ADVERTISEMENT

Question for coaches

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
What drills or practices do you run to reduce turnovers or improve passing? What do they look like?

Thanks.

But what are the drills? You didn't answer the question either. Do you know?
Not specifically because I am not a coach but if you turn the ball over in practice you run the stairs. I would set a limit of what would be acceptable to turn the ball over in a game and how every many over that amount you run that many lapse in practice.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
But what are the drills? You didn't answer the question either. Do you know?
There are a multitude of drills you can do to emphasize soundness with the ball but it's much more about the conditions you set for the drill. Over the years what I have found to be the most successful is to create games of only a few possession (first team to 3 baskets for example) which put a premium on not turning the ball over. The loser has extra conditioning or some other unpleasant outcome.

I especially liked to use drills that took the dribble away from the offense. That puts an emphasis on passing as well as playing off of stops, on balance, and in a stance. Turnovers are typically directly attributable to being up, running when you should be sliding your feet, leaving your feet when you should be "stopping and dropping", and not playing from a "threat" position.

Younger players are often prone to turnovers because they lack fundamental skills ( can't use their weak hand, etc.) . At the D-1 level it's almost always playing too fast, playing off balance, or failing to play off stops. Crean's teams are horrible about these things which leads me to believe that they just aren't stressed in practice. When you emphasize transition basketball you are going to turn the ball over some, that's inevitable. But the turnovers in clusters and at terrible times are the result of playing without thought and regard to score and clock.

In the college game, turnovers also result from getting too deep in the shot clock without a clear idea of what you need to do with the ball. This is another consistent flaw in the IU teams of the last 9 years.

Reactions: BB Hoosier
Lots of entry passing drills. Working from the wing.

Emphasize catching and throwing with two hands. Usually involves stopping scrimmage for pushups when a lazy catch or pass is made. RJ and JBJ both like to catch and throw 1 handed but it causes bobbles and inability to pass fake which lets defense anticipate more.

Emphasize meeting the pass. Practice it.

Catch ball in triple threat position so defense is on their heels and use pump fakes.

Coach Crean, is that you?
This isn't what was asked either, gonna report it OP? If you have been a long time IU fan, what I posted was a tongue in cheek statement that RMK made about motivating his players..

francis_zps62cq8raj.jpg.html

This isn't what was asked either, gonna report it OP? If you have been a long time IU fan, what I posted was a tongue in cheek statement that RMK made about motivating his players..

francis_zps62cq8raj.jpg.html
I ran a lot of 5 on 5 No dribbles. Work on moving, cutting, reading defenders. Post entries with pressure on the ball. Do a drill where 5 offensive players vs 8 defenders. Half court. No dribble. Play for 60 seconds. Sprint for every turnover

What drills or practices do you run to reduce turnovers or improve passing? What do they look like?

Thanks.

Well, I'm not a coach at the college level, but with young kids, I have them play 4-square with bounce passes. I have them get a wide stance and bend their knees and show me their "W" with their hands. Then I blow the whistle. A dropped pass = out. If they throw the ball at their feet = passer is out. The "king" gets to pick the next drill. It works. You'd be surprised at the form kids show when they have a chance to be "king".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT