ADVERTISEMENT

Private charitable donations to public high schools

BradStevens

All-American
Sep 7, 2023
I find this phenomenon bizarre. It's now going on at my school. A neighbor was invited to a mixer that turned out to be a fundraising networking event. These people are looking for people to donate between $100k-$500k. To my kid's public high school. They said it's a more "progressive" way to fund the school's $250 million renovation that was voted on and somehow they want private funding to cover part of the cost.

Here's an earlier example:

The same guy told me that some billionaire graduate from this high school offered to pay the whole $250 million if they'd name the school after him. And our board flatly declined. WTF???

I find this phenomenon bizarre. It's now going on at my school. A neighbor was invited to a mixer that turned out to be a fundraising networking event. These people are looking for people to donate between $100k-$500k. To my kid's public high school. They said it's a more "progressive" way to fund the school's $250 million renovation that was voted on and somehow they want private funding to cover part of the cost.

The same guy told me that some billionaire graduate from this high school offered to pay the whole $250 million if they'd name the school after him. And our board flatly declined. WTF???
Many public school systems have foundations to accept donations.

Reactions: UncleMark

$250M is a helluva budget for a school renovation.

By way of reference, the cost to build Lucas Oil Stadium from the ground up in 2005-2008 was $720M. Adjusted for inflation, that’s a little over $1.1B today.

So that renovation budget is roughly a quarter of what a brand new NFL stadium cost to build.

By way of reference, the cost to build Lucas Oil Stadium from the ground up in 2005-2008 was $720M. Adjusted for inflation, that’s a little over $1.1B today.

So that renovation budget is roughly a quarter of what a brand new NFL stadium cost to build.
Yep. And decided without a referendum which pissed us voters off to no end. They tried to get a referendum passed to build a new pool for $40 million about 8!years ago. When that failed , they went with this $250 million project with a bigger pool embedded in it. And didn’t put it up for public vote.

Politicians suck. Even at the local level.

Yep. And decided without a referendum which pissed us voters off to no end. They tried to get a referendum passed to build a new pool for $40 million about 8!years ago. When that failed , they went with this $250 million project with a bigger pool embedded in it. And didn’t put it up for public vote.

An interesting (though not surprising) nugget of data as we hear them complain about funds currently going to public schools being subjected to going elsewhere by way of parental choice.

They sure do seem to be living hand to mouth in your area…with quarter of a billion dollar school building renovation projects.

An interesting (though not surprising) nugget of data as we hear them complain about funds currently going to public schools being subjected to going elsewhere by way of parental choice.

They sure do seem to be living hand to mouth in your area…with quarter of a billion dollar school building renovation projects.
The best part is, they all claim that racial equity is their #1 concern, while building a $50 million pool that will be used by an all white swim team of under 100 kids?

The best part is, they all claim that racial equity is their #1 concern, while building a $50 million pool that will be used by an all white swim team of under 100 kids?
We got a new stadium at my daughter’s school. When a shooter comes in they’ll say special doors and a metal detector was too much

Reactions: BradStevens

So your school wasn't the one MTG was talking about getting billions earlier this year, huh?

I take it they don't have bake sales anymore?

Run away as fast as you can when you here that word progressive.

In this whole thing, the point that resonated with me the most was the idea that it was perfectly normal for public universities to bleed their alumni dry while public high schools didn't even know how to do it. I've never been one to give money to an institution I already paid money to for a degree I don't need, but after reading that, I think if I ever do donate, I will make it a point to only give to my high school, and not my college.

In this whole thing, the point that resonated with me the most was the idea that it was perfectly normal for public universities to bleed their alumni dry while public high schools didn't even know how to do it. I've never been one to give money to an institution I already paid money to for a degree I don't need, but after reading that, I think if I ever do donate, I will make it a point to only give to my high school, and not my college.
Donate to something that helps people. Like helps underprivileged kids learn to read pre-K or gets them books, etc. Not this shit.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Monroe County doesn't really allow it. Any large donations have to be "pooled" a distributed evenly. A parent can't privately donate the cash required to update Binford Elementary's playground unless they can fund all of them.

Heard Bloomington South had an alum willing to fund the $1MM to turf the soccer field, but was nixed unless he funded the same for North.

I don't think they could build Lucas Oil for anything close to $1B. They're planning on spending $1.25B to renovate Paycor Stadium here in Cincinnati. Recently built new stadiums have been $2-$5B.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Indoor 50 meter pools should be mandatory in all public high schools of over 1,000 students.

Monroe County doesn't really allow it. Any large donations have to be "pooled" a distributed evenly. A parent can't privately donate the cash required to update Binford Elementary's playground unless they can fund all of them.

Heard Bloomington South had an alum willing to fund the $1MM to turf the soccer field, but was nixed unless he funded the same for North.
We have the same thing in our district for the two high schools. In fact, if we buy a booster pass for the year ($350?) we get four tickets to every sporting event at both high schools - the only exception being when our kids' high school is the playing at the other high school in football or basketball. I think they do that in large part because of seating capacity.

We got a new stadium at my daughter’s school. When a shooter comes in they’ll say special doors and a metal detector was too much
I'm actually pretty surprised more effective and sophisticated security systems haven't become more popular as schools are growing and expanding.

Public school systems are competing for state funding. Its a balance, obviously, but the more enrollment a school has, the more funding they get. So attracting new families in to their communities is a pretty big deal.

I would think having the things you mention in place, without them being overly intrusive, would be a HUGE selling point to potential new families?

Obviously sparkly new extra curricular facilities are more "indulgent", and we are an indulgent society here in 'Merica. But school security is becoming such a huge topic, I would think the investment would be as good, or better than new Athletics or Fine Arts facilities are??...

Must not pencil out though, as I haven't seen or heard of really any school doing it, or promoting it if they do.

We have the same thing in our district for the two high schools. In fact, if we buy a booster pass for the year ($350?) we get four tickets to every sporting event at both high schools - the only exception being when our kids' high school is the playing at the other high school in football or basketball. I think they do that in large part because of seating capacity.
$350. You’re cute.

I’m talking about $350k donations!

$350. You’re cute.

I’m talking about $350k donations!
I was merely giving an example. One of our high schools had to close its pool because it was leaking. I have heard the cost for repairs is at least high 6 figures. They have had offers to donate $ to fix it, but half of any money donated has to go to the other high school. Which effectively means they have to raise 2x the cost of the repairs.

I was merely giving an example. One of our high schools had to close its pool because it was leaking. I have heard the cost for repairs is at least high 6 figures. They have had offers to donate $ to fix it, but half of any money donated has to go to the other high school. Which effectively means they have to raise 2x the cost of the repairs.
That specific situation is absurd.

Reactions: Noodle
That specific situation is absurd.
The only aspect that makes it slightly less absurd is that the other school's pool also needs repairs - just not as desperately as the other school's whose pool has been closed for over 5 years now.

The only aspect that makes it slightly less absurd is that the other school's pool also needs repairs - just not as desperately as the other school's whose pool has been closed for over 5 years now.
I think they have given up, as the latest news is that they repainted the pool that is still functional, including adding "branding" for both schools. And that pool is kind of a dump. 6-lane 25 yard pool in the basement, 50+ years old.

Pools are stupid. There, I said it.
Whoa. Both my kids were varsity swimmers. It’s a great sport. The primary pool was funded with municipal and school funds. Pool was about 4 miles from school and practice was 6 a.m. Three teams used that pool. Schools in Loveland, around 10 miles away were in the schools and more swimmers and many good swimmers.

I remember a piece that ran in a national publication (I think it was National Review) about Mitch Daniels and his quest to pare back government spending.

The author accompanied Daniels to his alma mater (North Central HS) and was in awe of the newly renovated school building -- natatorium, food court, escalators I think? And he said something to Daniels about how striking the facility was.

"Yeah, it's a problem." was Daniels answer....at which time I officially became a Daniels fanboy. Not many politicians would say something like that.

Pools are stupid. There, I said it.

We built a new North Jr/Sr HS building here in Evansville about 13 years ago (ftr, the budget was ~$70m). The original plans called for a natatorium. But the school corp scrapped it when officials and parents from the other high schools complained about North getting a pool and nobody else.

Eventually the city just built a new natatorium that all of the schools can use -- which makes a helluva lot more sense.

Whoa. Both my kids were varsity swimmers. It’s a great sport. The primary pool was funded with municipal and school funds. Pool was about 4 miles from school and practice was 6 a.m. Three teams used that pool. Schools in Loveland, around 10 miles away were in the schools and more swimmers and many good swimmers.
Swimming is stupid too.

Thats What I Said GIF by Back Row Radio

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
We built a new North Jr/Sr HS building here in Evansville about 13 years ago (ftr, the budget was ~$70m). The original plans called for a natatorium. But the school corp scrapped it when officials and parents from the other high schools complained about North getting a pool and nobody else.

Eventually the city just built a new natatorium that all of the schools can use -- which makes a helluva lot more sense.
We have one school in our "city." Our park district has an outdoor pool, with swimming lanes, etc. right across the street from the high school.

It's insane to spend that much money on a pool. I'm not one of those people that think swimming needs to be taught in high school. If you want to make it an educational requirement, I'm sure you could subsidize swimming lessons in the summer for far, far less.

I remember a piece that ran in a national publication (I think it was National Review) about Mitch Daniels and his quest to pare back government spending.

The author accompanied Daniels to his alma mater (North Central HS) and was in awe of the newly renovated school building -- natatorium, food court, escalators I think? And he said something to Daniels about how striking the facility was.

"Yeah, it's a problem." was Daniels answer....at which time I officially became a Daniels fanboy. Not many politicians would say something like that.
The way schools are funded in Indiana causes a lot of that.

In Palm Beach county there is is a half cent tax for security upgrades and renovations. My old school was 25 years ago for $52 million.250 is definitely going to be a heckuva project. Evidently they also are not going with low bid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT