ADVERTISEMENT

Please use some hindsight folks.

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
I have said for years that the two greatest mistakes in IU sports annals was firing Bill Mallory and then firing Mike Davis. Watching these teams over the last 30 some years just solidifies my views. The ADs have run out of excuses for their bumbling, their stumbling and their ineptitude.

Reactions: edub72
I have said for years that the two greatest mistakes in IU sports annals was firing Bill Mallory and then firing Mike Davis. Watching these teams over the last 30 some years just solidifies my views. The ADs have run out of excuses for their bumbling, their stumbling and their ineptitude.
Interesting take

These Mike Davis fans are on another level.
The guy is 0-23 this year. His record since leaving IU is 296-273.

I was at the school and around the program at the end. Trust me. It wasn’t going anywhere good.

I agree wholeheartedly with your view on Bill Mallory. But, Mike Davis? Come on man!

lol

Mike Davis didn't get fired. He stopped going to games b/c of all the death threats.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Disagree that Davis was the guy but in retrospect we might as well have kept Crean. We could hardly be worse off. No I'm not saying I want Crean back, or that he didn't need to go.

I didn’t know Mike Davis still had defenders. I feel like firing up my Ipod and listening to The Killers on some wired headphones tucked into my boot cut jeans.
I have defended him forever. Hand picked by Knight. Great defensive player and coach. (SEC defensive player of the year)Got us to within 9 minutes of winning it all. Had the same record over his five years that Knight had over his last five. Recruited quality kids like Dr. Marshall Strickland and DJ White. And when he was at full strength, he rarely lost. The DJ White injury was devastating. And recruiting 3 Mr. Basketballs, Wright from Texas, Strickland from Maryland and Perry from Louisiana all in the same year is impressive
And guess what, he took his players to church on Sundays and other then a snafu by Perry in his last year, his kids were scandal free. What more did you want from the guy?

I have defended him forever. Hand picked by Knight. Great defensive player and coach. (SEC defensive player of the year)Got us to within 9 minutes of winning it all. Had the same record over his five years that Knight had over his last five. Recruited quality kids like Dr. Marshall Strickland and DJ White. And when he was at full strength, he rarely lost. The DJ White injury was devastating. And recruiting 3 Mr. Basketballs, Wright from Texas, Strickland from Maryland and Perry from Louisiana all in the same year is impressive
And guess what, he took his players to church on Sundays and other then a snafu by Perry in his last year, his kids were scandal free. What more did you want from the guy?

And he has done SO well since leaving IU! :rolleyes:
Even he said he was in over his head or something like that.

Mike Davis? Really? Didn't you mean Kelvin Sampson?

Mike Davis? 24 years as a D1 head coach and he has a 54% winning percentage. No thank you. If you meant Bob Knight, then I agree, because that matches Mallory in that he was literally half the program's value if not more.

Disagree that Davis was the guy but in retrospect we might as well have kept Crean. We could hardly be worse off. No I'm not saying I want Crean back, or that he didn't need to go.
That’s actually a decent point. He might have that pesky 2-3 zone almost figured out by now.

IU was 13-10 when Davis said he would not return and the team finished 6-2 down the stretch, earning a 6 seed in the tournament and beating San Diego State in the first round before losing to Gonzaga. He left Sampson with a decent roster.

Even Coach Knight was losing to teams that he should not have lost to in his final years. The game was changing, but his approach was not.
I’ll agree that ‘performances’ may have been declining, but I sure miss those +20 win seasons and post-season invites😔

I’ll agree that ‘performances’ may have been declining, but I sure miss those +20 win seasons and post-season invites😔
Knight’s last few seasons, yeah they were 20 wins, or barely over. They also had 11 or 12 losses. And the post season invites? Yeah, it was awesome getting blasted in the first round every year.

RMK was here a couple years too long and should have been gone under much better circumstances.

Even Coach Knight was losing to teams that he should not have lost to in his final years. The game was changing, but his approach was not.
Yet we still made the tourney every single year. I can’t even imagine making the tourney every year.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Knight’s last few seasons, yeah they were 20 wins, or barely over. They also had 11 or 12 losses. And the post season invites? Yeah, it was awesome getting blasted in the first round every year.

RMK was here a couple years too long and should have been gone under much better circumstances.
The recruiting was bad.

Reactions: CriticArisen
The recruiting was bad.
Seems like it started to go to shit with the 94 or 95 class. Seems like we decided to go national with recruiting and got Patterson and Miller and all those guys. At least it seems like we weren’t focused on IN and the Midwest as much as we used to be.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Southern Indiana fan, so I've heard it all about who's better IU, U of L or UK.
Well. I no longer have a dog in that hunt. Maybe it is time to give Pitino a shot.
Hell, he has won big at the for mentioned universities.

Southern Indiana fan, so I've heard it all about who's better IU, U of L or UK.
Well. I no longer have a dog in that hunt. Maybe it is time to give Pitino a shot.
Hell, he has won big at the for mentioned universities.
Pitino isnt leaving NYC and that salary. IU lost their chance with him. Time to kiss Chris Beard's and Thad Mattas buttox.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT