ADVERTISEMENT

Race Thompson commits!

Sounds like he is going to enroll in August and red shirt this year.

Can someone explain the thought process behind enrolling early to redshirt? Conventional logic would be to commit for 2018, play the senior year, and not burn a redshirt year.

Good get for you guys though. Congrats.

Can someone explain the thought process behind enrolling early to redshirt? Conventional logic would be to commit for 2018, play the senior year, and not burn a redshirt year.

My thought on that is they might have convinced him he would get more improvement and likely play more in 2018 if he did this. IU has a lot leaving after this year.

Reactions: MrBing

Year of weight training/coaching in college makes perfect sense.

Reactions: MrBing
Dad was a stud RB for the Gophers and a 1st Rd pick of the Packers. I like the blood lines.

Last edited:
Nice 4 year player that will be a glue guy for Archie
Maybe he just wanted to get a jump on the big class that will come next year.
Also, if he overachieves he may play this year and he could be ready if there is an injury.
Any way you look at it he seems to be a solid pick up.

Also, if he overachieves he may play this year and he could be ready if there is an injury.
Yep I agree.

Said he was beat up a bit and wants time to heal/work on his game at a higher level. Really glad we got him. He looks like a solid big ten player. I like him having time to learn the system....

Reactions: jimmygoiu
1) Good. Now the bed-wetters can stop freaking out that Archie hasn't got a commit yet.

2) Odd that he'd reclassify and then red-shirt.

3) So, what do people think of him?
I think it is a very smart decision for his college career. Academically, he can get acclimated to college and just compete in practice without worrying about playing time. A year of training and getting familiar with CAM's system can put him further ahead in 2018 than another year of high school

I think it is a very smart decision for his college career. Academically, he can get acclimated to college and just compete in practice without worrying about playing time. A year of training and getting familiar with CAM's system can put him further ahead in 2018 than another year of high school

So I take it he graduated high school in 3 years?

Totally agree. All the options are positive for both Race and IU. Smart move.

1) Good. Now the bed-wetters can stop freaking out that Archie hasn't got a commit yet.

2) Odd that he'd reclassify and then red-shirt.

3) So, what do people think of him?

My first thought as well. It's only been 3 months and some people were already panicking about not having a recruit. Now they'll probably complain that he's "only" a 4 star and question how good he is if he's gong to redshirt.

So I take it he graduated high school in 3 years?
I read he is finishing up some classes this summer. I remember having almost enough credits to graduate before my senior year. It was common to take classes in the summer to free the school year to take electives and college prep courses you wanted. I skipped my sophomore summer, or I could have graduated early. My senior year was awesome. Glad I didn't.

Solid 4 star forward. Love the idea of redshirting for him. All the reasons others have cited and it never hurts to get a verbal from a guy who is also best friends with 5 star player we are also recruiting.

There are a number of reasons to reclassify. I admit I don't know much about this young man but he had four BIG offers if Rivals is up to date, IU being his biggest offer over all.

I agree he could be a good four year contributor.

My first thought as well. It's only been 3 months and some people were already panicking about not having a recruit. Now they'll probably complain that he's "only" a 4 star and question how good he is if he's gong to redshirt.
I will be honest I did not even know we were in that great of shape with him until last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT