ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey's Arm

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
These are mostly just numbers - nothing much to compare to.

In our games, here are "longest pass" numbers for Ramsey and Lagow:

Ramsey 32-42-23-45-24-29-34-xx-xx-xx-xx
Lagow 17-71-54-xx-20-xx-18-24-35-57-52

Ramsey went 134-205 (65.4%), 10 TD's and 5 INTS

His "length" was as follows (there are 138 here - 4 were called back by penalty):

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)
37% of his passes go for a first down or better.

For a 1st year guy, I'm OK with all that.

(I didn't count up Lagow's lengths - Tiger is playing, and he had several games of 60+ passes. Feel free to do it. I like to know.)

His "length" was as follows (there are 138 here - 4 were called back by penalty):

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

(I didn't count up Lagow's lengths - Tiger is playing, and he had several games of 60+ passes. Feel free to do it. I like to know.)
Thank you for the research.

He doesn’t have the strongest arm, but some of the comments posted here about it have just been silly. You don’t put up the numbers he did as a freshman with a noodle arm. And I feel like the people who downplay his performance never actually compare it to other freshmen QBs.

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

This is pretty telling that he was more comfortable with the short game. He had a very good redshirt freshman year. However, this season will require a lot more out of the offense. He will have to improve at the long ball for us to win games.

Last edited:

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

A Strong armed QB is nice, but I'm much more concerned with accuracy. There are times you need to keep a D honest, but for the most part, a temp offense will pass 25 yards and in. Ramsey is extremely accurate in that area.

He doesn't need a cannon. He's a smart, dual-threat QB and he can win for us. He showed incredible poise and grit for a freshman, displayed effective game management skills, and earned effusive praise from Harbaugh after taking us to overtime against the Wolverines and with Michigan defenders in his face all day long. He's a coach's son, he thrived in the super-competitive Cincinnati high school football environment, and I don't care what kind of plays the coaches were dialing up for him and what routes his receivers were running last season - - a 65.4 completion percentage is pretty effing impressive.

He doesn't need a cannon. He's a smart, dual-threat QB and he can win for us. He showed incredible poise and grit for a freshman, displayed effective game management skills, and earned effusive praise from Harbaugh after taking us to overtime against the Wolverines and with Michigan defenders in his face all day long. He's a coach's son, he thrived in the super-competitive Cincinnati high school football environment, and I don't care what kind of plays the coaches were dialing up for him and what routes his receivers were running last season - - a 65.4 completion percentage is pretty effing impressive.
He doesn’t need a cannon, but he has to get the ball down the field when it’s there. He played well last year, and he will have to play better to win five games again this year.

This is pretty telling that he was more comfortable with the short game. He had a very good redshirt freshman year. However, this season will require a lot more out of the offense. He will have to improve at the long ball for us to win games.

He didn't have a lot of time to let things develop. After a time you get used to that and your eyes are looking for something quick. I think his arm is a little better than he is getting credit for. We shall see.

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

A Strong armed QB is nice, but I'm much more concerned with accuracy. There are times you need to keep a D honest, but for the most part, a temp offense will pass 25 yards and in. Ramsey is extremely accurate in that area.

You definitely have to be able to stretch the field, this takes fast outside guys as well. The short game work against mediocre teams the good teams can take it away especially if you can’t stretch the field.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He needs to make game winning plays, that's the most important aspect. If he does that, it'll be a good season and he'll have a firm grasp on the QB job.

I did not think he showed the ability to consistently stretch a college defense last year...I think he's a great back-up, just not sold on him as a dynamic QB who can make winning plays, JMO.

You definitely have to be able to stretch the field, this takes fast outside guys as well. The short game work against mediocre teams the good teams can take it away especially if you can’t stretch the field.
Yes. No one said otherwise.

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

I liked Ramsey over Lagow last year......that said, Ramsey's ypc last year was one of the worst nationally for QBs with significant attempts....

Ramsey---Yards per attempt: 6.1.....yards per completion....9.3
Lagow---Yards per attempt....6.6....yards per completion....11.3

0 or lost yards 9
0-4 30
5-9 48
10-14 25
15-19 12
20-24 7
25-29 3
30-34 2
35-39 x
40-45 2

less than 10 87 (63%)
10-19 37 (27%)
20+ 14 (10%)

all i want from my qb is to be able to matriculate the ball down the field and into the end zone. i don't care how he does it.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
I liked Ramsey over Lagow last year......that said, Ramsey's ypc last year was one of the worst nationally for QBs with significant attempts....

His completion percentage was second in the conference, 13th nationally, and best in IU single-season history. Sure, a lot of it was short, underneath stuff. But we're talking about a freshman QB with a less-than-stellar OL and with two of his best receivers (Westbrook and Hale) out with injuries. Accuracy is key, and his was impressive.

The game is going to slow down for him this year thanks to experience and an improved (hopefully) OL. We'll see longer routes and longer completions. I went back and watched his highlight video from Elder. The kid's absolutely got arm strength and can make deep throws.

His completion percentage was second in the conference, 13th nationally, and best in IU single-season history. Sure, a lot of it was short, underneath stuff. But we're talking about a freshman QB with a less-than-stellar OL and with two of his best receivers (Westbrook and Hale) out with injuries. Accuracy is key, and his was impressive.

The game is going to slow down for him this year thanks to experience and an improved (hopefully) OL. We'll see longer routes and longer completions. I went back and watched his highlight video from Elder. The kid's absolutely got arm strength and can make deep throws.
i like ramsey. with the improvement of the pieces surrounding him, i think he'll do very well.

Yes, but ...

To be honest, neither of our guys "threw people open" last year. They needed to see an open guy before they let go.

When Ramsey was in the game, I caught myself whispering "get rid of it, get rid of it." I felt his quickness of foot was deceiving him into holding onto it too long.

When Lagow was in the game, I found myself whispering, "don't throw it so hard - you'll kill somebody." His gun was great if you were 40 yards downfield. But from the 10 into the endzone, he could break bones.

(And that is why I think he still has a shot to make a pro roster. Put him behind a great OL and Lagow can move a team and throw it over that mountain, and throw into small windows. He needs the right scheme, and the NFL is moving away from his type of play, but there are still places that can play a pocket guy effectively.)

Yes, but ...

To be honest, neither of our guys "threw people open" last year. They needed to see an open guy before they let go.

When Ramsey was in the game, I caught myself whispering "get rid of it, get rid of it." I felt his quickness of foot was deceiving him into holding onto it too long.

When Lagow was in the game, I found myself whispering, "don't throw it so hard - you'll kill somebody." His gun was great if you were 40 yards downfield. But from the 10 into the endzone, he could break bones.

(And that is why I think he still has a shot to make a pro roster. Put him behind a great OL and Lagow can move a team and throw it over that mountain, and throw into small windows. He needs the right scheme, and the NFL is moving away from his type of play, but there are still places that can play a pocket guy effectively.)

He's the kind of guy who could be in the NFL 7 years and never start a game. Good for him if that's how it plays out.....definitely a good guy.

But that's not IU's offense. WE use tempo and shorter passes. As stated most are from 25 yards on in. I do agree you need to keep the D honest, but whomever is QB will not need to throw vertical past 25 yards more than 5 or so times a game. In IU's tempo attack it's designed to move the chains, and get the ball out quickly and allow the WR or RB or TE to make a play in space. The need for a vertical passer only exists in pro ball.

Time in the weight room, better O-line protection, faster WRs, I believe that Ramsey will make more explosive plays in the passing game.

If Ramsey is our best option it’s going to be a long year. I’m holding out hope one of the freshmen will be ready.

If Ramsey is our best option it’s going to be a long year. I’m holding out hope one of the freshmen will be ready.

I too hope we have a strong freshman. That said, it may not be a long year from a QB standpoint if PR develops arm strength and technique during winter and summer. The fact that Wilson put IU in this position is inexcusable.

I have no idea what you are thinking. National Championship drop the dime!
AND this is a freshman
And that's one play. How many "dimes" does Alabama throw like that over the course of a game? Not many. You can cherry pick any game you want and find some bombs but the vast majority are not deep balls for most schools because they rely on the short game with a dual threat QB. As I stated previously, IU isn't going to plan to throw deep very often. And as I also stated the vertical passing game is something that only the NFL worries about every single series. The vertical passing game for most college consists of broken coverages that present an opportunity or designed go routes. There are few schools that really throw vertical much more but the vast majority do not. And if you are looking for a QB on IU's roster that has the vertical passing game down, you aren't going to find one.

I’m not so much concerned with vertical but more with being able to effectively drive the ball outside the numbers. I can’t put my hands on any charts but I seem to remember throws to the sidelines outside of 5 yards were nonexistent which allows the defense to compress the middle of the field even more.

Love him or hate him Lagow could drive the sidelines and seams.

And that's one play. How many "dimes" does Alabama throw like that over the course of a game? Not many. You can cherry pick any game you want and find some bombs but the vast majority are not deep balls for most schools because they rely on the short game with a dual threat QB. As I stated previously, IU isn't going to plan to throw deep very often. And as I also stated the vertical passing game is something that only the NFL worries about every single series. The vertical passing game for most college consists of broken coverages that present an opportunity or designed go routes. There are few schools that really throw vertical much more but the vast majority do not. And if you are looking for a QB on IU's roster that has the vertical passing game down, you aren't going to find one.
I just picked something that came off the top of my head. You ever watch a Pac 12 game? They drop bombs all night. Trace McsSorley can drop dimes thats why they kill it lately. If you don't have that threat you become easy to defend. To say the vertical game only lives in the NFL is flat wrong. Sudfeld dropped dimes all day! AND btw go watch Tronti and Penix high school film. Both those guys can throw downfield!

Edit: Nate's avg. per completion was 14.4 yards! Jalen Hurts average completion for Alabama last year was 13.5 yards.

Last edited:

hard to believe we even let him back on the team this yr.

got have someone who can stand in one end zone, and knock the goalposts down at the other end with one throw.

Edit: Nate's avg. per completion was 14.4 yards! Jalen Hurts average completion for Alabama last year was 13.5 yards.
Apples and oranges. Think about Sudfeld's supporting cast, including Spriggs, Feeney and Camiel. Ramsey was working behind an ineffective offensive line with a limited run game (Ellison, Majette and Gest all missed significant time) and with two of his primary weapons (Westbrook and Hale) lost for the season. Cobbs was a marked man, and there simply wasn't a whole lot the offense could do. Even when Lagow was in, much of our O was short passes despite Lagow's rifle.

I'm much more impressed with Ramsey's completion percentage than I am troubled (I'm not) by the YPC stat.

Reactions: 76-1
IU is in so much better a position at QB than any time since the Sudfeld- Roberson depth.

Not even close. And, if people keep thinking it’s going to be handed to Ramsey, they don’t know the staff. It’s an open competition. Period.

2014 - Sudfeld injury. Covington - little experience, injured. Diamont - thrown to the wolves.

2015 - Sudfeld -went out against OSU. Diamont - gained 1/2 lb in muscle from the previous year. Only can run, no passing.

2016 - A deer-in the-headlights Lagow. The defense steps up to save the season. Had to go to a gimmick offense with Diamont (he had added 1 lb of muscle at this point) and a 260 lb bowling ball to win a pivotal game.

2017 - Another deer-in-the headlights outing from Lagow with the same problem throwing to the other team at the worst possible time in the game.. Replaced by Ramsey. He relied more on his leg than arm....but those legs beat Virginia.

2018 - I like Ramsey’s upside in 2018 better than Lagow’s in his second attempt in 2017. And, now, we are in a position with a QB in Tronti and a 4 **** frosh.

There is no comparison in depth. None.

When you are relying on a 160 lb true freshman with no game experience or a converted LB as option C, you’ve got big problems in your pipeline.

IU is in so much better a position at QB than any time since the Sudfeld- Roberson depth.

Not even close. And, if people keep thinking it’s going to be handed to Ramsey, they don’t know the staff. It’s an open competition. Period.

2014 - Sudfeld injury. Covington - little experience, injured. Diamont - thrown to the wolves.

2015 - Sudfeld -went out against OSU. Diamont - gained 1/2 lb in muscle from the previous year. Only can run, no passing.

2016 - A deer-in the-headlights Lagow. The defense steps up to save the season. Had to go to a gimmick offense with Diamont (he had added 1 lb of muscle at this point) and a 260 lb bowling ball to win a pivotal game.

2017 - Another deer-in-the headlights outing from Lagow with the same problem throwing to the other team at the worst possible time in the game.. Replaced by Ramsey. He relied more on his leg than arm....but those legs beat Virginia.

2018 - I like Ramsey’s upside in 2018 better than Lagow’s in his second attempt in 2017. And, now, we are in a position with a QB in Tronti and a 4 **** frosh.

When you are relying on a 160 lb true freshman with no game experience or a converted LB as option C, you’ve got big problems in your pipeline.
I will never understand why Wilson wasn’t able to stabilize the quarterback room. You would think gunslingers would have been lining up to play in his system.

^^^^^ R E F R E S H I N G ^^^^^

Apples and oranges. Think about Sudfeld's supporting cast, including Spriggs, Feeney and Camiel. Ramsey was working behind an ineffective offensive line with a limited run game (Ellison, Majette and Gest all missed significant time) and with two of his primary weapons (Westbrook and Hale) lost for the season. Cobbs was a marked man, and there simply wasn't a whole lot the offense could do. Even when Lagow was in, much of our O was short passes despite Lagow's rifle.

I'm much more impressed with Ramsey's completion percentage than I am troubled (I'm not) by the YPC stat.

Also, I feel like a relatively high percentage of Ramsey’s throws were made on the move which is going to make throwing downfield more difficult. And I think this was largely designed by the coaches to compensate for the weak OL.

Reactions: Bowlmania

While I agree with some of what you say its not apples and oranges. Lets just see what this year brings.

Also, I'm not blaming it all on Ramsey. Wilsons offense took shots downfield. Last years offense was inept even when Lagow or Ramsey had time. Other teams ran crossing routes against us and scrubbed guys off all the time. We hardly ever did that.

I agree we look 10 times better at the QB spot.

I have to admit though as everyone else reading has to admit it too...In reference to your 2016 gimmick offense. When I saw Wilson march Tyler out at QB with Diamont as RB I was like wtf. Then they march downfield and score. I was lmao the whole drive. Pure genius!

AND one other thing. I have said this a million times watching option football and spread option. Watch how long Tyler leaves the ball in Diamont's gut before he pulls out and takes off. He waits till the end bites every time. We don't do that anymore and that is half the battle running spread option. You have to be tricky and magician like to be effective.

Last edited:
While I agree with some of what you say its not apples and oranges. Lets just see what this year brings.

Also, I'm not blaming it all on Ramsey. Wilsons offense took shots downfield. Last years offense was inept even when Lagow or Ramsey had time. Other teams ran crossing routes against us and scrubbed guys off all the time. We hardly ever did that.
Fair point. Gotta see improved OL play this year and a more productive offense overall. And hopefully guys stay healthy.

I’m not so much concerned with vertical but more with being able to effectively drive the ball outside the numbers. I can’t put my hands on any charts but I seem to remember throws to the sidelines outside of 5 yards were nonexistent which allows the defense to compress the middle of the field even more.

Love him or hate him Lagow could drive the sidelines and seams.

When he "drove the seams" it generally resulted in an int.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT