Quarterbacks Preview

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
mp2.jpg

Photo by Walt Sterneman

Daddy Hoosier | October 16, 2020

It's no secret that great quarterback play can elevate a football team faster than anything else. And the Hoosiers have one of the best young QBs in the country in Sophomore Michael Penix Jr (#9).

Penix wowed Indiana fans in 2019 with obvious arm talent and unusual composure and maturity for a redshirt Freshman. He completed .688 of his passes and threw for 232.3 yards per game and 10 touchdowns in six appearances.

The extra zip on his throws gets the ball out to the perimeter a split second faster, giving the receiver extra time to read and react to defenders. That split second may seem inconsequential but can be the difference between 3 yards and 17 yards (or taking it to the house). And with a 'flick of the wrist' he can toss the ball 60-70 yards downfield, seemingly effortlessly - allowing speedsters at wideout the opportunity to take the top off a defense.

Penix completed an amazing 20 straight passes at Michigan State last year so there is a rare combination of arm-strength and accuracy. Remember that it's possible to throw a completion that is not terribly accurate. A receiver can bail the quarterback out with a great catch or by making an adjustment to the ball in the air. That said, according to PFF Penix threw the highest percentage of accurate passes of all Big Ten Quarterbacks in 2019. He also made great decisions under duress by quickly identifying pressure and getting the ball out, consistently making the right read. He also took care of the ball and rarely tried to force something that wasn't there.

Penix did struggle with injuries which caused him to miss the second half of of the season (shoulder). The Sophomore from Tampa, FL comes into 2020 visibly bigger and stronger and if he can say healthy a lot of pundits believe Indiana and hang with the upper tier of Big Ten competition.

The talented QB is more than capable of hurting defenses with his feet as well, though last year under the departed Offensive Quarterback Kalen DeBoer it was clearly a pass first mentality. (Penix had 22 rushes for 119 yards and 2 TDs last season.) The IUFB believes Penix's use as a runner in 2020 should be somewhat limited and that when he does run he should take what he can get and then slide or get out of bounds. This live to fight another day mentality will help the Hoosiers in terms of the big picture.

Penix threw for a career high 326 yards vs Ball State in his first career start and had back to back 3 TD games at Michigan State and vs Rutgers. He also accounted for 12 total TDs in just 6 games.

Penix has been named to the 2020 Maxwell Award Watch List (best all-around player).

Sophomore Jack Tuttle (#14) is the front-runner to back-up Penix in 2020. Tuttle is a California kid who transferred from Utah in 2019. In limited action last year he was 6 of 11 of 34 yards. He also rushed the ball 5 times for 20 yards. He earned a 4 star rating by both Rivals and 247Sports as a recruit and was ranked in the Top 5 nationally as a pro style QB by both.

True Freshman Dexter Williams II (#5) was All State in Georgia and was named Middle Georgia Player of the Year by The Macon Telegraph. As a Senior threw for 1,524 yards and 15 touchdowns and rushed for 984 yards and 14 TDs. That's a combined 2,508 yards and 29 touchdowns. During his Junior and Senior seasons he combined for 5,088 total yards and 61 TDs and was ranked the 21st dual-threat quarterback in the country by 247Sports. Williams participated in the 2020 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl and enrolled in the Spring so that he could participate in practice.

Redshirt Freshman Zach Merrill (#15) was All State at Hobart High School in 2018.

Freshman Grant Gremel (#16) was a walk-on in 2019 and played for Noblesville where he also lettered in basketball.

Freshman Will Jontz (#25) hails from Brighton, MI where he lettered in football three times. He also lettered in basketball and track and field.

Coach
Nick Sheridan
is the Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach for the Hoosiers. In 2017 Sheridan was named one of the top 30 coaches under 30 by 247Sports. He has tutored the likes of Peyton Hendershot, Peyton Ramsey, Richard Lagow and Joshua Dobbs (Tennessee). He was also chosen to follow Willie Taggart from Western Kentucky to South Florida in 2013.
  • Tight Ends, Indiana 2019
  • Quarterbacks, Indiana 2017-18
  • Graduate Assistant, Tennessee 2014-2016
  • Passing Game Coordinator / Quarterbacks, South Florida 2013
  • Passing Game Coordinator / Quarterbacks, Western Kentucky 2012
  • Graduate Assistant, Western Kentucky 2011
  • Quarterbacks, Saline HS (Alma Mater) 2010
Sheridan was a walk-on quarterback at Michigan in 2006 where he eventually earned a scholarship and started four games. He threw for 701 yards and two TDs in 12 career appearances.

Originally published here:

Last edited:
Is true frosh Williams, the qb from GA, still around? If so, I hope he can Redshirt, but I don't see him mentioned here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
mp2.jpg

Photo by Walt Sterneman

Daddy Hoosier | October 16, 2020

It's no secret that great quarterback play can elevate a football team faster than anything else. And the Hoosiers have one of the best young QBs in the country in Sophomore Michael Penix Jr (#9).

Penix wowed Indiana fans in 2019 with obvious arm talent and unusual composure and maturity for a redshirt Freshman. He completed .688 of his passes and threw for 232.3 yards per game and 10 touchdowns in six appearances.

The extra zip on his throws gets the ball out to the perimeter a split second faster, giving the receiver extra time to read and react to defenders. That split second may seem inconsequential but can be the difference between 3 yards and 17 yards (or taking it to the house). And with a 'flick of the wrist' he can toss the ball 60-70 yards downfield, seemingly effortlessly - allowing speedsters at wideout the opportunity to take the top off a defense.

Penix completed an amazing 20 straight passes at Michigan State last year so there is a rare combination of arm-strength and accuracy. Remember that it's possible to throw a completion that is not terribly accurate. A receiver can bail the quarterback out with a great catch or by making an adjustment to the ball in the air. That said, according to PFF Penix threw the highest percentage of accurate passes of all Big Ten Quarterbacks in 2019. He also made great decisions under duress by quickly identifying pressure and getting the ball out, consistently making the right read. He also took care of the ball and rarely tried to force something that wasn't there.

Penix did struggle with injuries which caused him to miss the second half of of the season (shoulder). The Sophomore from Tampa, FL comes into 2020 visibly bigger and stronger and if he can say healthy a lot of pundits believe Indiana and hang with the upper tier of Big Ten competition.

The talented QB is more than capable of hurting defenses with his feet as well, though last year under the departed Offensive Quarterback Kalen DeBoer it was clearly a pass first mentality. (Penix had 22 rushes for 119 yards and 2 TDs last season.) The IUFB believes Penix's use as a runner in 2020 should be somewhat limited and that when he does run he should take what he can get and then slide or get out of bounds. This live to fight another day mentality will help the Hoosiers in terms of the big picture.

Penix threw for a career high 326 yards vs Ball State in his first career start and had back to back 3 TD games at Michigan State and vs Rutgers. He also accounted for 12 total TDs in just 6 games.

Penix has been named to the 2020 Maxwell Award Watch List (best all-around player).

Sophomore Jack Tuttle (#14) is the front-runner to back-up Penix in 2020. Tuttle is a California kid who transferred from Utah in 2019. In limited action last year he was 6 of 11 of 34 yards. He also rushed the ball 5 times for 20 yards. He earned a 4 star rating by both Rivals and 247Sports as a recruit and was ranked in the Top 5 nationally as a pro style QB by both.

True Freshman Dexter Williams II (#5) was All State in Georgia and was named Middle Georgia Player of the Year by The Macon Telegraph. As a Senior threw for 1,524 yards and 15 touchdowns and rushed for 984 yards and 14 TDs. That's a combined 2,508 yards and 29 touchdowns. During his Junior and Senior seasons he combined for 5,088 total yards and 61 TDs and was ranked the 21st dual-threat quarterback in the country by 247Sports. Williams participated in the 2020 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl and enrolled in the Spring so that he could participate in practice.

Redshirt Freshman Zach Merrill (#15) was All State at Hobart High School in 2018.

Freshman Grant Gremel (#16) was a walk-on in 2019 and played for Noblesville where he also lettered in basketball.

Freshman Will Jontz (#25) hails from Brighton, MI where he lettered in football three times. He also lettered in basketball and track and field.

Coach
Nick Sheridan
is the Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach for the Hoosiers. In 2017 Sheridan was named one of the top 30 coaches under 30 by 247Sports. He has tutored the likes of Peyton Hendershot, Peyton Ramsey, Richard Lagow and Joshua Dobbs (Tennessee). He was also chosen to follow Willie Taggart from Western Kentucky to South Florida in 2013.
  • Tight Ends, Indiana 2019
  • Quarterbacks, Indiana 2017-18
  • Graduate Assistant, Tennessee 2014-2016
  • Passing Game Coordinator / Quarterbacks, South Florida 2013
  • Passing Game Coordinator / Quarterbacks, Western Kentucky 2012
  • Graduate Assistant, Western Kentucky 2011
  • Quarterbacks, Saline HS (Alma Mater) 2010
Sheridan was a walk-on quarterback at Michigan in 2006 where he eventually earned a scholarship and started four games. He threw for 701 yards and two TDs in 12 career appearances.

Originally published here:
I would love to see Tuttle get in some work without Penix being injured. I am not a fan of the Wildcat because it it usually too predictable. I would be up for some plays that a QB like Tuttle could practice and run. I could see Penix split wide and used as a receiver, a decoy, or with a lateral and pass option. I feel it is important to give Tuttle work so he is prepared if he has to play.

I would love to see Tuttle get in some work without Penix being injured. I am not a fan of the Wildcat because it it usually too predictable. I would be up for some plays that a QB like Tuttle could practice and run. I could see Penix split wide and used as a receiver, a decoy, or with a lateral and pass option. I feel it is important to give Tuttle work so he is prepared if he has to play.

I hope Tuttle gets time bc IU is way up and they give him real minutes. But I can’t agree on Penix at WR gadget plays. He’s been injured 3 seasons in a row. Taking a hit catching a ball? No thank you.

I hope Tuttle gets time bc IU is way up and they give him real minutes. But I can’t agree on Penix at WR gadget plays. He’s been injured 3 seasons in a row. Taking a hit catching a ball? No thank you.
I agree with that. I'd rather see Reese Taylor with a special package coming in to throw a read-option wrinkle at a team than putting Penix out wide running fly routes.

*EDIT* And not that it makes it a ton better, but Penix has been hurt 2 seasons in a row at IU (unless he got hurt in HS you mean his Sr. year)

I agree with that. I'd rather see Reese Taylor with a special package coming in to throw a read-option wrinkle at a team than putting Penix out wide running fly routes.

*EDIT* And not that it makes it a ton better, but Penix has been hurt 2 seasons in a row at IU (unless he got hurt in HS you mean his Sr. year)
No meant 2 yrs in a row, that was not HS related and definitely not intended to foreshadow anything this year either!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
He would demand attention as a WR. Put him in motion. Move him around on the field. Fake an end around. The next game hand it off to him on the end around. Let him catch a pass on a bubble screen. Use him creatively, but let Tuttle run the offense with plays that are already in the play book. They aren't "gadget" plays. They would be real plays with Penix in the positions.

Offenses disguise plays with different formations and personnel. The goal is to get the defense to make the wrong read. Show them something they haven't seen before. It doesn't have to be more dangerous for Penix than playing QB.

He would demand attention as a WR. Put him in motion. Move him around on the field. Fake an end around. The next game hand it off to him on the end around. Let him catch a pass on a bubble screen. Use him creatively, but let Tuttle run the offense with plays that are already in the play book. They aren't "gadget" plays. They would be real plays with Penix in the positions.

Offenses disguise plays with different formations and personnel. The goal is to get the defense to make the wrong read. Show them something they haven't seen before. It doesn't have to be more dangerous for Penix than playing QB.

You're giving every Big Ten defense a free shot at knocking a guy out of the game who could very well turn out to be our most valuable player...

I love trickery but we need to stay away from this approach, in my opinion...

We have potentially a pro QB in Penix who'll end up taking plenty of risks in the pocket and out of it this abbreviated season, no reason to give anyone any extra shots at putting him out of the game...

You're giving every Big Ten defense a free shot at knocking a guy out of the game who could very well turn out to be our most valuable player...

I love trickery but we need to stay away from this approach, in my opinion...

We have potentially a pro QB in Penix who'll end up taking plenty of risks in the pocket and out of it this abbreviated season, no reason to give anyone any extra shots at putting him out of the game...
Again, it isn't trickery or gadget plays. If you are worried about him getting hurt, he should stay on the bench or hand the ball off all game.

Again, it isn't trickery or gadget plays. If you are worried about him getting hurt, he should stay on the bench or hand the ball off all game.

Big difference between sending a QB out as a WR and hits he could take and “or stay on the bench or only hand off the whole game.” There was NO ONE who said anything about him not dropping back to pass!!’ Why? Because he has good vision & quick release to help avoid sacks. Going out for a pass can leave a receiver open to being laid out by a huge unprotected hit. Kind of a huge difference there, so not a good argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT