ADVERTISEMENT

Race Thompson Interview

Pryght

Junior
Nov 24, 2005
Some Highlights:

1. Impressed with Malik (Euorstep/one-step fadeaway); stronger than Race expected (on court and weight room); B1G-ready
2. Team is shooting the ball SIGNIFICANTLY better than this time last year (based on real data collected by coaching staff)
3. Practices are a lot more competitive this year
4. Race is working the most on shooting/handling this summer
5. NIL didn't factor into his decision to return
6. Impressed with Kaleb Banks (big wing who can shoot the ball at all three levels and make plays for teammates)

Aside: I wonder how having Hulls around might positively impact Leal... The number of guys on this team who could have breakout seasons is staggering.

The level of talent and depth on this team is significantly greater than Archie ever put together. Question is only about how well they perform as a team when it counts. We heard last season that Parker Stewart was a lights out shooter, but when crunch time came he was inconsistent and had real problems getting his shot off due to his slow release. He needed a lot of space to be a reliable shooter.

The jury is out relative to who can create and make a shot and be a closer in those tough games. Trace was nullified in a number of games last season, so there needs to be a couple of more guys who can step up. I don't have much confidence in X's shot, despite his improved play at the end of the season, due to his release point. I hope he can become the guy or one of the guys.

I do think adding the Montverde guys is a big plus from an undereported perspective. They are winners. They are used to winning big games. They are champions. Those are the kind of guys you want leading your team. They won't accept losing very well and are real gamers. That will impact the other guys.

Reactions: IU2Bgood
Some Highlights:

1. Impressed with Malik (Euorstep/one-step fadeaway); stronger than Race expected (on court and weight room); B1G-ready
2. Team is shooting the ball SIGNIFICANTLY better than this time last year (based on real data collected by coaching staff)
3. Practices are a lot more competitive this year
4. Race is working the most on shooting/handling this summer
5. NIL didn't factor into his decision to return
6. Impressed with Kaleb Banks (big wing who can shoot the ball at all three levels and make plays for teammates)

Aside: I wonder how having Hulls around might positively impact Leal... The number of guys on this team who could have breakout seasons is staggering.

Banks might just be the breakout newcomer or perhaps both Malik and Kaleb. IU should have an extremely strong front court if these two guys can significantly contribute. Pressure could be on Bates or JHS to be the playmaking 2-guard this team needs.

Banks might just be the breakout newcomer or perhaps both Malik and Kaleb. IU should have an extremely strong front court if these two guys can significantly contribute. Pressure could be on Bates or JHS to be the playmaking 2-guard this team needs.
Yeah, I generally don't get too excited about freshmen, but it's good to hear positive comments from a senior teammate, that he's noticing them. Plus, I just love the description of the temperament that both Reanu and JHS bring. We've needed some toughness added to our team chemistry for years. Hoping these guys can help instill that some, even as freshmen. It would be kind of interesting to try and pair them up with a couple other young guys, maybe LD and Leal (although isn't this his junior year?) and let them scrimmage the older guys.

Yeah, I generally don't get too excited about freshmen, but it's good to hear positive comments from a senior teammate, that he's noticing them. Plus, I just love the description of the temperament that both Reanu and JHS bring. We've needed some toughness added to our team chemistry for years. Hoping these guys can help instill that some, even as freshmen. It would be kind of interesting to try and pair them up with a couple other young guys, maybe LD and Leal (although isn't this his junior year?) and let them scrimmage the older guys.
Leal JG and Trey are still Soph O mores. Thank covid. Hell, TJD is a jr!

I like toughness too, why I like Tamar so much. This team could have a bunch of "dudes". I am intrigued with Gunn. Hell, I'd put money on this being the best class since TB, Juwan and OG. Not crazy to say 3 of these guys could log some mins in the NBA one day. 2 of the 4 would be a good bet.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

I like toughness too, why I like Tamar so much. This team could have a bunch of "dudes". I am intrigued with Gunn. Hell, I'd put money on this being the best class since TB, Juwan and OG. Not crazy to say 3 of these guys could log some mins in the NBA one day. 2 of the 4 would be a good bet.
Hope you're right on Bates, you were pretty far off the mark on your predictions for him last season (one and done?). He seemed to have a long way to go defensively, shooting percentage, decision making and physically. That's a long list to improve on in one off season.

Hope you're right on Bates, you were pretty far off the mark on your predictions for him last season (one and done?). He seemed to have a long way to go defensively, shooting percentage, decision making and physically. That's a long list to improve on in one off season.
I never said I thought he would be one and done. I said I thought he would be a 2 or 3 year player that could be a one and done. I did think he would win freshman of the year in the big ten, and he obviously did not play up to my hype. However, I have not wavered on how good I think he will be. This is his year.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

OK, I like that grouping better and I forgot about Tamar: the 4 freshmen and Tamar and LD vs TJD, Race, XJ, Kopp, JG and AL, TG when he's back. I think it would help build some chemistry and experience with those guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT