ADVERTISEMENT

Question for HVAC pros

Jan 4, 2020
My HVAC guy has been advertising an iWave home air purification system. Was just curious if anyone has any experience with this system? Worthwhile investment or just something to peddle given the current times?

Thanks for the feedback!

My HVAC guy has been advertising an iWave home air purification system. Was just curious if anyone has any experience with this system? Worthwhile investment or just something to peddle given the current times?

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm not an HVAC pro . . . far from it. That said, every HVAC tech I've talked to - and I've talked to a lot over the last 9 months in preparation for a crawl space overhaul that we completed in March - has recommended the Aprilaire 5000 whole house air purification system. https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-house-products/air-purifiers/model-5000

I also have a quote for it for about $1450 installed after a 5% discount.

Never heard of the iWave. No idea whether it works.

I've also seen HVAC guys tout UV lights to kill pathogens and get rid of odors . . . other HVAC guys talk about them as if they're hucksters. I have no idea what else to say, other than to a man they all recommended the Aprilaire 5000.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sobchak_Security

Thanks for the feedback!

Right out of college I sold air filters; really expensive commercial ones, all the way up to HEPA filters. Electrostatic and ionization type filters were around then and this looks like the 2020 version of that. The rap on them then was they worked... for about a week. Plus, I'm leary of any johnny come lately product that starts marketing for the current crisis, but the ads sound compelling. The device costs $500 and can be installed on your own. From the sounds of it, I don't think install should be more than about $200, so he shouldn't be charging you more than $900 installed (includes some markup on the device for the contractor), which seems reasonable if it gives you peace of mind or you have extenuating health concerns. Personally, I'm not worried about it. I think the likelihood of catching coronavirus or any virus from particles/microbes floating in the air that is coming out of a filtered HVAC system is highly unlikely, and my guess is this device will crap out in the not too distant future and you'll never know and you'll be breathing the same air you were before. I'd definitely check references and ask about a warranty, etc.... and also ask if he has any way to check that it's working. Maybe ask him to throw in the first year PM check to insure it's still effective if he does.

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback!

I know nothing about HVAC. But the gf is a pro at it and has designed and built a few modules in her career.

archer-modular-rigs-10-638.jpg

N4VIdn3-m4Sjqnbekqkfo9rVAkukLg54R10OgtMEKta60liKqjYOPJN3dnNaWgRNb5f5nnJJQ3c-EngeWFbEOIDIvP6iyQ9CsM3UgFEL_3M60Ori-g

I will ask her.

I know nothing about HVAC. But the gf is a pro at it and has designed and built a few modules in her career.

archer-modular-rigs-10-638.jpg

N4VIdn3-m4Sjqnbekqkfo9rVAkukLg54R10OgtMEKta60liKqjYOPJN3dnNaWgRNb5f5nnJJQ3c-EngeWFbEOIDIvP6iyQ9CsM3UgFEL_3M60Ori-g

I will ask her.

So she builds with pipes and blows them too? I tried to tell these heathens, smarts and success are sexy. Good girl!

So she builds with pipes and blows them too? I tried to tell these heathens, smarts and success are sexy. Good girl!

Why do you think I can take my life so easy? I get the wench to work hard for me. She can do the heavy lifting. The only blisters I expect to get in life is from the weights machines.

giphy.gif

She has to be pulling in at least 10hrs if not 12hrs per day in virtual meetings -- and probably 4-6 on a Saturday. This is despite working from home!!

The moment she gets mobilised up to China for the project, she will do easily 60hrs a week. I will fly in for a weekend every quarter, when everything goes back to normal to add my empathy and moral support.

Thanks for the feedback!
I am an HVAC engineer. I've specified one for an apartment clubhouse. Personally, I would say that if you have allergy issues (ie, more than one member of your family has seasonal allergies to pollen or grasses) or stinky pets, then yeah, it might be worth it. They can reduce odors and smells in a house significantly. If you are doing it because you are worried about bacteria / viruses, then I would say pass. They WILL pull out almost all of the viruses / bacteria in the air, but it isn't exactly a worry-inducing amount to begin with.

I am an HVAC engineer. I've specified one for an apartment clubhouse. Personally, I would say that if you have allergy issues (ie, more than one member of your family has seasonal allergies to pollen or grasses) or stinky pets, then yeah, it might be worth it. They can reduce odors and smells in a house significantly. If you are doing it because you are worried about bacteria / viruses, then I would say pass. They WILL pull out almost all of the viruses / bacteria in the air, but it isn't exactly a worry-inducing amount to begin with.
We have a cat that occasionally pisses outside the litter box and my youngest I suspect has allergies. We haven’t gotten him tested yet, but he sneezes/snots a lot. Hell maybe he’s allergic to the cat? But I didn’t know if any of these products that are out there would help with either situation.

Which would you recommend by the way??

We have a cat that occasionally pisses outside the litter box and my youngest I suspect has allergies. We haven’t gotten him tested yet, but he sneezes/snots a lot. Hell maybe he’s allergic to the cat? But I didn’t know if any of these products that are out there would help with either situation.
As I said, they are better for pulling odors out of the air than anything. I would not recommend using this kind of system to alleviate a child's allergy issue to an animal. They are better for pulling pollen out of the air because the air that enters your house through doors / windows has small particles of pollen that can travel farther distances and can be pulled into your HVAC system return air grilles. Depending on the size of the house and how open it is, you probably have about 3 to 7 return grilles scattered throughout the house. With pets, the dander that they are spreading does have an airborne component, but the little bastards also drop it on every surface they touch. The air purifiers wont pick up that dander because it is already sticking to the surfaces. So unless your cat spends 90% of the time sitting in front of a return grille or you go around constantly beating all the surfaces of your couch / floor where the cat has been, you're not going to alleviate the problem enough to get your son to stop dribbling snot (if he is indeed, allergic).
Now, if you want to put in the system and put the litter box right next to a return grille, that would work well and the filter system would pull those odors out fairly well, even if the cat sometime misses right in front of it.

The other option is: there are portable, smaller units available. If you have a particular area that you are worried about, you can buy over-the-counter plug-in versions that are probably just as effective for the zones you wish to cover and would probably be significantly cheaper. Something else to keep in mind is that the whole-house system are only working when your furnace / air conditioner is running. While some people do like to keep their fan running 24/7, that can be an additional cost in the electrical bill that you weren't expecting.

Which would you recommend by the way??
Hard to say. The system I installed / specified was a Trane system that was a multi-tiered system that used HEPA filters, UV light, and an ionizer system. I thought it was major overkill, but I think the owners were worried about smells coming from the clubhouse kitchen (it was a retirement community apartment complex clubhouse, so half of the clubhouse was a full kitchen that was serving meals twice a day). Never heard any complaints in the 2 years it's been running. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the overall cost was.

I have never heard of the iWave system, but I have heard of Aprilaire, if that helps any.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT