ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from Tom Allen today

Sam_Beishuizen

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2016
Bloomington, Indiana
Tom Allen talked to the media today. Here's some notes...

Talking where they stand eight practices in…
"I feel like our kids are making progress. I love their energy. I love the way they’re raking at the ball. They’re trying to create takeaways, and that’s something that we obviously emphasize. Takeaways, tackling and effort are the cornerstones of our defense, so I feel like we’re making progress in those areas. I didn’t think we tackled the way we needed to today in every situation, so I don’t want any missed tackles. We’re obviously going to work on that every single opportunity we have with pads on and with pads off to be able to get better. I love the kids, the attitude. That’s one thing they completely control as well as the effort piece. I’ve really been pleased with that."

His tackling philosophy…
"We’re a leverage tackle team as well. I think in order to be able to create a game that needs to be played the way that’s best for our players and their safety and their long-term health, I think it’s a critical piece. I believe in that. We’re going to leverage the football, we’re going to keep our head out of that tackle and do a great job of understanding where the ball is and where I’m going to place my leverage. To me, that’s, I think it makes you a better tackler as well as safer for our guys. To me, it’s all about what’s best for them. Fortunately, in this situation I think it helps us as well because I think we’re better in space, which is where the game is played a lot now. So that’s our philosophy."

On going against no-huddle offenses…
"I’ve been, the last seven years, every place I’ve been has been that style of offense. You basically just get used to preparing for that. You install that way. You practice that way. Our whole communication system is built for that. Our check system is built for that. So, actually, we have to adjust when they don’t go no-huddle, when they don’t go fast. That, to me, is different, which is kind of crazy that we’ve come to that point. It used to be you teach the huddle day one. We don’t even get in the huddle ever unless we’re on the sideline talking to them. I think there’s no question it gives us an advantage. I love going against it. It doesn’t make me feel stressed or uncomforted having to prepare for it, but obviously we’ve got to get our kids ready. It’s about how quickly you get the calls in. To me, you get your feet set, you get your eyes right, you play football. When they go fast, those things break down and it gives the offense an advantage. For me, it’s very comfortable for us and definitely the time at Ole Miss and even last year at South Florida we were a no-huddle, tempo offense there as well. So that helps. Obviously you’re going to go against some teams that will slow down a little bit and honk it at you, so we’ve got to do both."

On the linebackers' adjustment…
"If you asked them, which I know you have at times, they really like it. They like the way we set up our keys and reads because I just want them to play fast. Tempo offenses that aren’t huddling, their role increases as linebackers because obviously the game has been put in the hands of the players when we’re not able to be on the field, obviously. There’s no time to communicate as much as we used to be able to communicate so they’ve got to be able to make split-second decisions. To me, getting those guys to play fast and their comfortable in their checks and their keys and their reads is critical. So we’ve got to make it as simple as possible, but at the same time, they’ve got to talk. So that’s been our emphasis is getting them to speak with confidence, speak loudly and be able to run the defense. So I’ve been pleased with them. I think Tegray (Scales) and Marcus (Oliver) and Demeon (Willis) and all those guys, Chris (Covington), Reakwon (Jones). I just feel like there’s been a gradual process for them but I’ve been pleased with their progress."

On Marcelino Ball, who is drawing high praise...
"I spent an hour on the phone with him right before signing day just trying to press and press and get him because weren’t sure what he was going to do or anything. We thought he was a critical piece. He had the skillset from watching him in high school to play the position. It’s obviously true. He brings a confidence. Obviously he’s still young, he makes mistakes, but he has an edge about him. He expects to make plays and he expects to be the guy, so he’s competing. For a guy that just got here, he’s been one that I would say has gotten peoples’ attention. He came with a mindset to come and play."

On having a chip on the defense’s shoulder…
"We talk about there’s three key things that we want to have as our mentality. One of them is having an edge, and we have three set points below that and underneath that is to have a chip on your shoulder and something to prove. Day one, I’ve challenged them about that and I haven’t been afraid to call out the past. I told them, I said I have to own the past because I’m here. So the bottom line is that should motivate us. We should have a chip on our shoulder. We do have something to prove. We want to be the reason in the fourth quarter why we win the game, and we know that hasn’t always been the case. It’s a big motivation for our guys. We’re going to talk about it all the time and I want to make sure they understand how critical that is."

Reactions: ORG
I like him as a coach . . . I feel confident he will improve the defense and then IU will have to fight to keep him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT