ADVERTISEMENT

Politico: Roe to be overturned per draft opinion

Good grief. Presidents appoint justices to open seats with consent of the senate. Nobody is stacking the court.

You apparently didn't follow along

When Obama tried, gop said you can't appoint one during an election year.

Low and behold, they allowed Trump to appoint one weeks before the election.

So yes, they stacked the court with their bull shit

Either Gorsuch or ACB are "illegitimate". You can't have it both ways.
Neither happens without an open seat. There's plenty of slime around what happened, but it was an open seat. "Stacking the court" means something totally different than filling an open seat when a justice steps down, no matter how its handled in the senate.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Before you go there. First, understand the decision on abortion will be returned to the states. Therefore, the Roe ruling will stand in some states and may be overturned in others. check your own state‘s position on abortion.
I understand this, but this a continued rollback of women's right. Over 70 percent in this country favor some form of abortion.

The Christian Taliban in this country have way too much influence. Gay rights will be next.

Tell me this. What prevents a far right Congress from codifying the outlaw of abortion?

Neither happens without an open seat. There's plenty of slime around what happened, but it was an open seat. "Stacking the court" means something totally different than filling an open seat when a justice steps down, no matter how its handled in the senate.
Fair point on the semantics.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Fair point on the semantics.
Hey, look. I agree 100% that it was a BS hypocritical maneuver to try and do it both ways. McConnell is a scumbag of the highest order, but that wasn't creating seats out of thin air.

Majority of the land favors a right to choose, but as usual the far right wackos are now in charge.

You all do such a great job supporting kids right up until they're born. Then it's pull yourself up by your bootstraps time.
Oh, a kid will be poor, so let's kill him.

Great logic.

If you think the majority approve of the 'right to choose', you should be thrilled that the decsion will go to the states, where they can make it law.

Reactions: 76-1 and snarlcakes
Hey, look. I agree 100% that it was a BS hypocritical maneuver to try and do it both ways. McConnell is a scumbag of the highest order, but that wasn't creating seats out of thin air.

Didn't say they created seats. They illegally stacked the seats that opened up

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
The individual who leaked is ether one of the worst people imaginable or crazy beyond imagination. It an absolutely despicable act. As an attorney, I have always viewed the Supreme Court the one honorable an incorruptible institution of our government
I understand this, but this a continued rollback of women's right. Over 70 percent in this country favor some form of abortion.

The Christian Taliban in this country have way too much influence. Gay rights will be next.

Tell me this. What prevents a far right Congress from codifying the outlaw of abortion?
A majority in the House and 50+ votes the in Senate. More votes if the President were to veto their bill.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

Tell me this. Why should an irresponsible person be able to have the brains sucked out of a baby just because she (or he now, I am told) got too drunk one night, or finds it's an inconvenient time to have a child?

You are being ridiculous. Abortion is not being banned. It's being left up to the states - you know, closer to what the people want, which is the democracy you all are so scared you're losing.
Closer to what you want. Don't act like you speak for the people.

I know, that is tough since you don't think women should be able to speak for themselves;)

• Haha
Nothing fun about this, but maybe people will storm the inside of the supreme court since peaceful storming of buildings is now acceptable.
Peaceful storming of a building gets you solitary confinement for months without charges.

Oh wait - that's just for Republicans.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sassy61

Was Obama running for re-election like Trump was?

Tell me this. Why should an irresponsible person be able to have the brains sucked out of a baby just because she (or he now, I am told) got too drunk one night, or finds it's an inconvenient time to have a child?
Well if she got too drunk and became pregnant she was raped. Not that I expect you would care.

You would probably be there holding her hand telling her it was God's Will she became pregnant while drunk raped.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs and DANC

You mean Mitch outsmarted Obama?

I thought Obama was the master politician?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
I can't believe he's in the majority as it is. If he were, he would have assigned the writing of the opinion to himself. It's Alito, Thomas, and the three Trump justices. It's the culmination of McConnell's career efforts.
I haven't heard the specific vote - have you?

Didn't say they created seats. They illegally stacked the seats that opened up
Stacking the court means adding new seats and it's something members of the democratic party have advocated.

What they did wasn't illegal. You can thank Harry Reid for doing away with the filibuster when the dems had control. Another scumbag in the senate majority leader chair.

The legislative branch has been conceding power to the executive branch for years and now we're reaping what's been sown.

Nothing prevents it. If the country wants a far right Congress, that's what democracy looks like!

Reactions: Sassy61
Women can speak for themselves. They can choose to have sex or not. 97% of abortions are a choice, not from rape or incest. Again, women can choose not to have sex.
So you want to tell the 3 percent too bad? Your numbers are so inconsequential it really doesn't matter.

I haven't heard the specific vote - have you?

No. But I wasn't the one who claimed to think Roberts would change his mind. I just have a good understanding of how the Court works, and Alito writing the majority opinion tells me Roberts isn't among them. The votes I listed are the only way I can imagine they get to five votes.

No. But I wasn't the one who claimed to think Roberts would change his mind. I just have a good understanding of how the Court works, and Alito writing the majority opinion tells me Roberts isn't among them. The votes I listed are the only way I can imagine they get to five votes.
They could get to 6 votes. I think it's likely Roberts voted with the majority - or was planning to.

By the way, Clarence Thomas would write the opinion for the majority if Roberts votes in the minority, since Thomas is senior Justice in the majority.

Reactions: iuwclurker
So you want to tell the 3 percent too bad? Your numbers are so inconsequential it really doesn't matter.

No. I would say the 3% should be able to choose since they were not given a choice. I want them to choose life, but if we can save 97-98% of babies now, that is a great start. We can create some programs to try and save as many of the rest.

By the way, Clarence Thomas would write the opinion for the majority if Roberts votes in the minority, since Thomas is senior Justice in the majority.

I don't think that's necessarily so (BICBW). Granted, it would usually go to the senior Justice, but I don't think that's a hard and fast rule. There's no fvcking way Thomas doesn't vote to overturn Roe.

The country needs to be split up into 3 regional groupings for it to be functional again. West, Central and Eastern regions. Like an EU super-grouping.

It's already voting like that.

Has just outgrown its 50 state-federated system. It's all gridlock now. And with no accountability.
It is anachronistic.

I don't think that's necessarily so (BICBW). Granted, it would usually go to the senior Justice, but I don't think that's a hard and fast rule. There's no fvcking way Thomas doesn't vote to overturn Roe.
Yes, either he writes it or, I suppose, could authorize another majority justice to write it, like Alito. That's why I said Thomas would write it - he would certainly vote to overturn, thank, God.

Individual Justices often write their own opinions - they all can, as far as I know. But one would speak for the majority and one for the minority.

I don't know what BICBW means?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT