ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins in the portal

CMW looking forward to having names on the roster so he can flesh out next seasons‘s platoon substitution plan.

Galloway is probably the most overated player in IU history. Our coaches hopefully learned their lesson and will recruit over him.

I have no issue at all with our coaches 'recruiting over' Galloway. Get back with me when they do. Also, get back with me when they recruit a top 5 shooter out of the portal. If neither happens, at least get Perkins, Hickman, and L. Walker. These guys are our realistic options, it appears.

Reactions: Tegray1
Reneau is going to have to improve his interior defense but sometimes you have to give some to take some. Better perimeter defense with Perkins and Galloway who can both rebound well for their position should clear up some rim protection issues keeping guys out of the lane.

Not just haisD. Also his rebounding. And the same for MM. They may be enough for some teams, but not all. I don't wanted the kid from France being our back-up plan.

I have no issue at all with our coaches 'recruiting over' Galloway. Get back with me when they do. Also, get back with me when they recruit a top 5 shooter out of the portal. If neither happens, at least get Perkins, Hickman, and L. Walker. These guys are our realistic options, it appears.
You can realistic land all 3 of those guys, start two of them along with Galloway. In fact, it would be wise to do so. Hickman and Walker as your two off-ball guards is about as bad of defensive combination as it gets. Walker isn't a good enough shooter to play off the ball.

He’s got one year of eligibility. We need a PG and he’s good. This won’t help IU “build a program” but we have a lot of open roster spots and TP would help IU win games.

I know Perkins has said IU has reached out to him.....has he said he's interested? If so, have not seen it as yet.

Fortunately....the portal gives Woodson what he is best qualified to coach....a TV dinner roster...just heat and serve. They will have been coached elsewhere by superior coaches, regardless of who they are. The trick is to get production out of them before their skills diminish, ala Kopp or Walker. The law of diminishing returns is in place. So, next year should put an exclamation point on the obvious....if the predictable transpires..

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen
You can realistic land all 3 of those guys, start two of them along with Galloway. In fact, it would be wise to do so. Hickman and Walker as your two off-ball guards is about as bad of defensive combination as it gets. Walker isn't a good enough shooter to play off the ball.
We were playing a guy off the ball that shot 26%.

Perkins, Hickman, Walker, a good defending/rebounding big, Mack stays, AND Jakai Newton is healthy.

With our returning guys, that's a solid NCAA tournament team.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Perkins, Hickman, Walker, a good defending/rebounding big, Mack stays, AND Jakai Newton is healthy.

No. We need the 6 7 kid from Belmont. We need 5 legit volume 3 point shooters.

Reactions: edub72
He can't play the wing. He can't shoot. He is a bench energy guy.
He shot 58% on his 2 point attempts. He's shot a high % on 2s 3/4 years, and 48% the other year. If he shoots 34% on 3s and 65% on FTs next year, which is realistic, he's a valuable player. If he starts the year and 10 games in he's shooting 26%/53%. I agree its time to go with Plan B.

Maybe but who knows. We thought this years team was a solid ncaa team on paper. Lots of what if's in your scenario that all have to happen.

Then why the hell are you advocating for Leland Walker? He's not a volume 3 point shooter nor somebody you want taking a bunch of 3 pointers.
35% is better than 26%. What did Trey shoot the year before 46% Mr. Galloway? Again Sara Scalia can shoot free throws for him? Is missing free throws counting as efficient in your world?

35% is better than 26%. What did Trey shoot the year before 46% Mr. Galloway? Again Sara Scalia can shoot free throws for him? Is missing free throws counting as efficient in your world?
34% on low volume isn't crap especially when you don't defend or do anything else particularly well. He's a solid starting PG in the Ohio Valley and a rotational player in the B10. He's certainly not a starting 2 guard.

I’d like to see IU make the tourney next year, but also have a base of players who will be returning the following season so we don’t need to do a big reset again after the end of next year.

Reactions: .Gerdis
No. We need the 6 7 kid from Belmont. We need 5 legit volume 3 point shooters.

That Belmont team must have been crazy to watch. 3 high level talents in Gillespie, Tyson & Dia and they finished 20-13 and 12-8 in the MVC. It appears that they played 0 defense.

34% on low volume isn't crap especially when you don't defend or do anything else particularly well. He's a solid starting PG in the Ohio Valley and a rotational player in the B10. He's certainly not a starting 2 guard.
We're Elijah Hawkins and Ace Baldwin starting power 5 point guards before this year. You sound like you recruited for this staff last year. Is Gabe Cupps a P5 point guard? No. You can't project based on analytics. Watch some games and video.

We're Elijah Hawkins and Ace Baldwin starting power 5 point guards before thus year. You sound like you recruited for this staff last year. Is Gabe Cupps a P5 point guard? No. You can't project based on analytics. Watch some games and video.
As a North Central alum I watched Walker for 4 years and have followed his career throughout EKU. Solid player. He's not a starting B10 PG, let alone a starting 2 guard.

But thus you think Galloway is.
I've stated repeatedly where/how Galloway fits on a starting P5 team. And it's worked.

Don't ask him to be your high usage/lead guard and he ends up being a pretty damn good and valuable piece. But you knew that already.

As a North Central alum I watched Walker for 4 years and have followed his career throughout EKU. Solid player. He's not a starting B10 PG, let alone a starting 2 guard.
Have you ever heard of competing for playing time? It's new to IU football and maybe IU basketball can adopt it from the past.

Have you ever heard of competing for playing time? It's new to IU football and maybe IU basketball can adopt it from the past.
Absolutely. I would welcome Leland Walker to Bloomington. I think he's a slightly better scoring version of Gabe Cupps with a better scorer's mentality. Should be able to be a nice 15 minute rotational piece while making some decent money. If he wants to be a P5 starting PG he probably needs to commit to DePaul today while on his visit.

Absolutely. I would welcome Leland Walker to Bloomington. I think he's a slightly better scoring version of Gabe Cupps with a better scorer's mentality. Should be able to be a nice 15 minute rotational piece while making some decent money. If he wants to be a P5 starting PG he probably needs to commit to DePaul today while on his visit.
He sees the floor much better than Cupps.

Watch video Mr. Analytics.
I've seen both play with my own eyes over 30 times. Cupps is much more of a floor general than Walker. Walker is an attack first, scoring PG. Walker looks better on video playing in a bad conference than Cupps does as a freshman playing in the B10 without a perimeter cast. Again, you knew that though.

He's a year older with a lot more playing time and experience under his belt by virtue of playing in a smaller conference. Stop box score watching.

Your burden of proof is pretty high here.

Per every 40M LW's #s are 21.7 pts, 5.7 assists. 3.8 rebs, 1.5 steals, while shooting .470/.342/.832. LW shot 111 3s, Cupps 19.

Cupp's #s are 4.8 pts, 2.3 assists. 3.4 rebounds, 1.2 steals, while shooting .367/.359/.615.

Cupps does have the advantage with fewer TOs....1.5 v. 3.5

I get the small school aspect, but Walker was first team all-conference in his league. Cupps....was not.

I also get the 1st year player v. 2nd year player, but LW's 1st year #s were far superior to GC's.

Given that we have no half court offense, I'd like to see a guard who pushes the ball.

He's a lot quicker than Cupps. He also makes some passes that I don't see Cupps making, like the lobs to Ware.

The only real down side I see is that he could be out of control on occasion. He's really the opposite from Cupps in that regard....and his height. I doubt he's the listed 6'1".

Like you I like him as a 15M rotational piece, mostly playing PG.

Nope...just want back in the NCAA tournament again next year. And Trey would be a good "5th starter" for a solid NCAA tournament team, like he was last year.

If we were in a different spot as a program, and had legit Final Four expectations, obviously you look at Trey a little differently. But solidifying the program, and getting back to the NCAA tournament would be a successful year next year, in my opinion.
A team full of one year rental players does not solidify the program, it gets you by for one year. It does appear, though, that IU’s administration agrees with you in that making the tournament is good enough…

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT