ADVERTISEMENT

Question about this PU fiasco...

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Is it more beneficial for a program to make it to a bowl and get publicly spanked (PU) or just to stay home altogether (IU)? How is recruiting affected by this?

My thoughts exactly... better to miss the game then get blasted 63-7, midway through the third quarter. I wonder if UofL is letting out a sigh of relief.

Reactions: 76-1
Is it more beneficial for a program to make it to a bowl and get publicly spanked (PU) or just to stay home altogether (IU)? How is recruiting affected by this?
Since there are 20 to many bowls just going to one is not that big of a deal if it is not one of the better bowls.

You have to understand that not that many people see these games. To me, these bowls are about a reward for the seniors, extra practice and a fun trip for the fans. IU should have been there, they blew it.
Well, maybe. But it sure seems like coaches always preach about we've been in this bowl game or that bowl game. If a recruit (think WR from WC) says, "yeah, I saw that game" - is it really a plus?

Well, maybe. But it sure seems like coaches always preach about we've been in this bowl game or that bowl game. If a recruit (think WR from WC) says, "yeah, I saw that game" - is it really a plus?

All in all I would rather have been in Nashville with a ton of IU fans at the bars.

Reactions: DANC
Since there are 20 to many bowls just going to one is not that big of a deal if it is not one of the better bowls.

I agree. Cut the bowls back to 15, like in the old days and also get the NCAA basketball tourney back to 32, when it really meant something. 60+ teams is too saturated for basketball. Everybody gets in.

I agree. Cut the bowls back to 15, like in the old days and also get the NCAA basketball tourney back to 32, when it really meant something. 60+ teams is too saturated for basketball. Everybody gets in.
Except for the 287 who don't.

I take that back. If it were back to 32 teams, IU probably wouldn’t make it in that field of 32 most years. We need 64 teams.
32 would mean the auto bids would go away, so IU would be just fine. Your original point was dumb. Not everyone gets in. It's not even 20%. I point that out, since you're apparently working with a UK degree in mathematics.

Reactions: mk23
Agree about football but 64 is the perfect number for the NCAA Tournament because no one gets a bye. I don't think it is a coinensedence that the popularity of the tournament really switched when they expanded the tournament to 64 teams in 85

32 would mean the auto bids would go away, so IU would be just fine. Your original point was dumb. Not everyone gets in. It's not even 20%. I point that out, since you're apparently working with a UK degree in mathematics.
Well when it use to be 32 teams it was all automatic bids and no at large bids because you had to win the conference to get into the tournament

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Well when it use to be 32 teams it was all automatic bids and no at large bids because you had to win the conference to get into the tournament
You're exactly correct, don't know what I was thinking. Shouldn't let some posters get under my skin, I suppose.

I dont think a blowout loss like Puke suffered will reflect on their recruiting at all. They're basically finished with this class and for next years class it will be a fading memory.

I dont think a blowout loss like Puke suffered will reflect on their recruiting at all. They're basically finished with this class and for next years class it will be a fading memory.
The Purdue football program has to live with the stench of this nationally televised shitshow for a long time. It's not like they can tee it up next Saturday and forget about it. The memory won't fade for quite a while. And if I'm a recruit with Purdue on my radar, yesterday's debacle would prompt me to look more closely - - at other schools.

The Purdue football program has to live with the stench of this nationally televised shitshow for a long time. It's not like they can tee it up next Saturday and forget about it. The memory won't fade for quite a while. And if I'm a recruit with Purdue on my radar, yesterday's debacle would prompt me to look more closely - - at other schools.

And their quarterback is graduating. Meanwhile IU returns a starter with about 17 games under his belt and who will be pushed by two 4-star freshman.

After the Auburn disaster will Purdue have to shell out even more money to Brohm so they can be more competitive?

Reactions: td75
So do you think the Purdue flop yesterday could be so damaging that David Bell might opt for Ohio State or Penn State? That would be a hard kick to the crotch on top of what Auburn did to them.

where have you been?

Ridiculous!! Since IU getting to a bowl game the last 2 years was contingent on beating our rival, would much rather have Bucket wins, followed by blow out losses in bowl games. While okay with yesterday's results for our rival, would have much rather beaten them and taken our chances in any bowl game with all the other perks (more practice time, reward for the players, etc) that come with it.

And their quarterback is graduating. Meanwhile IU returns a starter with about 17 games under his belt and who will be pushed by two 4-star freshman.

After the Auburn disaster will Purdue have to shell out even more money to Brohm so they can be more competitive?

Will be interesting to see the Brohm offense next year. He will have a whole host of very young, inexperienced core. Both RBs are gone. Blough. Gone. Zico -gone. They return McCann only on the OL and he had his leg snapped in two yesterday. They return 2 of 10 starters on offense. Now, every Boiler will say that they have better talent coming in.....on paper. It’s not “college tested.”

Reactions: DANC
Make a bowl 1000 times out of 1000. If nothing else they got an extra month of practice and development.

Agree about football but 64 is the perfect number for the NCAA Tournament because no one gets a bye. I don't think it is a coinensedence that the popularity of the tournament really switched when they expanded the tournament to 64 teams in 85

Everything exploded in 1980 due to the rise of ESPN and its acquiring the rights to televise the men’s tournament. I believe that it was also ESPN that coined the “March Madness” term. ESPN promoted the hell out of that tourney. It wasn’t so much the number of teams.

You have to understand that not that many people see these games. To me, these bowls are about a reward for the seniors, extra practice and a fun trip for the fans. IU should have been there, they blew it.
They may not see the games, but they sure see the scores.

A 2 or 3 TD difference, you can kind of understand. This was different.

Reactions: 76-1
Except us.

If you look at the ratings there are about 10 times the amount of eye balls on a bowl game, give or take, than a regular season game. I would argue making a bowl in today’s TV market does indeed matter for recognition purposes. No idea how a program loss in Purdoodoo’s case would equalize that publicity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT