipped away, because we had a more talented team IMHO that day, although the score doesn’t reflect it. The defenses, and the lack of management/teaching over there were the issues. Wilson got the program to a much better place, however it was likely capped in the 6-6 range. By all means I’m thankful for having Wilson because it was a good learnings experience and a lot of fun.

Allen seems to me to be a guy who won’t leave any stone unturned. He will find out WHY the offensive line didn’t do well, and communicate that with players. He will find out WHY the team didn’t have success on special teams in the Maryland game. He seems to be a guy who can diagnose issues and correct them. He immediately diagnosed WHY the defense wasn’t yieding Good results, and then he went out and explained that to players, and then they got better results. Tegray Scales said he wanted to be great, and Allen communicates with him HOW he could be great. The philosophy is different from Wilson’s. Allen is a teacher. Wilson simply is not. Wilson is a motivator/passionate guy which improved the program and took it from the basement of Big Ten apathy. However, Allen is a teacher and can now take the program to the next level IMHO that goes beyond Wilson’s ceiling.

Wilson used to always say something that I found to be ironic. “You can work hard, and not get the results you want. My dad worked hard and only got $30,000 a year.” That is true, but that’s precisely what our defense did. If the teaching isn’t there, you can work hard and give up 40 points. However, working hard can yield better results than having apathy and no confidence. That kind of sums up Wilson’s tenure.

Yeah, I don’t think the 2015 reached its goals by any stretch. Over the summer I mentioned to people close to me that we’d go bowling (in-spite) of Wilson and not because of Wilson, and that’s essentially what happened. I think that he was a good coach, and when I say (in-spite) of Wilson it isn’t to blame him for the losses. Those fall on the players. But his attitude, particularly on defense, didn’t really create a culture where people would play well. If you combine that with his in game management, the leaders/veterans on the team were put in a situation to win (in-spite) of the conditions, not because of the conditions. We should have had an 8 win team on paper based on talent. It ended up being a mad dash at the end just to go 6-6. As was noted, Rutgers is a good example. Don’t forget southern Illinois was a nail biter. Michigan State is one that slipped away, because we had a more talented team IMHO that day, although the score doesn’t reflect it. The defenses, and the lack of management/teaching over there were the issues. Wilson got the program to a much better place, however it was likely capped in the 6-6 range. By all means I’m thankful for having Wilson because it was a good learnings experience and a lot of fun.

Allen seems to me to be a guy who won’t leave any stone unturned. He will find out WHY the offensive line didn’t do well, and communicate that with players. He will find out WHY the team didn’t have success on special teams in the Maryland game. He seems to be a guy who can diagnose issues and correct them. He immediately diagnosed WHY the defense wasn’t yieding Good results, and then he went out and explained that to players, and then they got better results. Tegray Scales said he wanted to be great, and Allen communicates with him HOW he could be great. The philosophy is different from Wilson’s. Allen is a teacher. Wilson simply is not. Wilson is a motivator/passionate guy which improved the program and took it from the basement of Big Ten apathy. However, Allen is a teacher and can now take the program to the next level IMHO that goes beyond Wilson’s ceiling.

Wilson used to always say something that I found to be ironic. “You can work hard, and not get the results you want. My dad worked hard and only got $30,000 a year.” That is true, but that’s precisely what our defense did. If the teaching isn’t there, you can work hard and give up 40 points. However, working hard can yield better results than having apathy and no confidence. That kind of sums up Wilson’s tenure.
Yeah. With respect to the SIU game, we had a bunch of suspensions but it still shouldn't have been that close (they were a two point conversion away from beating us). And the Rutgers loss wasn't just on the defense. There was a costly special teams gaffe and we threw two picks that led to Rutgers scores during their comeback.

Yeah. With respect to the SIU game, we had a bunch of suspensions but it still shouldn't have been that close (they were a two point conversion away from beating us). And the Rutgers loss wasn't just on the defense. There was a costly special teams gaffe and we threw two picks that led to Rutgers scores during their comeback.
Yeah SIU was simply a game that highlighted that guys weren’t prepared to play on defense. It was just a fact. Even with the suspensions, there’s no logical reason as to why the game should’ve been that close when we broke down film, besides the fact that guys didn’t understand the defense. Wilson simply wasn’t a manager who was going to ensure that guys understood the defense. I feel as if Allen, although he is a defensive coach, will demand that guys understand the offense before he trots them out unto the field. That is a key difference. CTA strikes me as a guy who will “leave no stone unturned” and that has to translate to a higher win ceiling.

Yeah SIU was simply a game that highlighted that guys weren’t prepared to play on defense. It was just a fact. Even with the suspensions, there’s no logical reason as to why the game should’ve been that close when we broke down film, besides the fact that guys didn’t understand the defense. Wilson simply wasn’t a manager who was going to ensure that guys understood the defense. I feel as if Allen, although he is a defensive coach, will demand that guys understand the offense before he trots them out unto the field. That is a key difference. CTA strikes me as a guy who will “leave no stone unturned” and that has to translate to a higher win ceiling.
You have stated Allen’s strengths very well, and I also believe that his approach is better suited for a head coaching position. However, Wilson’s offenses were something to see. He was able to put together an effective offensive plan nearly every week. Many believe he is the single best offensive mind in college football. I think you are highlighting Wilson’s weaknesses and Allen’s strengths without looking at Wilson’s strengths. We don’t know Allen’s weaknesses yet because it’s still early, but everyone has them.

manic depressive would be more like it.

being that emotionally invested in hammering home your opinion that IU took a big step back last yr, makes you look more than slightly suspicious Mr "glass all empty" guy.
I don’t care what it makes me look like. We had enough talent and returning production to expect a bowl game last year, and I think Allen would agree. It doesn’t mean I dislike Allen, or that I’m impatient with him. I just acknowledge that we underachieved in the win column last year. This year will be a rebuilding and development year, and we will find out a lot about him in the 2019 season.

You have stated Allen’s strengths very well, and I also believe that his approach is better suited for a head coaching position. However, Wilson’s offenses were something to see. He was able to put together an effective offensive plan nearly every week. Many believe he is the single best offensive mind in college football. I think you are highlighting Wilson’s weaknesses and Allen’s strengths without looking at Wilson’s strengths. We don’t know Allen’s weaknesses yet because it’s still early, but everyone has them.
I am looking at Wilsons strengths from a head coaching perspective, and I did note that they are motivating guys, encouraging hard work... basically being meaner than past IU teams. Those are all great things. I noted his weaknesses as well.

If I’m breaking him down as an OC that would be different... as we know, the nature of being an OC in today’s modern football is totally different from being a head coach. I’ve highlighted that I think he’s a tremendous offensive mind. His play calling/designs are exceptional (besides late in games and in short yardage). Overall, (although I am biased), id say that he is one of the top OC’s of all time, and he was one of the biggest influences of the no huddle being used as a normal offense in college. What he did at Northwestern was about 10 years ahead in 2000. What he did here was more of the same. I think he’s a talented OC who learned a skill for himself (offense) and expanded that, which many people do not do in their fields. That is amazing and shows his talent. However, that doesn’t necessarily translate to being a great head coach. I think it’s comparable to someone like Josh McDaniels when he went to Denver. He doesn’t have the extra sauce that Bellichick has. CKW is similar.

I don’t care what it makes me look like. We had enough talent and returning production to expect a bowl game last year, and I think Allen would agree. It doesn’t mean I dislike Allen, or that I’m impatient with him. I just acknowledge that we underachieved in the win column last year. This year will be a rebuilding and development year, and we will find out a lot about him in the 2019 season.
I totally agree with this. We had great talent. IDK do i give a pass? Yes but thats it. Rah rah is one thing, teaching another. Lets hope we get it together quick, inexperienced or not and move forward. Honeymoons dont last long these days!

I am looking at Wilsons strengths from a head coaching perspective, and I did note that they are motivating guys, encouraging hard work... basically being meaner than past IU teams. Those are all great things. I noted his weaknesses as well.

If I’m breaking him down as an OC that would be different... as we know, the nature of being an OC in today’s modern football is totally different from being a head coach. I’ve highlighted that I think he’s a tremendous offensive mind. His play calling/designs are exceptional (besides late in games and in short yardage). Overall, (although I am biased), id say that he is one of the top OC’s of all time, and he was one of the biggest influences of the no huddle being used as a normal offense in college. What he did at Northwestern was about 10 years ahead in 2000. What he did here was more of the same. I think he’s a talented OC who learned a skill for himself (offense) and expanded that, which many people do not do in their fields. That is amazing and shows his talent. However, that doesn’t necessarily translate to being a great head coach. I think it’s comparable to someone like Josh McDaniels when he went to Denver. He doesn’t have the extra sauce that Bellichick has. CKW is similar.
Again, I agree with everything you are saying. There was just a lot that you left out about Wilson in the posts above. He was a good coach for Indiana, and he moved us forward in the eyes of our competition and the media. He also developed a handful of players that were mentally and physically prepared to make a career in the NFL. We have entered a new era with Allen. Most indications are that he knows what he is doing, but I still think we should have went to a bowl last year.

I will never understand why Wilson wasn’t able to stabilize the quarterback room. You would think gunslingers would have been lining up to play in his system.
“stabilize” would be a key concept. My very strong suspicion is that recruits were scared off by KWs schizophrenia...did he want a drop back guy or a DT guy? And why was he calling the same plays for both guys? Who was going to start the first game was once determined by a staff vote. QB is an all or nothing prospect as far as playing time, and I think it was too hard to draw a bead on what KW was going to settle on. By contrast, it’s clear what Allen and DeBord are doing and the type of player they want to run it, and they are not afraid to name a starter, have a plan, and work the plan. I think that will be more attractive to recruits.

“stabilize” would be a key concept. My very strong suspicion is that recruits were scared off by KWs schizophrenia...did he want a drop back guy or a DT guy? And why was he calling the same plays for both guys? Who was going to start the first game was once determined by a staff vote. QB is an all or nothing prospect as far as playing time, and I think it was too hard to draw a bead on what KW was going to settle on. By contrast, it’s clear what Allen and DeBord are doing and the type of player they want to run it, and they are not afraid to name a starter, have a plan, and work the plan. I think that will be more attractive to recruits.
Yes, especially parents of recruits because Allen can give them an expectation and stick to it. Wilson ran the team more like a pro team. No ones job is safe, and trust can only be earned on the field.

I think QB prospects were also scared off by some significant events in 2014. Coffman left in January, Roberson left in June, Sudfeld got hurt in October, his backup (Covington) got hurt in the same game, and a nowhere-near-ready Diamont was thrust into the starting role. A six game losing streak followed, and Tommy Stevens pulled his commitment (after the 13-7 loss to Penn State) in November.

It is nothing short of crazy that a QB (Roberson) walked away after what was arguably the greatest single-game performance (the Bucket game, November 2013; Roberson: 6 TD passes, 154 yards rushing) by a QB in program history. In any event, and in a matter of months, we went from quality depth at QB to having no one who was ready to play the position. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, particularly in the days leading up to Roberson's late off-season departure, but the optics were terrible - - and so were the results.

Yes, especially parents of recruits because Allen can give them an expectation and stick to it. Wilson ran the team more like a pro team. No ones job is safe, and trust can only be earned on the field.
That was puzzling. In the past now. I still thought that his best bet would’ve been to sign (Riley Neil?) who was in our backyard, and will be a four year starter at Ball State. The guy is a carbon copy of Sudfeld. Was never offered. But then he went out and got Austin king who didn’t fit the system at all. Or a Danny Cameron. One explanation (not to make excuses for CKW) is that he targeted highly rated guys, and when he could not get them, the lower tier 3*\2* guys were taken.

It goes back to my theory that a recruits value isn’t so much in his stars, but how well he fits your system. Neil was a 2*, but a guy who really fit the system. By ignoring that, and putting all of his eggs in Stevens, CKW was left without a backup plan, and eventually had to settle on King, who didn’t not fit the system. That could explain why recruiting at QB was hit and miss. If you recall, there was no backup plan for Sudfeld, likely because CKW was targetting all 5* guys. So he had a mad dash just to get Lagow at the end of then cycle. That is my only logical explanation for why recruiting may have been hit or miss at QB.

I think QB prospects were also scared off by some significant events in 2014. Coffman left in January, Roberson left in June, Sudfeld got hurt in October, his backup (Covington) got hurt in the same game, and a nowhere-near-ready Diamont was thrust into the starting role. A six game losing streak followed, and Tommy Stevens pulled his commitment (after the 13-7 loss to Penn State) in November.

It is nothing short of crazy that a QB (Roberson) walked away after what was arguably the greatest single-game performance (the Bucket game, November 2013; Roberson: 6 TD passes, 154 yards rushing) by a QB in program history. In any event, and in a matter of months, we went from quality depth at QB to having no one who was ready to play the position. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, particularly in the days leading up to Roberson's late off-season departure, but the optics were terrible - - and so were the results.
TR left because he wasn’t named the starter after the Spring. Had he been named the starter, NS very likely would’ve left. KW tried to keep it an open competition and it didn’t work. The mistake was in counting on either CC or ZD, neither of whom had BT quarterback ability.

difficult to know how others i've never even met feel about things, but here's my 2 cents.

TR gets season ending injury the yr before, after looking good early.

next yr, TR gets named the starter before the 1st game.

1st game, TR starts and plays only a few plays, (one possession at most i think), the last iirc, about a 77 yrd perfect strike long bomb TD pass falling backwards with guys all over him.

NS comes in on the 2nd offensive series, and TR doesn't see the field again that game. (after being great in that 1st series, and being the named starter).

or much, if any, the next game or two iirc.

TR and NS didn't split QB that yr.. iirc, NS got about 2/3rds of the snaps, even though TR was at least just as effective.

i wonder how many here realize that TR had better passing stats that yr, including QB rating, and i think even had better stats throwing it downfield. (TR also played mostly against the big boys other than that PU game, so he wasn't padding his stats against lesser oponents).

i personally was miffed why TR wasn't getting more of a shot, and said so here more than once.

apparently TR was miffed as well.

pure speculation, but i just don't think TR trusted CKW to give him an equal shot.

difficult to know how others i've never even met feel about things, but here's my 2 cents.

TR gets season ending injury the yr before, after looking good early.

next yr, TR gets named the starter before the 1st game.

1st game, TR starts and plays only a few plays, (one possession at most i think), the last iirc, about a 77 yrd perfect strike long bomb TD pass falling backwards with guys all over him.

NS comes in on the 2nd offensive series, and TR doesn't see the field again that game. (after being great in that 1st series, and being the named starter).

or much, if any, the next game or two iirc.

TR and NS didn't split QB that yr.. iirc, NS got about 2/3rds of the snaps, even though TR was at least just as effective.

i wonder how many here realize that TR had better passing stats that yr, including QB rating, and i think even had better stats throwing it downfield. (TR also played mostly against the big boys other than that PU game, so he wasn't padding his stats against lesser oponents).

i personally was miffed why TR wasn't getting more of a shot, and said so here more than once.

apparently TR was miffed as well.

pure speculation, but i just don't think TR trusted CKW to give him an equal shot.
Yeah this isn’t pretty accurate. Nate was close to transferring as well. People don’t realize how close he was to being gone. Your analysis is pretty good. Many guys on the team were surprised that TR wasn’t just outright named the starter after spring. However, I get the impression that TR stays if a decision is made. I got the impression that he was even willing to play WR (he would sometimes play reciever in 7 on 7 and was GOOD). I don’t think that it mattered WHICH decision was made. Both guys were just ready for A decision to be made. CKW didn’t do that and TR blinked first, although it could’ve just as easily been Sudfeld. There was a trust factor that was lost. I’m confident TR would’ve played reciever. I mean he spent two years as a corner for the Vikings, and appears to still be working out, looking to sign on as a free agent as a corner. Seems like a selfless guy who would play any position.

I would slightly disagree with the other poster that CKW viewed CC as a Big Ten QB. We brought him in as a DB. He was still recovering from a HS injury the summer we brought him in. It was bizarre but he started throwing one day in camp, and out of the blue CKW said “put him at QB” essentially, but it was pretty clear he’d play defense really. That same summer CKW brought in Cameron. Now I’m assuming CKW thought he was a Big Ten QB. That move pissed a lot of people on the team off though, because DC didn’t start in HS, had no credentials, and he offered him out of the blue in the middle of summer. To me, it appeared as if he got an offer due to his father, because there was no other justification to anyone, and SOME other players shared that view.

Yeah this isn’t pretty accurate. Nate was close to transferring as well. People don’t realize how close he was to being gone. Your analysis is pretty good. Many guys on the team were surprised that TR wasn’t just outright named the starter after spring. However, I get the impression that TR stays if a decision is made. I got the impression that he was even willing to play WR (he would sometimes play reciever in 7 on 7 and was GOOD). I don’t think that it mattered WHICH decision was made. Both guys were just ready for A decision to be made. CKW didn’t do that and TR blinked first, although it could’ve just as easily been Sudfeld. There was a trust factor that was lost. I’m confident TR would’ve played reciever. I mean he spent two years as a corner for the Vikings, and appears to still be working out, looking to sign on as a free agent as a corner. Seems like a selfless guy who would play any position.

I would slightly disagree with the other poster that CKW viewed CC as a Big Ten QB. We brought him in as a DB. He was still recovering from a HS injury the summer we brought him in. It was bizarre but he started throwing one day in camp, and out of the blue CKW said “put him at QB” essentially, but it was pretty clear he’d play defense really. That same summer CKW brought in Cameron. Now I’m assuming CKW thought he was a Big Ten QB. That move pissed a lot of people on the team off though, because DC didn’t start in HS, had no credentials, and he offered him out of the blue in the middle of summer. To me, it appeared as if he got an offer due to his father, because there was no other justification to anyone, and SOME other players shared that view.

You may be able to clarify something for me.

Wilson once made an off-the-cuff comment during an interview, something like “I don’t get enough say in who starts.” At the time, it made me think he preferred Tre at QB. It was the year after Tre broke his leg.

Any insight?

Reactions: ESalum86

Wilson once made an off-the-cuff comment during an interview, something like “I don’t get enough say in who starts.” At the time, it made me think he preferred Tre at QB. It was the year after Tre broke his leg.

Any insight?
He wanted a combination of the two, which is why he had so much trouble picking one. Neither had the talent of a Bradford, but KW built his career on a kid named Zak Kustok, and he was always trying to find that kind of a run/throw kid at IU. It wasn't Wright-Baker or Kiel, and it wasn't Coffman / Sudfeld / Roberson. It also wasn't Gunner Kiel, though it probably was Stevens. He took a gamble that it could be Zander, but it wasn't him, either. He just was never satisfied with that position

Any insight?
No insight there. My best guess would be that Latrell had a bit of a struggle as to who starts, which makes sense. Sudfeld was his recruit from Arizona, and very similar to Nick Foles (ironically they’re on the same team now). My best guess would be that Latrell wanted Sudfeld because that was his guy. The year after Tre broke his leg, Latrell would’ve still been the OC, so I’d imagine that was the issue.

He wanted a combination of the two, which is why he had so much trouble picking one. Neither had the talent of a Bradford, but KW built his career on a kid named Zak Kustok, and he was always trying to find that kind of a run/throw kid at IU. It wasn't Wright-Baker or Kiel, and it wasn't Coffman / Sudfeld / Roberson. It also wasn't Gunner Kiel, though it probably was Stevens. He took a gamble that it could be Zander, but it wasn't him, either. He just was never satisfied with that position
I’d say that’s pretty accurate. I recall him even having read option plays for Sudfeld because he couldn’t let go of that need for a dual threat guy. However, I will say that he worked wonders with Landry Jones at Oklahoma, who was by no stretch a dual threat. CKW could’ve definitely settled on a pocket guy IMO, but as you noted, he wanted both.

I’d say that’s pretty accurate. I recall him even having read option plays for Sudfeld because he couldn’t let go of that need for a dual threat guy. However, I will say that he worked wonders with Landry Jones at Oklahoma, who was by no stretch a dual threat. CKW could’ve definitely settled on a pocket guy IMO, but as you noted, he wanted both.
Forgot about Jones, with whom he did good work. The other thing KW valued was a durable back whom he could ride and, while he had some very good ones at IU, none had the durability of Peterson or Damien Anderson, his two favorites.

Forgot about Jones, with whom he did good work. The other thing KW valued was a durable back whom he could ride and, while he had some very good ones at IU, none had the durability of Peterson or Damien Anderson, his two favorites.
True. Tevin Coleman is 14’ was up there though. We ran that man into the ground. Obviously I wouldn’t put him in the class of Peterson. Peterson looked for a jarring collision each play, but Coleman had to have been near the top for most carries CKW has given a guy in a season. I thought Jordan Howard would be more durable though. Closer to Peterson due to his size, but he was less durable than Tevin. Can’t blame Howard though. He wanted to get paid. I honestly can’t blame him for sitting out some games and choosing to get paid down the road, rather then risk further injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT