ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty sure my riding mower died today.

Dunn_IU

Freshman
Sep 28, 2015
It's 12 or 13 years old so not too shocking. Made a few passes tonight all was well then the blade was suddenly laboring to cut. Unengaged the blade and it started up and the motor was running fine. Engaged the blade again and it grounded down, lost power and shut down and I guess died as it now won't start. I assume it's not worth trying to repair I can buy new one for under $1K. I wonder if someone like Home Depot would haul away the old one for free if I buy a new one. The pick up junk guys would charge a couple hundred. Who else would pick up a 13 year old Sears mower for cheap or free?

It's 12 or 13 years old so not too shocking. Made a few passes tonight all was well then the blade was suddenly laboring to cut. Unengaged the blade and it started up and the motor was running fine. Engaged the blade again and it grounded down, lost power and shut down and I guess died as it now won't start. I assume it's not worth trying to repair I can buy new one for under $1K. I wonder if someone like Home Depot would haul away the old one for free if I buy a new one. The pick up junk guys would charge a couple hundred. Who else would pick up a 13 year old Sears mower for cheap or free?

Latest solution.
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=sears+lawn+mower+for+sale

tongue.gif

I have a 16 year old Murray rider that I still use. It cost $800 + tax in 2003.
It still does a decent job, lucky me.
In some ways I wish it would die so I can buy a new one, but part of me wants to see how long it'll last.
Where we live, there's a couple of guys that drive around before trash pickup day hunting for scrap metal, and take almost anything.
I heard there can be disputes over other scrappers infringing on our guys territory.

Thoughts and prayers?

How old are you? If you're under 70 and don't have any health issues, you ought to walk like a man when you mow. Frequently, I'll play 18 holes on foot and then come home and mow on foot later that day.

How old are you? If you're under 70 and don't have any health issues, you ought to walk like a man when you mow. Frequently, I'll play 18 holes on foot and then come home and mow on foot later that day.
I've seen you mow . . .

imowrmi632p.jpg

I'm under 70 and healthy enough to mow, but I prefer to do yard work in a supervisory capacity. This consists of me sitting on the front, back or side decks sipping something on the rocks and giving expert instructions to the wife, sons, son-in-law and eventually the grand kids. They should feel fortunate I allow them to use a motorized, self propelled mower instead of one of these...

manual-lawn-mower-500x500.jpg

I'm under 70 and healthy enough to mow, but I prefer to do yard work in a supervisory capacity. This consists of me sitting on the front, back or side decks sipping something on the rocks and giving expert instructions to the wife, sons, son-in-law and eventually the grand kids. They should feel fortunate I allow them to use a motorized, self propelled mower instead of one of these...

manual-lawn-mower-500x500.jpg
I don't use a self-propelled mower because they tend to lock up on me at times. We have a sizable lot, but it only takes me about 70 minutes to mow it on foot. What I hate to do is edge.

Riding is for whimps!

He push mows an entire acre in under 80 minutes while his dentist buddy trims and edges.

I don't use a self-propelled mower because they tend to lock up on me at times. We have a sizable lot, but it only takes me about 70 minutes to mow it on foot. What I hate to do is edge.

Holy schit, did I call this or what?

I'm buying a lottery ticket.

Reactions: cryano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT