ADVERTISEMENT

Quote by Glen Mason

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
This was a cut and paste from the Elkhart Truth articl. "Glen Mason, color commentating for BTN Saturday and possessed of a lengthy Big Ten coaching pedigree, put it this way during the third quarter when the subject of IU’s 0-6 Big Ten record heading into the game arose: “Yeah? Watch the film. This is a vastly improved Indiana football team under Kevin Wilson.” That comes from a man who has broken down a lot of Big Ten film."

Now if this is what he sees then what does the naysayers see when they say that IU is no better now than when CKC took over the program?

Honest question and I would love to read some honest answers from ...... well you know who you are.

Heard him say it. But repeating it here will convince none of the Wilson haters. They made up their minds long ago. Facts, knowledgeable comment are water off a ducks back. But the truth is what Glass knows and he pays no attention to venomous haters. They cant/wont see the obvious.

But Fans dont care. Their eyes and hearts speak more clearly. This is the Best IU team weve seen in decades, and its only going to get better. Go Coach Wilson! Go IU!!

This was a cut and paste from the Elkhart Truth articl. "Glen Mason, color commentating for BTN Saturday and possessed of a lengthy Big Ten coaching pedigree, put it this way during the third quarter when the subject of IU’s 0-6 Big Ten record heading into the game arose: “Yeah? Watch the film. This is a vastly improved Indiana football team under Kevin Wilson.” That comes from a man who has broken down a lot of Big Ten film.

I like Wilson and think he's done a good job. The program is clearly better. Denying that is just dumb.

But you can certainly see the point of the people that say he needs to win more. I think Coach would say the same thing.

I like Wilson and think he's done a good job. The program is clearly better. Denying that is just dumb.

But you can certainly see the point of the people that say he needs to win more. I think Coach would say the same thing.

I cannot contradict in any way. Im sick of losing...decades long sick. No one can possibly be sicker about than i am, and others. But one does not excuse the other. Buck up...pull up your jock strap...back your team through thick and thin. Im ex-Marine...Semper Fi means something. Deserting your team in times of trouble is worse than cowardice...purely self-centered and self-serving. Not talking to you but generically to any one caught up in emotion and anger. Get over it and quit sticking daggers in the program. You can want change but there is a time and place for it. During the season, when recruits are looking at this site, is not that time...period. Its completely possible to critisize without attacking or belittling. Its not what you say...its how you say it. Striking blindly just to hurt is baby stuff. A whole bunch of socalled fans need to just grow up and shape their arguments into something rational...they might like it.

Again, this was not aimed at you Al Bino or Bligedy...yours are good posts.

This was a cut and paste from the Elkhart Truth articl. "Glen Mason, color commentating for BTN Saturday and possessed of a lengthy Big Ten coaching pedigree, put it this way during the third quarter when the subject of IU’s 0-6 Big Ten record heading into the game arose: “Yeah? Watch the film. This is a vastly improved Indiana football team under Kevin Wilson.” That comes from a man who has broken down a lot of Big Ten film."

Now if this is what he sees then what does the naysayers see when they say that IU is no better now than when CKC took over the program?

Honest question and I would love to read some honest answers from ...... well you know who you are.

I agree that we are better and I view that in terms of how we seem to play teams more straight up. One thing I would say though is that I rarely take what coaches say as fact and that's purely because I think they give a lot of lip service. For example, when was the last time you heard an announcer say, "This coach has no clue what he is doing and is in over his head". They protect each other and don't want to pile on. Mason would probably see progress in Hazell at Purdue or spin that forward. I think we are better, but I would take what Mason says with a grain of salt to an extent.

If you want to be slightly obtuse, and just look at the W/L record, and the last place ranked passing defense (that has killed us)...then you have a "case".

Otherwise, we've really only had one "bad" stretch this season.....the 4th Quarter versus Rutgers. Everything else has been pretty solid, IMO.

If you want to be slightly obtuse, and just look at the W/L record, and the last place ranked passing defense (that has killed us)...then you have a "case".

Otherwise, we've really only had one "bad" stretch this season.....the 4th Quarter versus Rutgers. Everything else has been pretty solid, IMO.
Been doing a lot of thinking (and complaining) about our defense....particularly our pass defense. Just wondering, but is this team 8-4 with a top 60 defense? Is this team 10-2 with a top 30 defense?

Reactions: IUHartselCol
Been doing a lot of thinking (and complaining) about our defense....particularly our pass defense. Just wondering, but is this team 8-4 with a top 60 defense? Is this team 10-2 with a top 30 defense?
I'd have to say yes after our stellar offensive performances against top 10 teams.

I cannot contradict in any way. Im sick of losing...decades long sick. No one can possibly be sicker about than i am, and others. But one does not excuse the other. Buck up...pull up your jock strap...back your team through thick and thin. Im ex-Marine...Semper Fi means something. Deserting your team in times of trouble is worse than cowardice...purely self-centered and self-serving. Not talking to you but generically to any one caught up in emotion and anger. Get over it and quit sticking daggers in the program. You can want change but there is a time and place for it. During the season, when recruits are looking at this site, is not that time...period. Its completely possible to critisize without attacking or belittling. Its not what you say...its how you say it. Striking blindly just to hurt is baby stuff. A whole bunch of socalled fans need to just grow up and shape their arguments into something rational...they might like it.

Again, this was not aimed at you Al Bino or Bligedy...yours are good posts.
Maybe you should follow your own advice.

It's time to stop talking improvement. As CKW pointed to, he showed the team film of "good teams" intermixed with tape of IU highlights. We do many of the things good teams do. Now, go do it. The opportunity is in front of them this Saturday where the rubber meets the road. No more talk. Just do it.

It's time to stop talking improvement. As CKW pointed to, he showed the team film of "good teams" intermixed with tape of IU highlights. We do many of the things good teams do. Now, go do it. The opportunity is in front of them this Saturday where the rubber meets the road. No more talk. Just do it.
Thats a dumb request Red...really dumb. Just because its clear youve been wrong now you want to silence the only real evidence, indisputable evidence, of program improvement.

Wow...no way, no chance. After all the hurt you guys perpetuated on us, let me rub salt in you self inflicted wounds. Vbg...

Lol . . . keep pimping that agenda, BRCB . . . .

Thats a dumb request Red...really dumb. Just because its clear youve been wrong now you want to silence the only real evidence, indisputable evidence, of program improvement.

Wow...no way, no chance. After all the hurt you guys perpetuated on us, let me rub salt in you self inflicted wounds. Vbg...
"All the hurt . . .". Too, too funny.

Pu-lease......
Dial it down drama queens.
I'm wanting to go somewhere to watch football over the holidays. Will they blow it?
Now, they've got it right in front of them. A totally winnable game to boot!
Will they grab destiny and prove us naysayers wrong?

Pu-lease......
Dial it down drama queens.
I'm wanting to go somewhere to watch football over the holidays. Will they blow it?
Now, they've got it right in front of them. A totally winnable game to boot!
Will they grab destiny and prove us naysayers wrong?

After an entire season of calling for the HC to be fired, you post this:

And you then come here and call folks who respond drama queens?

Maybe it's time for you to take a step back from the keyboard and give it a rest, Buff. First rule of holes and all that . . . .

Reactions: IUHartselCol

Mason also made a comment that he thought Maryland's defense would play better. I guess IU's offense didn't have anything to do with that! Or the ground yardage against Michigan and Iowa.

After an entire season of calling for the HC to be fired, you post this:

And you then come here and call folks who respond drama queens?

Maybe it's time for you to take a step back from the keyboard and give it a rest, Buff. First rule of holes and all that . . . .

The bottom line is this: we have debated all season long this notion of improvement. Many of us have lamented that the defense has only showed flashes but no real indication of appeciable improvement there. Any IU fan knows that the defense is the key to getting over the hump. Always has been.

Arguably, this defensive "improvement" was masked by the fact we had 5 of 6 games against highly ranked teams. So, I was willing to give you all the benefit of the doubt.
My point is this: 2 games against teams we should beat. We are 1-0 on the new season. If this improvement and maturity is there in Season #5, we win the last one and go bowling. If we choke in historic fashion, I don't know if the body of work speaks for your argument.

I am critical of the team when it's warranted. This past Saturday was really not one of them. Started out horribly, regained composure and then stomped on them.

I said it in earlier post as well. If Wilson is able to rally the troops and get two wins here in winnable games, tells me he's got their heads in the right place.
And, i've always said that I will be the first in line to buy tickets and airfare for that bowl game should it come.

Fans can be critical. And I place my money where my mouth is and support them through attendance.

The bottom line is this: we have debated all season long this notion of improvement. Many of us have lamented that the defense has only showed flashes but no real indication of appeciable improvement there. Any IU fan knows that the defense is the key to getting over the hump. Always has been.

Arguably, this defensive "improvement" was masked by the fact we had 5 of 6 games against highly ranked teams. So, I was willing to give you all the benefit of the doubt.
My point is this: 2 games against teams we should beat. We are 1-0 on the new season. If this improvement and maturity is there in Season #5, we win the last one and go bowling. If we choke in historic fashion, I don't know if the body of work speaks for your argument.

I am critical of the team when it's warranted. This past Saturday was really not one of them. Started out horribly, regained composure and then stomped on them.

I said it in earlier post as well. If Wilson is able to rally the troops and get two wins here in winnable games, tells me he's got their heads in the right place.
And, i've always said that I will be the first in line to buy tickets and airfare for that bowl game should it come.

Fans can be critical. And I place my money where my mouth is and support them through attendance.

Nah, you got personal with folks here who disagreed with you; you called posters who supported Wilson in response to your unwarranted attacks "drama queens".

As far as "giving" the rest of us the benefit of the doubt, you don't "give" me or anybody else here anything; you have burned through any good will and credibility that you might have had at one time, and it's going to take a helluva long time for you to build some of that good will/credibility back.

So pound sand, Buff. If you do get tickets to a bowl game this year, I sure as hell hope you're not sitting in the same section I'm sitting in; I want to have a good time, not listen to a loudmouthed, negative jerk who is under an erroneous impression that he represents a "bottom line" standard that IU football should aspire to.

Meh.

Last edited:

The problem is you keep putting in caveats and disclaimers. Win or lose at PU...win or lose... Wilson has already proven the program is on the rise. We dont need a win to prove that. The entire season has proven it. Truth is PU has a good chance against us as both their QBs can throw. That is our Achilles Heel this season for reasons stated ad nauseam. As beat up as this team is, a win Saturday wont come easy. But a loss changes absolutely nothing, and hearing you'll jump on the fan bus when its effortless means even less. If your a fan, you support your team through thick and thin. When their down is when they need you the most.

If IU beats PU you'll just be one more fair weather fan grabbing on for a ride you didnt pay for...

So you are a truthbringer? You have been consistently wrong every week in your predictions that we were going to get rolled by this team or that team with never any admission of being wrong and continuing on with this we will not win another game crap.

The problem is you keep putting in caveats and disclaimers. Win or lose at PU...win or lose... Wilson has already proven the program is on the rise. We dont need a win to prove that. The entire season has proven it. Truth is PU has a good chance against us as both their QBs can throw. That is our Achilles Heel this season for reasons stated ad nauseam. As beat up as this team is, a win Saturday wont come easy. But a loss changes absolutely nothing, and hearing you'll jump on the fan bus when its effortless means even less. If your a fan, you support your team through thick and thin. When their down is when they need you the most.

If IU beats PU you'll just be one more fair weather fan grabbing on for a ride you didnt pay for...
Congratulations on preparing your excuse well in advance of the game. Regardless of the outcome, you've covered yourself nicely.

Critical? Ok. Obnoxious, going to the PU board and being obnoxious there, and completely making things up? That's why people get on you.

Nah, you got personal with folks here who disagreed with you; you called posters who supported Wilson in response to your unwarranted attacks "drama queens".

As far as "giving" the rest of us the benefit of the doubt, you don't "give" me or anybody else here anything; you have burned through any good will and credibility that you might have had at one time, and it's going to take a helluva long time for you to build some of that good will/credibility back.

So pound sand, Buff. If you do get tickets to a bowl game this year, I sure as hell hope you're not sitting in the same section I'm sitting in; I want to have a good time, not listen to a loudmouthed, negative jerk who is under an erroneous impression that he represents a "bottom line" standard that IU football should aspire to.

Meh.

I did not personally attack Wilson. I criticized his coaching. Learn the difference.
Labeling your responses by calling you "drama queens" was appropriate. You guys get so bent out of shape with anything that is a critique of the coach.
For what it's worth, I hope like Hell that Wilson wins the last game so he can prove that he motivated these guys and it backs up what several have pointed to.
You win the ones you are supposed to if you have improved. We're 1-0. Getting that 2-0 mark will add a lot of credence to your argument. Losing against Rutgers really hurt that stance. Recovery against Maryland and Purdue erases that as a mere fluke.
You lose to Purdue and folks on the fence will be calling it a choke with everything on the line.
The folks that we need to gain are the ones that are looking for positive mojo at season's end with a bowl. You don't need to worry about those of us who give a damn to at least take an interest.

I did not personally attack Wilson. I criticized his coaching. Learn the difference.
Labeling your responses by calling you "drama queens" was appropriate. You guys get so bent out of shape with anything that is a critique of the coach.
For what it's worth, I hope like Hell that Wilson wins the last game so he can prove that he motivated these guys and it backs up what several have pointed to.
You win the ones you are supposed to if you have improved. We're 1-0. Getting that 2-0 mark will add a lot of credence to your argument. Losing against Rutgers really hurt that stance. Recovery against Maryland and Purdue erases that as a mere fluke.
You lose to Purdue and folks on the fence will be calling it a choke with everything on the line.
The folks that we need to gain are the ones that are looking for positive mojo at season's end with a bowl. You don't need to worry about those of us who give a damn to at least take an interest.

Just go away. You're worthless.

Just go away. You're worthless.

Worthless?
You cannot hold a legitimate debate or entertain an opposing view without vile name calling. Pitiful.

In your own words: "Go pound sand!"

For the record: I am hoping Wilson wins this weekend. I want to see the program gain some momentum at a crucial time.

What happens next year when we don't have a QB?

I am pretty sure we aren't the first team that has to replace a starting quarterback. Heard the same thing last year with Coleman, and we found a RB.
Do we have another Jordan Howard coming in at the QB position? First I've heard this.

Big Red just wants IU to be more than just a bball school. He's passionate about iu football or he sure wouldn't be here everyday.

He's got his opinions and the losing was very tough to stomach. Give the guy a break, IU football needs passionate fans like BRCB.

Big Red just wants IU to be more than just a bball school. He's passionate about iu football or he sure wouldn't be here everyday.

He's got his opinions and the losing was very tough to stomach. Give the guy a break, IU football needs passionate fans like BRCB.

Damn straight!
I want to get into that select company with Michigan State or Wisconsin in our own conference where it ain't a crime to be good in both sports.

One of the most memorable years as an IU fan was 1987. We won the National Championship in basketball and followed it up in the fall by playing Michigan State for the Rose Bowl representative. Some schools actually get to experience it more than 1x every 100 years. I'd like to experience it a few times before they put me in a pine box.

For now, I'll take a Fosters Farm bowl and a sweet sixteen appearance to tide me over this season.

Worthless?
You cannot hold a legitimate debate or entertain an opposing view without vile name calling. Pitiful.

In your own words: "Go pound sand!"

For the record: I am hoping Wilson wins this weekend. I want to see the program gain some momentum at a crucial time.
Vile name calling? Now who is being the drama queen?

IU Basketball needs to get serious real quick too. I don't think it is seen as a "national" program or relevant program anymore, like it was when Bobby was here. Boy, wouldn't it be nice to say that about IU football?

The program is in a better place than what he started with, but we have not made the jump I had hoped for. Changing coaches at this point isn't going to make us better with the level of coaches willing to come to IU. If we get a good juco QB and return Howard, Redding, and our improving receivers, we will be able to maintain our offensive production. The defense will remain an issue. I think we may need to bring in coaches for the DB's and continue to recruit better to make any big improvements.

We are close, but we have some structural improvements in the staff and personnel.

The program is in a better place than what he started with, but we have not made the jump I had hoped for. Changing coaches at this point isn't going to make us better with the level of coaches willing to come to IU. If we get a good juco QB and return Howard, Redding, and our improving receivers, we will be able to maintain our offensive production. The defense will remain an issue. I think we may need to bring in coaches for the DB's and continue to recruit better to make any big improvements.

We are close, but we have some structural improvements in the staff and personnel.

If Wilson wins the Bucket, that solidifies things going forward.
We've already got a men's coaching change coming up in April.

There is no if, win or lose at PU. Improvement is crystal clear, for those without clouded vision.

IU seems improved in specific, select spots. Difficult, however, to make blanket statement that our defense has improved. There is only data, hard numbers available to both camps in this argument.
That data doesn't prove in any way that we are improved. It's pretty simple, really: if the numbers are better than the prior season, one can make a valid argument for improvement.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT