ADVERTISEMENT

Race is returning

Great news. He probably doesn’t have a lot more upside, but his consistency allows Woodson to build around him. Third team all Big Ten.
I think he can become a good perimeter shooter. He showed signs of this late in the season and if he can be a legitimate threat from 3 that’ll really change his game and how opponents approach defending him.

He's got experience..
He's pretty physical...
He's shot is ok...Guess that could improve more..Free throws are shaky too..
But his defense on close outs ..And foot speed to help on rotations..Is very subpar...And I think he's really only about 6" 7...
The pluses probably outweigh the minuses...

He's got experience..
He's pretty physical...
He's shot is ok...Guess that could improve more..Free throws are shaky too..
But his defense on close outs ..And foot speed to help on rotations..Is very subpar...And I think he's really only about 6" 7...
The pluses probably outweigh the minuses...
Probably? Seriously??

Reactions: baileyiu

I was a little off. We were 216th in percentage as I stated, but I WAY overestimated our makes per game rank. We actually were 311th in makes. Embarrassing.
Not as worried about makes if we are scoring a lot inside. And there are a lot of other factors that go into that stat. 3pt% is pretty clear on our ability to hit the shots (not adjusted for comp). TeamRankings has us at 197th for 3%, regardless it isn’t good. Need to up that a couple more points or more next year, and if we can do that while increasing volume, that would give us a much better chance to flip the script on some of those close games we lost this past year.

Not as worried about makes if we are scoring a lot inside. And there are a lot of other factors that go into that stat. 3pt% is pretty clear on our ability to hit the shots (not adjusted for comp). TeamRankings has us at 197th for 3%, regardless it isn’t good. Need to up that a couple more points or more next year, and if we can do that while increasing volume, that would give us a much better chance to flip the script on some of those close games we lost this past year.
We lost our best shooter and didn’t addd any shooters, yet you expect our percentage and volume to go up….

I was a little off. We were 216th in percentage as I stated, but I WAY overestimated our makes per game rank. We actually were 311th in makes. Embarrassing.
Kansas was 205th and 265th. You think we will average 6 more points or 6 points less next season? IU isn’t as far off as some think. Defensively we are there. Offensively we are closer than you think.

Kansas was 205th and 265th. You think we will average 6 more points or 6 points less next season? IU isn’t as far off as some think. Defensively we are there. Offensively we are closer than you think.
Lol we aren’t close to comparable to Kansas offensively. They are Kenpom 6th and we are 94th.

We lost our best shooter and didn’t addd any shooters, yet you expect our percentage and volume to go up….
I expect guys to further improve their shooting. Literally every player who returned from CAMs last team improved their FG%, except for one. No reason that can’t happen and the incoming team members are an unknown. I don’t expect the freshmen to come in and shoots lights out, but we may get a surprise by one or two of them.

In addition, an off-season to work through things and improve the lagging offense could prove very beneficial. None of us know what is going to happen, but we could just as easily be an overall better shooting team. I guess we will find out.

Reactions: bawlmer
Lol we aren’t close to comparable to Kansas offensively. They are Kenpom 6th and we are 94th.
8 points a game separated us. You think that’s a lot? You think maybe we shoot better or worse next year? Are we 4 points better? Oh and I’m not implying we are closer to winning a national title like Kansas. I’m simply saying we are 6-8 points a game from being really good.

Last edited:
You think bringing the whole team back and adding those incoming freshmen ..
Gets Indiana where ?
Gotta have NBA guys in college to really do business...
Both TJD and Race are still in college because they don't have a NBA skill set..
Gets Indiana closer to top of conference . You think adding another 5 star Is going to hurt? You think no one is going to get better. ?

8 points a game separated us. You think that’s a lot? You think maybe we shoot better or worse next year? Are we 4 points better? Oh and I’m not implying we are closer to winning a national title like Kansas. I’m simply saying we are 6-8 points a game from being really good.
88 spots separated us from them in offensive efficiency. Yes, that’s a ton.

Well at least go look at the stats. It might surprise some of you. If you take out the tournament. KU hit ten more 3s. Their forwards were hitting at a 27% clip. They won this championship with defense, offensive efficiency and rebounding. Not shooting a bunch of 3s. They were 35% , we were 34%. They also don’t turn the ball over. This notion you have to be 40 plus from 3 is nonsense. They had no pure shooter either. While Manek for UNC is great they only shot at a 36% clip. IU isn’t that far off.
The " stats" showed IU as the 95th ranked offense in the country in terms of efficiency, Kansas on the other hand was ranked 17th.
We must have different definitions of "not that far off".

Bottom line is we're going to have to make major changes to our offense to even get close to Kansas, assuming our starting lineup is similar.

He's a good player but he's not as great as a lot of IU fans make him out to be, he was also horrible down the stretch.
He had a rough last couple games. But he was our glue guy the majority of the season.

It is important in the portal era to retain players like Race. If TJD returns, I would say we retained who we needed to keep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT