ADVERTISEMENT

Radio Interview with Matt Surface, Following the Spring Cream and Crimson Game . . .

Thanks for posting this. My only objection was the attitude of Moritz that the Hoosiers should either quake in fear or forfeit the opening game because they are playing "THEE OHIO STATE." I would think most people would be aware of the good games we have played against them the last few years. Since we have to face them every season I would rather it be the opening game before any lack of depth on our part would be more glaring due to injuries.

Reactions: turney333 and RBB89
I didn't care for that piece.....too much running scared. Having said that, IU must either beat their schedule with less, or start recruiting at a four star pace and get better and better players.

IU will always have a ridiculous football schedule now that they're in the East. It's up to the big wigs in charge to develop the program.

I'm sure the team will be ready for OSU. If you listen and believe what other people say that's exactly what this program is trying to overcome. The first thing to achieving success in anything is you have to believe you can do it. I have no doubt in my mind that this team will be ready to win that first game. That is exactly what coach Allen is all about. Breakthrough is waiting and it's not just words. Coach Allen doesnt come off as a guy that lacks confidence. He will have these guys prepared and ready and they will believe. LEO

Reactions: ESalum86
The host literally had to change his pants after that interview. The amount of fear and trepidation in his voice over the opening game kept permeating the entire segment. OSU is having their first game too. Might be a good time as any to play them rather than 8 games in when they are a well-oiled machine.

Reactions: IUcolorado
I was, and probably still am, against this game schedule. But your point is well made. It aint workin' the other way. No harm in trying this...once. Vbg...

Reactions: BayernFan
Exactly how did a conference game end up being the first game of the year?

Is this a one year thing?

Big Ten teams routinely opened their seasons for years with an initial conference game followed by the bulk of their OOC schedule, then the balance of the conference slate.

It's because of the expansion to nine conference games, so it will happen every once in a while.

The future for football (and basketball for that matter) is a "kickoff" or "tipoff"
bonanza every year. Marquee matchups all throughout the first weekend. Generate high interest. They are going away from dull matchups. The SEC is playing a bunch of the intrigiung games on t.v that first weekend.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the timing of this matchup. There is significant interest in this game, not just because we're playing a powerhouse, conference opponent but also due to the Kevin Wilson storyline. It will be pretty cool to begin a season with buzz and a packed house for a change.

This is an awesome first test, and we'll quickly have an idea of what kind of a team we've got. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not like we've had great success playing OSU later in the season, so why not give this a shot. Opening games, in my view, level the playing field to some extent and seem to lend themselves to upsets. Here's hoping for a big upset on 8/31.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the timing of this matchup. There is significant interest in this game, not just because we're playing a powerhouse, conference opponent but also due to the Kevin Wilson storyline. It will be pretty cool to begin a season with buzz and a packed house for a change.

This is an awesome first test, and we'll quickly have an idea of what kind of a team we've got. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not like we've had great success playing OSU later in the season, so why not give this a shot. Opening games, in my view, level the playing field to some extent and seem to lend themselves to upsets. Here's hoping for a big upset on 8/31.

I wouldn't say it levels the playing field per se. I think what it does is introduces more variability into the games creating a larger/wider distribution of possible outcomes.

I'm happy with OSU being the first game because I truly think it gives IU a higher probability than normal of getting a win. The important caveat though is that this also increases the likelihood of IU getting blown out. (These come at the expense of 10-14 point losses becoming less likely). And since it ultimately comes down IU trying to get its first win against OSU in 30 years, I'll take the increased risk of a blow out if it increases the odds of a win.

Reactions: RBB89
I'm happy with OSU being the first game because I truly think it gives IU a higher probability than normal of getting a win.
I'd like to think that's the case, but I dunno... if the recent past is any indication, it's taken us a few games to hit our stride.

That said, the Rah! Rah! in me says "Anyone, Anytime, Any Place". If we're going to Break Through, this game will be as good a time as any.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT