ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting - A Problem Moving Forward

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Historically, CTA has recruited some nice QB talent. Tuttle, Penix, McCulley and Baz were all HS 4-star players. Problem is only Baz is playing QB (badly imo) at IU as 2 are transferring and the other is now a WR.

Dexter looks good in HS film, but we've never seen him play live in college. Obviously that is different than HS cut-ups. Last year's signee and this year's commit look like projects for a staff that hasn't shown any ability to develop a QB.

Anyone else worried about the position in the future?

Reactions: jsenleo
".... Anyone else worried about the position in the future?"

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Historically, CTA has recruited some nice QB talent. Tuttle, Penix, McCulley and Baz were all HS 4-star players. Problem is only Baz is playing QB (badly imo) at IU as 2 are transferring and the other is now a WR.

Dexter looks good in HS film, but we've never seen him play live in college. Obviously that is different than HS cut-ups. Last year's signee and this year's commit look like projects for a staff that hasn't shown any ability to develop a QB.

What positions are we not worried about at the moment?

Considering what we have, I think the best step is tailor a dual threat attack with Dexter. We have him for 3 more years, right? We’re just not talented enough for a conventional drop back QB.

I know it will never happen with CTA. He’ll ride with Baz until it’s over…but when you’re less talented, the running QB option works more than it doesn’t. See Kansas. They sure as heck aren’t any more talented.

forget it. TA already reached his high water mark in recruiting. it's over. i'd be surprised if most of the current recruits don't bail.

Long Snapper should be a worry.....Wratcher is an NFL snapper. He does have a year left because of COVID. But if the NFL wants him, he is gone.

Linebacker room is young and promising. Would worry if McCullough goes up north, but good now.

Punter is not a worry (surprisingly after last year)

Tight End.....deep, gaining experience. I give all of them (especially Barner) the benefit of the doubt because of need to help block and Baz' poor accuracy. They will be fine next year.

Kicker. Campbell in same boat as Wratcher. He seems more likely to stay. Even if he leaves, Freeman and new high school recruit should be OK. But neither would have FG experience until next year.

SO......in conclusion, the only spot not to worry is PUNTER.

Reactions: DANC
Considering what we have, I think the best step is tailor a dual threat attack with Dexter. We have him for 3 more years, right? We’re just not talented enough for a conventional drop back QB.

I know it will never happen with CTA. He’ll ride with Baz until it’s over…but when you’re less talented, the running QB option works more than it doesn’t. See Kansas. They sure as heck aren’t any more talented.
I’ve always said IU needs an athletic QB that can run.

With Bell in his first year, we don't know if he'll be able to develop talent or recruit the QB position. I would say 2024 QB recruit will shed some light and how well Baze improves in the offseason. Having an OL that gives the QB some time will help whoever is back there.

Unless and until the OL situation improves HS QBs are going to be wary of coming here and I don't blame them.

Reactions: DCDAVID

I'm worried about the whole program...
I know a bunch ..And every fan I talk to say's..On to basketball...🏀

Reactions: outlawyer
forget it. TA already reached his high water mark in recruiting. it's over. i'd be surprised if most of the current recruits don't bail.

God, it's like groundhog day.

Last year, people on this board said recruiting was down and everyone was going to decommit. We had two kids decommit, where both their respective position coaches left the program.

Fans go WAY overboard on emotions. This is another one of those times.

With Bell in his first year, we don't know if he'll be able to develop talent or recruit the QB position. I would say 2024 QB recruit will shed some light and how well Baze improves in the offseason. Having an OL that gives the QB some time will help whoever is back there.
I hope Williams is back there as with a better OL now still threw 2 INTs and overthrows while the pocket was clean most of the game.

There will never be another ARE. If there is, he won’t be playing at IU.
I’d settle for another Kellen Lewis or Trey Roberson.

Reactions: vesuvius13
For whatever reason CTA and his staff seem to ignore the state of Indiana. Ian Moore is a high 4, low 5 star OL in our backyard and isn’t even sniffing IU. Rumor today is that he’s committing early (like tonight).

For whatever reason CTA and his staff seem to ignore the state of Indiana. Ian Moore is a high 4, low 5 star OL in our backyard and isn’t even sniffing IU. Rumor today is that he’s committing early (like tonight).
Not sure it’s us ignoring them as much as kids not wanting to come to Indiana

I"m most concerned with the fact that we had our best recruiting class - at least by rankings on all the sites i follow - in years, perhaps ever. And yet, only 2 of them are playing. Obviously, rankings don't mean squat. But still, very disappointing considering the product we have seen on the field, if the best class we have ever had is not even good enough to crack the 2-deep other than those 2.

Not sure it’s us ignoring them as much as kids not wanting to come to Indiana
How does this program continue to miss out on high level players in the Indy area? Why are they ignoring Indiana? There has been a fair amount of OL talent the past five years that has seemed to “not want to come to Indiana”.

Reactions: indy1203

Yup. Knowing that the OL in front of them will be bad and likely get them injured won't help either.

What qb is that ?
Broc Lowry, 3 star from Ohio. Not the kind of recruit you think will dramatically change the program's results, but you never know. If he's and efficient, accurate passer who can read defenses and is pretty mobile, he doesn't have to have an NFL arm, just a quick release. Peyton Ramsey was pretty serviceable and a winner with the right supporting cast. I think that is generally the ceiling for expectations we should have for QB recruits unless something dramatically changes with the OL, RB quality and running game proficiency.

I would think all recruiting woudl be a problem moving forward. He is not gettting 4 star recruits anymore and we are 1-12 in conference in the last two years. He is a dead man walking at this point.

With the transfer portal, the ability to develop QBs out of HS isn't absolutely essential. I'm honestly not too concerned with the QB recruiting though depth could be a real question next year if Bazelak goes down early with injury. Williams will be in his fourth year, so hopefully he'd be ready to take the reigns if that happened.

As for Sorsby and Lowry(class of '22 and '23 respectively), I think Sorsby would definitely fall into the project category, looks like he flashed some really nice throws and showed he's a great athlete in his senior year, but if I'm remembering correctly, he didn't even get to play the full season because of injury. Definitely a project, Hoover would've been a great pickup, it's a bummer we couldn't have kept him on board but we all knew that was a possibility with Sheridan being fired. Definitely was a desperate pickup because they lost Hoover in December and couldn't get anyone else, but who knows, hopefully a few years working on his mechanics and he can compete for the starting job.

I wouldn't put Lowry in the "project" class though. He looks like a good athlete too, especially for his size and by the time he enrolls at IU, he will have been a full two year starter, barring some unforeseen injury and I did see an article on 247 that praised his performance this season. Considering we're a bottom tier P5 program coming off a 2-10 season with a brand new QB coach/OC, I really like the Lowry pickup.

Development will be another thing entirely, Bazelak came to WB kind of fully cooked, if I'm correct he was in the same HS year as Tuttle. But WB will get the chance to prove it with the other three QBs in the room and barring an injury, transfer or massive regression by Bazelak, we'll find out about WB's ability to develop QBs in the 2024-2025 season.

How does this program continue to miss out on high level players in the Indy area? Why are they ignoring Indiana? There has been a fair amount of OL talent the past five years that has seemed to “not want to come to Indiana”.
You know it is not like high school football in Indiana is the same as hs football in like Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, Texas or Florida. I would rather get a 3* from one of those as opposed to a 4* from Indiana. Those kids are playing against other big time kids almost every week. I am not saying that hs football in Indiana is bad but is not the same as it is in those other states that we seem to be doing ok in.

I"m most concerned with the fact that we had our best recruiting class - at least by rankings on all the sites i follow - in years, perhaps ever. And yet, only 2 of them are playing. Obviously, rankings don't mean squat. But still, very disappointing considering the product we have seen on the field, if the best class we have ever had is not even good enough to crack the 2-deep other than those 2.

McCullough is obviously playing a lot. Lucas is getting snaps. Dunnam is seeing more time in the defensive backfield and has played in all 7 games. Nick James is at the max of 4 games where if he plays another down, he burns his redshirt. There have been others that have played as well during mop up.

Most times, successful teams don't rely on many freshman. If we did, we would be in serious trouble.

Broc Lowry, 3 star from Ohio. Not the kind of recruit you think will dramatically change the program's results, but you never know. If he's and efficient, accurate passer who can read defenses and is pretty mobile, he doesn't have to have an NFL arm, just a quick release. Peyton Ramsey was pretty serviceable and a winner with the right supporting cast. I think that is generally the ceiling for expectations we should have for QB recruits unless something dramatically changes with the OL, RB quality and running game proficiency.
Seems some have already passed on Dexter Wms who seems more of a true dual QB.

You know it is not like high school football in Indiana is the same as hs football in like Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, Texas or Florida. I would rather get a 3* from one of those as opposed to a 4* from Indiana. Those kids are playing against other big time kids almost every week. I am not saying that hs football in Indiana is bad but is not the same as it is in those other states that we seem to be doing ok in.
I get that and I know we’ve been burned more than once but the past few years kids like Dawad Jones (projected as a possible 1st rd) and Caden Curry (now in the DL rotation and playing well) seem to be different. I’m not saying we didn’t try to recruit any of them and I know with Curry the effort was there with him. I guess with Moore we don’t have to waste a year of recruiting him. I just wish we had more of a presence in the Indy area.

Seems some have already passed on Dexter Wms who seems more of a true dual QB.
What I wonder about is , at this point, why Dexter isn't getting a chance. Bazelak has to improve his accuracy if the OL is better in pass pro or I think you give Williams a chance. He had a red shirt year last year so it's not because of protecting his eligibility particularly since he gets a COVID year too. His maneuverability would seem to be something this team needs.

Maybe recruits in Indiana are more effected by the lack of program prestige. Probably a lot of peers saying "why would you consider lowly iu". Locally you are fighting the bottom feeder image.

On the flip side, out of state recruits only see what iu has been recently and peers probably don't hold a negative opinion of the iu program. It is just seen as a big ten power 5 program that has been to a few bowls recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT