ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins in the portal

Every lineup has that guy who makes the extra pass, that is always in the right position, brings leadership to the floor, and wins the 50/50 play that is invaluable to a teams success that doesn’t show up in the box score.
when your job description is shooting guard, one of the main things expected of you is the ability to shoot.

Reactions: .Gerdis and Tegray1
He’s got one year of eligibility. We need a PG and he’s good. This won’t help IU “build a program” but we have a lot of open roster spots and TP would help IU win games.

when your job description is shooting guard, one of the main things expected of you is the ability to shoot.
He averaged 9/3/3 as a 4th/5th option in the B10 2 years ago on 48/46% as plus defender. Literally every single team in America would take that efficiency from their 5th option. Every. Damn.One. This idea that every man in the starting lineup needs to average 15 points on 15 shots a game doesn't jive in reality. Roster construction and guys playing specific roles is the key to success.

And he's not a "shooting" guard. He's a combo guard who can handle the ball and score at the rim all while playing good perimeter defense. Put him along side a steady PG in Perkins and an elite shooter/scorer opposite of him and absolutely works in any single rotation. He is the ultimate glue guy. Every good team in America has a glue guy that starts and plays 25-30 mpg.

Reactions: nichlee
And he's not a "shooting" guard. He's a combo guard who can handle the ball and score at the rim all while playing good perimeter defense. Put him along side a steady PG in Perkins and an elite shooter/scorer opposite of him and absolutely works in any single rotation. He is the ultimate glue guy. Every good team in America has a glue guy that starts and plays 25-30 mpg.
I'm not anti-Galloway he would do well in a role playing 15-20 minutes a game. if he's playing 30-35, we are a mid-level team at best.

I'm not anti-Galloway he would do well in a role playing 15-20 minutes a game. if he's playing 30-35, we are a mid-level team at best.
If you can find a guy who can buy into that 5th role that is an upgrade over Galloway on both ends of the floor I'm all for it. But good luck. Again, Galloway brings invaluable intangibles that will never show up in a box score. I know that's hard for some to people to understand but there's a lot of people out there that don't know ball.

Perkins makes a lot of sense to me. B10 proven. Indianapolis native. He has the body to defend at a high level. He’s been on the back burner to the Mcaffrey kids. He’s earned a starting job without having to look over his shoulder. I wish we had him instead of Xavier the last few years.

He averaged 9/3/3 as a 4th/5th option in the B10 2 years ago on 48/46% as plus defender. Literally every single team in America would take that efficiency from their 5th option. Every. Damn.One. This idea that every man in the starting lineup needs to average 15 points on 15 shots a game doesn't jive in reality. Roster construction and guys playing specific roles is the key to success.
He has proven he's a bench player not a starter. Give me Walker and Perkins. Perkins is a better shooter and defender. He averaged a half a steal more per game.

If you can find a guy who can buy into that 5th role that is an upgrade over Galloway on both ends of the floor I'm all for it. But good luck. Again, Galloway brings invaluable intangibles that will never show up in a box score. I know that's hard for some to people to understand but there's a lot of people out there that don't know ball.
This entire argument is BS. Connor Hickman can actually shoot. We need multiple players that will not allow three players to guard Malik in the post. Shooting is more important then intangibles. Bring intangibles off the bench.

This entire argument is BS. Connor Hickman can actually shoot. We need multiple players that will not allow three players to guard Malik in the post. Shooting is more important then intangibles. Bring intangibles off the bench.
Start Perkins, Hickman AND Galloway. Bring Walker off the bench. Perkins, Hickman, and Galloway give you 3 perimeter ball handlers and a mixture of shooting AND scoring with Galloway and Perkins being high level defenders who rebound well for their position. Mgbako as a stretch 4 that can space the floor which gives Reneau room to work in single coverage in the paint.

Position-less basketball with a variety of skills and roles. A novel concept I know. That's how good rosters are constructed. Looking for 5 high volume shooters and scorers who are all looking to be the "guy" is going to lead to another disaster.

he also can't shoot and makes horrible turnovers. people that don't know ball see those things as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think we’d be lucky to get him. He was upset that we didn’t recruit him in high school. He played with CJ, so not sure he’ll be giving a ringing endorsement

Exactly right
His D is okay, shooting is VERY streaky, and he needs a lot of work with his ball handling.

To his credit he looks to run the offense but was not a PG until this season.

Good kid either way.

Start Perkins, Hickman AND Galloway. Bring Walker off the bench. Perkins, Hickman, and Galloway give you 3 perimeter ball handlers and a mixture of shooting AND scoring with Galloway and Perkins being high level defenders who rebound well for their position. Mgbako as a stretch 4 that can space the floor which gives Reneau room to work in single coverage in the paint.

Position-less basketball with a variety of skills and roles. A novel concept I know. That's how good rosters are constructed. Looking for 5 high volume shooters and scorers who are all looking to be the "guy" is going to lead to another disaster.
Walker can score and shoot 3's and facilitate. He was asked to play point guard because he can't shoot from the wing. Teams were leaving him wide open and sagging. They were begging him to shoot. 46% in a low volume roll. Is this his dad or Coach Geez's new account?

Do you like Hickman from Bradley?
Good shooter but he'll have troyble getting open against the tougher competition he'd face at IU. Plus, our offense will do nothing to help him get open. I'd take him as an off the bench shooter but I couldn't see him playing more than 8-9 min per game.

Reactions: Willdog7
Walker can score and shoot 3's and facilitate. He was asked to play point guard because he can't shoot from the wing. Teams were leaving him wide open and sagging. They were begging him to shoot. 46% in a low volume roll. Is this his dad or Coach Geez's new account?
I've had this account going on 5 years, what are you talking about? Walker is an inefficient high volume shooter who can't defend. If you think Walker is more suitable to play the 4th/5th man role on a B10 team then I'm done arguing because you don't shit about shit.

Good shooter but he'll have troyble getting open against the tougher competition he'd face at IU. Plus, our offense will do nothing to help him get open. I'd take him as an off the bench shooter but I couldn't see him playing more than 8-9 min per game.
Hickman would keep the defense honest against the double and triple team. We need multiple players that can do that. Currently we have Mgbako and he may not be here. Hickman could play like a CJ Wilcher role but a better defender and assist person.

...and blocks out and fights for rebounds...

I've had this account going on 5 years, what are you talking about? Walker is an inefficient high volume shooter who can't defend. If you think Walker is more suitable to play the 4th/5th man role on a B10 team then I'm done arguing because you don't shit about shit.
Yeah he's so inefficient he shoots 34% from 3 and 83% on free throws in his second year not his 4th year.

He’s got one year of eligibility. We need a PG and he’s good. This won’t help IU “build a program” but we have a lot of open roster spots and TP would help IU win games.
I dont think woodson has any intention of building a program he treats the program like nba free agency. Very hrd to just throw a team togethr each spring and expect them to come together really fast. It is not how you build long term success but woodson is just looking to survive and will buy as many players as he can.

Yeah he's so inefficient he shoots 34% from 3 and 83% on free throws in his second year not his 4th year.
In a lesser conference on low volume. He's 6 foot 170 lbs. He's a terrible defender. If you think this guy is going to be a more efficient two-way play in a 4th/5th man role over somebody like Trey Galloway you should be banned from posting on here.

Perkins fits the mold of the exact type of point guard we need. Solid shooter, and scorer at all 3 levels. Solid defender. But probably most importantly, he's high energy, and probably doesn't need to be "coached up" in that area.

I haven't really paid attention to all the other guys being mentioned, but Perkins would be a great start to filling our roster out how it needs to be filled out. Only box he doesn't check is he's a 1 year player. We need at least a few of the portal guys we get to have multiple years of eligibility.

Perkins fits the mold of the exact type of point guard we need. Solid shooter, and scorer at all 3 levels. Solid defender. But probably most importantly, he's high energy, and probably doesn't need to be "coached up" in that area.

I haven't really paid attention to all the other guys being mentioned, but Perkins would be a great start to filling our roster out how it needs to be filled out. Only box he doesn't check is he's a 1 year player. We need at least a few of the portal guys we get to have multiple years of eligibility.
People over thinking this are brain dead. 14/5/5 would by far and away be the best production of of a PG since Yogi. We've had inconsistent to downright bad PG play in the 8 seasons since he's graduated.

In a lesser conference on low volume. He's 6 foot 170 lbs. He's a terrible defender. If you think this guy is going to be a more efficient two-way play in a 4th/5th man role over somebody like Trey Galloway you should be banned from posting on here.
Galloway is probably the most overated player in IU history. Our coaches hopefully learned their lesson and will recruit over him.

• Haha
People over thinking this are brain dead. 14/5/5 would by far and away be the best production of of a PG since Yogi. We've had inconsistent to downright bad PG play in the 8 seasons since he's graduated.
There are "better" PGs out there...but for what we need, there probably aren't more than a couple better fits for IU.

There are "better" PGs out there...but for what we need, there probably aren't more than a couple better fits for IU.
Sure there are more dynamic PG's out there (see Malik Mack). But from a two-way and consistency standpoint, going to be tough to find a more reliable PG than Tony Perkins who was voted 2nd team All-B10 in this same conference just two weeks ago.

Galloway is probably the most overated player in IU history. Our coaches hopefully learned their lesson and will recruit over him.
Except when he drops 28 on Kansas. And has a multi game stretch of averaging up near 10 assists a game. Or when he goes an entire season shooting nearly 50% from the three.

Trey needs to be one of our wings, surrounded by 1) A good PG 2)a couple scorer/shooters 3)a good big

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Gabe, Jakai, Anthony

That's a good start. Fill it out with versatile 2 way players that can knock down 3s, and probably do need another quality depth big man.

lol, you're advocating Leland Walker who was inefficient on a bad team in low level conference who doesn't play defense. Let that sink in.
Yes. Someone who is getting better vs. Someone who waa never good. I really want Ryan Conwell but he may go to St. Louis.

Except when he drops 28 on Kansas. And has a multi game stretch of averaging up near 10 assists a game. Or when he goes an entire season shooting nearly 50% from the three.

Trey needs to be one of our wings, surrounded by 1) A good PG 2)a couple scorer/shooters 3)a good big

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Gabe, Jakai, Anthony

That's a good start. Fill it out with versatile 2 way players that can knock down 3s, and probably do need another quality depth big man.
You guys must really want to suck again. How about the 1-14 from 3 point range stretch. Too bad we couldn't sub Sara Scalia to shoot free throws for him.

Do you really think Woodson will recruit over Galloway or that he will play in a bench role next year?

You guys must really want to suck again. How about the 1-14 from 3 point range stretch. Too bad we couldn't sub Sara Scalia to shoot free throws for him.
I'm fine with Galloway's 9/3/3 48/47% B10 campaign 2 years ago in which he was literally one of the most efficient players in the country.

Yes. Someone who is getting better vs. Someone who waa never good. I really want Ryan Conwell but he may go to St. Louis.
Again, you can get Conwell and STILL start Trey Galloway, JFC. Galloway is not a lead two guard. He's fine when he isn't a lead 2 guard.

Nope...just want back in the NCAA tournament again next year. And Trey would be a good "5th starter" for a solid NCAA tournament team, like he was last year.

If we were in a different spot as a program, and had legit Final Four expectations, obviously you look at Trey a little differently. But solidifying the program, and getting back to the NCAA tournament would be a successful year next year, in my opinion.

Reactions: smitty3725
Nope...just want back in the NCAA tournament again next year. And Trey would be a good "5th starter" for a solid NCAA tournament team, like he was last year.

If we were in a different spot as a program, and had legit Final Four expectations, obviously you look at Trey a little differently. But solidifying the program, and getting back to the NCAA tournament would be a successful year next year, in my opinion.
This mentality is hilarious. Are you going to bring TJD and JHS back to get him there? Woodson just did that. He won't survive that again.

Agree with this 90%.......................watching Hickman's highlights... can handle it, is tough, and unselfish. Looks much more like a pg than I had expected. And Hickman and MM (hopefully) are shooters, while Perkins and Galloway are drivers/scorers/defenders. Also really like the idea of adding Walker to the mix.

Only thing I disagree with is the thought of MR and MM being our interior defenders. That could work against some teams, but definitely not all. I do think we need to add a 6'9" rebounder/defender type in the portal (even if we would get the freshman from France).

This mentality is hilarious. Are you going to bring TJD and JHS back to get him there? Woodson just did that. He won't survive that again.
Don't need too.

-Perkins from an efficiency and consistency standpoint is an upgrade at the point guard position over JHS who had plenty of clunkers + plays actually plays defense

-high level scoring 2 guard who can shoot volume from 3 (Warrick NKU/Blackmon Stetson/Hickman Bradley/Conway ISU (if he enters)

-glue guy in Galloway

-Mgbako sophomore jump becomes a more consistent 3 level scorer and competent defender

-Reneau Elite level interior scorer; should easily be All-B10

Tucker, defensive 5 transfer, Leland Walker, Cupps and potentially a transfer forward for depth. Probably not winning the national title with that roster but definitely a vast improvement and properly constructed roster from last season.

Agree with this 90%.......................watching Hickman's highlights... can handle it, is tough, and unselfish. Looks much more like a pg than I had expected. And Hickman and MM (hopefully) are shooters, while Perkins and Galloway are drivers/scorers/defenders. Also really like the idea of adding Walker to the mix.

Only thing I disagree with is the thought of MR and MM being our interior defenders. That could work against some teams, but definitely not all. I do think we need to add a 6'9" rebounder/defender type in the portal (even if we would get the freshman from France).
Reneau is going to have to improve his interior defense but sometimes you have to give some to take some. Better perimeter defense with Perkins and Galloway who can both rebound well for their position should clear up some rim protection issues keeping guys out of the lane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT