ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Loses Exhibition

Purdue ran their stuff and worked on different stuff. Lineups, etc. lineups they ran vs Creighton that we probably won’t see vs the season. They can run through game prep vs ivy tech in a couple weeks. Purdue has to figure their stuff out before Creighton. What did Purdue play? 12 players? And had TKR on the bench with 4 minutes to go in a close game. That won’t happen in the season. All about trying stuff and continuing to learn your players.
Ehhh... kind of like not studying on a test so you can say you "didn't study" when you get a C on it. Or maybe a closer analogy is saying you're not recruiting highly ranked recruits because they "don't fit" your program.

Painter has a handle on it all, no doubt. Obviously not a big deal. Learning how to win close games without Edey seems like a pretty pressing challenge for Purdue though...not sure why he'd pass on such a unique opportunity?

Reactions: kkott
Ehhh... kind of like not studying on a test so you can say you "didn't study" when you get a C on it. Or maybe a closer analogy is saying you're not recruiting highly ranked recruits because they "don't fit" your program.

Painter has a handle on it all, no doubt. Obviously not a big deal. Learning how to win close games without Edey seems like a pretty pressing challenge for Purdue though...not sure why he'd pass on such a unique opportunity?
Maybe he didn’t pass on it, but instead threw some unknowns at it to see if he has different options when that situation arrives. Because you know what you will get from TKR late. See what you get with Jacobson late. Why not?

I think the first half the season is going to be trial and error tbh. If Purdue loses the big ten, it’s probably going to be due to some early losses, though the last 6 are a gauntlet, so could be wrong. But come tournament time, I suspect this team will be clicking. Harris and Cox will also be better than vs now. Loved their defense. Will be a welcomed addition.

Purdue ran their stuff and worked on different stuff. Lineups, etc. lineups they ran vs Creighton that we probably won’t see vs the season. They can run through game prep vs ivy tech in a couple weeks. Purdue has to figure their stuff out before Creighton. What did Purdue play? 12 players? And had TKR on the bench with 4 minutes to go in a close game. That won’t happen in the season. All about trying stuff and continuing to learn your players.
Rationalize the pain of defeat any way you wish, but if it had been IU losing to Creighton, the loss would piss us off.

Maybe he didn’t pass on it, but instead threw some unknowns at it to see if he has different options when that situation arrives. Because you know what you will get from TKR late. See what you get with Jacobson late. Why not?

I think the first half the season is going to be trial and error tbh. If Purdue loses the big ten, it’s probably going to be due to some early losses, though the last 6 are a gauntlet, so could be wrong. But come tournament time, I suspect this team will be clicking. Harris and Cox will also be better than vs now. Loved their defense. Will be a welcomed addition.
They actually don't know what they'll get from any of them, without Edey...espectially TKR I would think. Obviously he knows the juniors very well, knows their game very well, but none of them have had to execute in close games against good teams, without Edey.

Its early...plenty of opportunities to learn and grow ahead...just seems strange to have such a relaxed approach with something that could have been their best "road" experience before B10 play. I suspect if they had pulled it out and won, the narrative would have been a lot different. 70 points from our returning core, key contributions from the frosh big, defensive contributions from other newcomers that led to the win, on the road, over a top 25 level team... Instead they lost...so the narrative is "we didn't approach it like a real game"... Kind of like, we backed off on Sisley, and Mullins, and Haralson, and, and, and, and...

Rationalize the pain of defeat any way you wish, but if it had been IU losing to Creighton, the loss would piss us off.
I'm sure they'll be fine. Smith went off. Loyer and TKR were solid. That is an early answer to some of their question marks.

Its just a strange thing to mail it in, however they want to explain it... in such a unique and potentially beneficial environment.

They actually don't know what they'll get from any of them, without Edey...espectially TKR I would think. Obviously he knows the juniors very well, knows their game very well, but none of them have had to execute in close games against good teams, without Edey.

Its early...plenty of opportunities to learn and grow ahead...just seems strange to have such a relaxed approach with something that could have been their best "road" experience before B10 play. I suspect if they had pulled it out and won, the narrative would have been a lot different. 70 points from our returning core, key contributions from the frosh big, defensive contributions from other newcomers that led to the win, on the road, over a top 25 level team... Instead they lost...so the narrative is "we didn't approach it like a real game"... Kind of like, we backed off on Sisley, and Mullins, and Haralson, and, and, and, and...
so, you're saying Matt Painter cooled on Creighton? I can buy that.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
well losing has been part of the culture at Bloomington much more than in W Laffy so that's understandable. Fan base has been screaming for change. Reality is that Creighton is a very talented team as I'm sure Tennessee will be throughout season. Purdue and IU will be very good and all four teams will be dancing interesting see how it plays out.

• Haha
Reactions: YOTHN
I'm sure they'll be fine. Smith went off. Loyer and TKR were solid. That is an early answer to some of their question marks.

Its just a strange thing to mail it in, however they want to explain it... in such a unique and potentially beneficial environment.
I’m just glad IU played with pride, for the name on their jerseys and the brand of basketball that name has come to represent. It’s hard for other teams to play that way when banner-less.

But they a narrative for everything that goes against them — it’s always somehow part of Matt’s master plan.
As is recruiting multiple giants every year who resemble Frankenstein's monster.

Sleepy Monster Mash GIF by Animanias

It’s early...plenty of opportunities to learn and grow ahead...just seems strange to have such a relaxed approach with something that could have been their best "road" experience before B10 play. I suspect if they had pulled it out and won, the narrative would have been a lot different. 70 points from our returning core, key contributions from the frosh big, defensive contributions from other newcomers that led to the win, on the road, over a top 25 level team... Instead they lost...so the narrative is "we didn't approach it like a real game"... Kind of like, we backed off on Sisley, and Mullins, and Haralson, and, and, and, and...
Na. Narrative would have been the same from me. I wasn’t even watching the score or anything. I was watching individual players and what worked. Multiple times I looked up and was like, oh crap, they cut it to 2.

If a half full Creighton arena is a “tough road environment” … Smith, TKR, and Loyer did exactly what I expected. The freshman were about what I thought. Cox was a pleasant surprise though. He’s going to help right away. Was disappointed by Colvin and Heide. The 5 is a question mark, but I’m guessing will be serviceable.

You can say it’s like those recruits, but it’s not reactionary. Painter literally said two weeks ago he was running his stuff and not catering their stuff to Creighton. So it’s not. Had Purdue won, I’d say ok, cool, but means nothing. What did rotations, sets, players, etc look like? If painter was playing to win, he wouldn’t have played a 12 man rotation with a variety of different rotations. They probably would have helped the freshman guards defensively. Catered to certain things.

Haha. I think PU is fine and will be pretty darn good this year. But they a narrative for everything that goes against them — it’s always somehow part of Matt’s master plan.
I’m literally just repeating what painter said two weeks ago. There is no narrative being pushed here.

• Haha
Why? It doesn’t matter. Doesn’t count. Means nothing in the grand scheme.
I don’t root for IU to win only when it counts. They could be playing Five Mighty Midgets for little people’s charity and I will always feel better after a victory than I would a defeat. Games only become “meaningless” after a loss…the loser’s mentality

meaningless victory>meaningless loss

Your Creighton loss is a foreshadowing of what lies ahead. It’s cause for concern amongst your ranks, making your alumni surly.

It's exhibition so who cares. I was more concerned last year when IU struggled against juggernauts like Morehead State, FGC, Army, etc.

Na. Narrative would have been the same from me. I wasn’t even watching the score or anything. I was watching individual players and what worked. Multiple times I looked up and was like, oh crap, they cut it to 2.

If a half full Creighton arena is a “tough road environment” … Smith, TKR, and Loyer did exactly what I expected. The freshman were about what I thought. Cox was a pleasant surprise though. He’s going to help right away. Was disappointed by Colvin and Heide. The 5 is a question mark, but I’m guessing will be serviceable.

You can say it’s like those recruits, but it’s not reactionary. Painter literally said two weeks ago he was running his stuff and not catering their stuff to Creighton. So it’s not. Had Purdue won, I’d say ok, cool, but means nothing. What did rotations, sets, players, etc look like? If painter was playing to win, he wouldn’t have played a 12 man rotation with a variety of different rotations. They probably would have helped the freshman guards defensively. Catered to certain things.
Creighton played 12 guys with nobody getting 30 mins.

Reactions: indiana ed
well losing has been part of the culture at Bloomington much more than in W Laffy so that's understandable. Fan base has been screaming for change. Reality is that Creighton is a very talented team as I'm sure Tennessee will be throughout season. Purdue and IU will be very good and all four teams will be dancing interesting see how it plays out.
Maybe in your shortsighted culture, but not mine. IU has won three national titles under my watch.

Purdue lost at Creighton. Creighton is expected to be a top 25 team but a loss is a loss.
J.F.C. We don't measure our success by the failure of others.
WTF does a PU exhibition game have to do with how good we are or how far we go this season? Unless, of course..........they totally suck, beat us, and we miss the Big Dance on strength of schedule.
Get on the PU board and discuss their game there.

• Haha
J.F.C. We don't measure our success by the failure of others.
WTF does a PU exhibition game have to do with how good we are or how far we go this season? Unless, of course..........they totally suck, beat us, and we miss the Big Dance on strength of schedule.
Get on the PU board and discuss their game there.
HAHA! What are you crying about? No one is measuring Indiana success to others. We are mocking PU because this is a sports entertainment fan forum. I think last months tampon is still in your bum. You might want to pull that string.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT