ADVERTISEMENT

PG by committee

Miller will likely look at some spots where he can play Langford, Green and Phinisee together. I believe these three could create some havoc on the court and some nightmares for some opponents.
Probably not much though, 6'3 wings with short arms (DV only has a 6'5" or 6'6" wingspan IIRC) can be a liability in a pack line. Arch has pointed out more than once that the two wing positions are going to be manned by taller longer players and cited a 6'3 wing as a negative in that defense. Of course it depends on matchups, effectiveness and a 100 other circumstances like everything in basketball, but the days of playing shorter twos and threes are basically over or going to be rare.

Probably not much though, 6'3 wings with short arms (DV only has a 6'5" or 6'6" wingspan IIRC) can be a liability in a pack line. Arch has pointed out more than once that the two wing positions are going to be manned by taller longer players and cited a 6'3 wing as a negative in that defense. Of course it depends on matchups, effectiveness and a 100 other circumstances like everything in basketball, but the days of playing shorter twos and threes are basically over or going to be rare.

I get that, but the pre-conference season is the perfect opportunity to test how a slower, more-methodical team reacts to a high-octane offensive set of these three. It's not a perfect set-up for many situations but it could well have its place. Creating chaos and confusion can be a good thing. Keeping an opponent off-balance is something I think Miller can use effectively with these three. Miller, unlike Crean, will want to create situations where other teams are reacting to us.

I get that, but the pre-conference season is the perfect opportunity to test how a slower, more-methodical team reacts to a high-octane offensive set of these three. It's not a perfect set-up for many situations but it could well have its place. Creating chaos and confusion can be a good thing. Keeping an opponent off-balance is something I think Miller can use effectively with these three. Miller, unlike Crean, will want to create situations where other teams are reacting to us.
Yea, I get ya .. Wasn't arguing or criticizing, just bleating bball talk because I'm bored.

fwiw - Virginia has had a 6'3 guy in that position for three years and finished 1st in defense, so yea, there's always exceptions. But, they also had a shot blocker/rim protector so they can cheat to the 3 line a bit more and 6'5 PG that they can switch over if need be. We'll need to cover a bit more space than they do on the perimeter but those shots that ISU and FW burnt us on, probably won't be there this year.

We need a shot blocker in the post position, badly. It's the rare hardest to fill but key piece of a packline defense. If we ever get one the intensity will bump up drastically and we'll trap much more.

Reactions: IUTim
Yea, I get ya .. Wasn't arguing or criticizing, just bleating bball talk because I'm bored.

fwiw - Virginia has had a 6'3 guy in that position for three years and finished 1st in defense, so yea, there's always exceptions. But, they also had a shot blocker/rim protector so they can cheat to the 3 line a bit more and 6'5 PG that they can switch over if need be. We'll need to cover a bit more space than they do on the perimeter but those shots that ISU and FW burnt us on, probably won't be there this year.

We need a shot blocker in the post position, badly. It's the rare hardest to fill but key piece of a packline defense. If we ever get one the intensity will bump up drastically and we'll trap much more.
We agree on this. I don't think IU will win consistently until they get that BIG guy like when they had Cody.

Reactions: IUTim
We agree on this. I don't think IU will win consistently until they get that BIG guy like when they had Cody.
It doesn't even need to be someone that skilled. If you ever look at how Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia have recruited and developed that role consistently. They tend to trade offense skill for the ability to protect the rim, and recruit multiple projects generally to develop and fill it. The freshman shot blockers with offensive skills are generally lottery picks and hard to sign..

It doesn't even need to be someone that skilled. If you ever look at how Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia have recruited and developed that role consistently. They tend to trade offense skill for the ability to protect the rim, and recruit multiple projects generally to develop and fill it. The freshman shot blockers with offensive skills are generally lottery picks and hard to sign..

This is spot on, and I think Miller sees Moore, Forrester, and Jackson-Davis in that role. Jackson-Davis being that lottery pick type, while the others develop.

I think Damezi and Hunter have a chance at playing at the 2 or 3, with their ability to shoot the perimeter shot and put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim.

I'm going with Al playing more minutes than anyone at point..

I think he is not only much improved but likely to have the least pressure on him of the 3. Green has to decrease his mistakes, which is a difficult task. Rob has to learn to play PG at a high level as a frosh, which is tough to do, while Also simply needs to shoot better than last year. He is already stronger and has shown the ability to guard the ball as a freshman.

If you have three point guards, you don't have one.

Indiana hasn't had that many really good point guards over the years. Guys like Cov, Guyton, Meeks, Jones III, Hulls, weren't really PGs. Reynolds was a one-sided PG.

Yogi, Thomas, Lewis, Calloway, Buckner.

Could Moore become that guy?

I'm going with Al playing more minutes than anyone at point..
I’m from Washington too. I have an idea who I think you are, but anyways. You’re wrong about this. He’ll have his moments, but he won’t play a lot in many games. He’s a role playing sub...that’s just what he is as long as he’s in the Big Ten. I’d love to be wrong and hope he’s a great PG this year for the Hoosiers but I see Green being the first option and having a good year with the freshman being his backup and having a solid year for a freshman.

I think Damezi and Hunter have a chance at playing at the 2 or 3, with their ability to shoot the perimeter shot and put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim.
A few weeks ago, there was speculation that Hunter could play the 2 with a little work on his handle. I began to wonder if Romeo could be a PG with Hunter as the 2? I don't know if that would be good for Romeo, but it is the type of back court I would love to see. Long guards are hard to pass over and around. They can be more difficult to drive around as well. Archie's pack line defense would like it.

I don't care about 7' centers, but I do like size at the guard positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT