ADVERTISEMENT

Progressives kill off Democratic gerrymandering in New Jersey

Doesn't the 2018 election answer your question?

I never said the courts can't intervene. As I posted above, the state courts played a role in redistricting in Pennsylvania and Colorado. And I explained how and why that happened. I also pointed out that a few states are taking redistricting out of the hands of the legislatures and that I supported that measure.

Even the federal courts would have a role if political gerrymandering offended the constitution in the same way that racial gerrymandering did. I think there needs to be something more than "gerrymandering doesn't feel right" in order for it to be unconstitutional.

Finally I don't buy the arguments about disenfranchisement or circumventing a majority. I live where there will never be a GOP congressperson elected. The lines could be drawn or gerrymandered in a way to make my neighborhood be part of a competitive district. Do I have a constitutional right to such a district? In other words, if the courts can talk about gerrymandering, can the courts require gerrymandering to make districts as competitive as possible?

2018 doesn't as Wisconsin is proof. The D's won the statewide vote by a large margin and have no control in the statehouse. They cannot reverse the laws the Rs put in.

Which amendment to the constitution did poll taxes violate? I am not talking about a tax only on one race, which would violate the 14th. But a tax on all people is illegal, and it can't rely solely on the 14th. So the court can find ways to find something unconstitutional because it does not feel right.

I'm not sure the best solution isn't just to have Indiana vote as a whole and divide out 55% of the representatives as GOP and 45 as Democrat (assuming a 55-45 vote which would be 5 Rs and 4 Ds) Every vote potentially matters. State laws of course prohibit this, but there is nothing in article 1 that prohibits it as it only says the representative has to live in the state they represent. There is nothing that says the state must subdivide into the districts we now use. Of course state constitutions probably do, so that would need changed. But I find that the best system.

I agree there is a lot wrong with gerrymandering. The question is what branch of government is in charge of fixing it. Colorado in the last election voted in legislation to take redistricting out of the hands of the legislature and put it in the hands of a commission. I generally don’t like measures that marginalize the legislative branch, but I voted for that change because the legislature lost its ability to cooperate and be responsible.

As I said, I have trouble finding a way to apply the first amendment to hold gerrymandering deprives anybody of a first Amendment right.

Side note- the first amendment seems to me to be the right’s favorite weapon in the courts these days (citizens united). We’ve seen it in other contexts also.

To me, it’s similar to the US SC in the early to mid 20th century using the commerce clause to grab more power for the federal government. Like what happened there (eventually), I hope this trend will be reigned in also.

I like the idea of independent, bipartisan commissions. That use scientifically vetted/sound principles to draw up districts. That’s the way to should be. It’s kind of hard to let the voters decide when their votes aren’t worth as much due to gerrymandering. The groups that specialize in this crap should be identified and shamed. It’s a cottage industry now, and they’ve developed really precise models to dilute people’s voting power.

Reactions: MrBing
Here’s an interesting piece that argues that there are four potential constitutional arguments that could be made:

https://scholarship.law.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1084&context=cjlpp

That's an interesting law review article. I read it a couple of times. Thanks for linking it. As is the case with many law review comments, there is a high level of surplusage mumbo jumbo included. None of the four arguments, equal protection, first amendment, competitiveness, or legislating with impartiality, in my view touch on any constitutional requirement or constitutional prohibition. While interesting reading, none of the four arguments state a justiciable claim that courts can or should address.

While I agree that excessive partisanship in drawing boundaries is inconsistent with democratic principles, I fail to see how drawing boundaries should be different from excessive partisanship in any legislative action such as passing health care, a budget, or tax policy. The essential point of a representative democracy is the process of legislation, meaning a lot of debate, negotiation, and compromise. Any policy that is thwarted or imposed by the refusal to debate, negotiate, or compromise is in a large sense undemocratic. Yet the courts will never declare a law unconstitutional because one side in a legislature had its way. I see districting as the same.

I revisited the Colorado redistricting law. The law before the 2018 change included these factors in judicial review of redistricting:

(1) In determining whether one or more of the congressional districts established in accordance with section 44 of article V of the state constitution are lawful and in adopting or enforcing any change to any such district, courts:

(a) Shall utilize the following factors:

(I) A good faith effort to achieve precise mathematical population equality between districts, justifying each variance, no matter how small, as required by the constitution of the United States. Each district shall consist of contiguous whole general election precincts. Districts shall not overlap.

(II) Compliance with the federal “Voting Rights Act of 1965”, in particular 42 U.S.C. sec. 1973;1 and

(b) May, without weight to any factor, utilize factors including but not limited to:

(I) The preservation of political subdivisions such as counties, cities, and towns. When county, city, or town boundaries are changed, adjustments, if any, in districts shall be as prescribed by law.

(II) The preservation of communities of interest, including ethnic, cultural, economic, trade area, geographic, and demographic factors;

(III) The compactness of each congressional district; and

(IV) The minimization of disruption of prior district lines.
The 2018 change is:

(2)(a) As much as is reasonably possible, the commission's plan must preserve whole communities of interest and whole political subdivisions, such as counties, cities, and towns.

(b) Districts must be as compact as is reasonably possible.

(3)(a) Thereafter, the commission shall, to the extent possible, maximize the number of politically competitive districts.​

In the former, political competitiveness is not mentioned at all, in the latter, competitiveness is clearly subordinated to other factors.

In sum, I don't think excessive partisanship should ever be a reason for a court to void a legislative act. The fact that the "excessive partisanship" is part of the legal analysis shows we are talking about a legislative function, not a judicial function. In any event, the voters and their representatives have plenary control over the amount, and role, of political partisanship in drafting legislation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT