ADVERTISEMENT

People will throw out Randle El…

ce36ei

Senior
Sep 14, 2019
Offensive assistant under Bruce Ariens. Worked with Brady and won a Super Bowl.

Wide Receivers coach for the Lions under Dan Campbell. High levels of success from that position group.

Would be an absolute wildcard that could go horribly good or bad. Would generate lots of fan interest. Probably not cost a lot either. Would absolutely require elite coordinators.

I love ARE. He is the reason I grew up an IU football fan. However, he would be a huge gamble as HC. Like the post above said, it would really depend on who he could pull on his staff.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Offensive assistant under Bruce Ariens. Worked with Brady and won a Super Bowl.

Wide Receivers coach for the Lions under Dan Campbell. High levels of success from that position group.

Would be an absolute wildcard that could go horribly good or bad. Would generate lots of fan interest. Probably not cost a lot either. Would absolutely require elite coordinators.
Isn't ARE on record for saying he wished he never played because of post career health issues? Makes me question his commitment.

If we hire ARE, it shows the university isn't serious about football.

He's not some Deion type hire. Outside of the hardcores here, kids wouldn't know until told he even played here.

I wish people would stop bringing him up.

If we hire ARE, it shows the university isn't serious about football.

He's not some Deion type hire. Outside of the hardcores here, kids wouldn't know until told he even played here.

I wish people would stop bringing him up.
Hiring Tom Allen, particularly in the manner in which we did it, showed the University isn’t serious about football. Keeping him after this season would demonstrate the same thing.

I like Randle El. No to hiring him, or anyone without head man experience. Particularly college experience. I like some of names people have mentioned from the level such as MAC schools, even DII.

It'll be very sad if Tom Allen remains the coach. (I felt with two wins, starting with Rutgers, he may keep his job. I'm a bit worried if we get two, but I will never root against us to win. )The fact that nothing has already been leaked is a bit disturbing. Got to get the next coaching team in to recruit. I guess maybe the 'keep it quiet until 10 minutes after the last snap of the Purdue game' is better. I wouldn't wait that long.

Last edited:
I like Randle El. No to hiring him, or anyone without head man experience. Particularly college experience. I like some of names people have mentioned from the level such as MAC schools, even DII.

It'll be very sad if Tom Allen remains the coach. (I felt with two wins, starting with Rutgers, he may keep his job. I'm a bit worried if we get two, but I will never root against us to win. )The fact that nothing has already been leaked is a bit disturbing. Got to get the next coaching team in to recruit. I guess maybe the 'keep it quiet until 10 minutes after the last snap of the Ppurdue game' is better. I wouldn't wait that long.
Firing him now wouldn’t allow us to jump,the line and hire a truly qualified coach before others get their shot at him. There’s no value in firing him until the season ends, at least in terms of hiring his replacement.

Reactions: BayernFan
Sadly, in the entire history of IU football, it hasn't really mattered whether the HC has prior experience or not.
Mallory. Pont. McMillin. All had been head coaches prior to taking on Indiana. Same with Hep.

We hired other guys with head coaching experience (Lynch, Dinardo) but they weren't coming from head coaching jobs when we hired them.

Reactions: IUgradman
Mallory. Pont. McMillin. All had been head coaches prior to taking on Indiana. Same with Hep.

We hired other guys with head coaching experience (Lynch, Dinardo) but they weren't coming from head coaching jobs when we hired them.
Oh man, Dinardo was rough. If more than 11 guys were allowed on the field I think he would stack a tail back 20 yards deep with 5 blockers in an I in front of him to try and gain 3 inches.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
There are 2 Former Head Coaches currently on staff. Look for one of them to be promoted to HC when they replace TA. My one concern is that we have a couple of Coordinators that are in there first year that are highly respected and IMHO should be retained no matter who our new HC is.

IU needs to go the Mallory, Hep, DeBoer route: up and comer with a good record in the minors and/or majors. Lynch and Dinardo failed in the majors and never should have been hired. Lynch had like a 20 game losing streak at Ball State, and his only good year at Ball State was his first year with the previous coach's players.

I would at least like to see Indiana swing for the fences. Make a big $$$ offer to a splashy name type of hire. If you get shot off the horse, so fvcking what?? They can then go the small ball route.

Making a significant offer to a big name guy would show balls and a desire to be great!! Dolson would have serious football people's total respect if he did this.

Reactions: wibler
There are 2 Former Head Coaches currently on staff. Look for one of them to be promoted to HC when they replace TA. My one concern is that we have a couple of Coordinators that are in there first year that are highly respected and IMHO should be retained no matter who our new HC is.
The chances of any of this being accurate are minuscule.

Isn't ARE on record for saying he wished he never played because of post career health issues? Makes me question his commitment.
ARE did say this as he could have played baseball professionally. He took 30 hits a game at IU and has paid a price in more than one area.

I would at least like to see Indiana swing for the fences. Make a big $$$ offer to a splashy name type of hire. If you get shot off the horse, so fvcking what?? They can then go the small ball route.

Making a significant offer to a big name guy would show balls and a desire to be great!! Dolson would have serious football people's total respect if he did this.
Like Les Miles or Lovie Smith ? There is no such thing as a sure thing. Personally, I like the idea of a guy who has been a head coach at a couple of different places at a lower level and won big - and consistently. Tell him to bring his entire staff with him and give those guys enough money that they will not be tempted to stay behind for a promotion at their current place. Purdue is a prime example of how this can work. This is why Jim Young, Joe Tiller and Jeff Brohm paid off, and Jim Colletto, Fred Akers, and Darrell Hazell did not. Find a guy who has a strong track record of not losing anywhere he's been. For reference, see: DeBoer, Kalen

Like Les Miles or Lovie Smith ? There is no such thing as a sure thing. Personally, I like the idea of a guy who has been a head coach at a couple of different places at a lower level and won big - and consistently. Tell him to bring his entire staff with him and give those guys enough money that they will not be tempted to stay behind for a promotion at their current place. Purdue is a prime example of how this can work. This is why Jim Young, Joe Tiller and Jeff Brohm paid off, and Jim Colletto, Fred Akers, and Darrell Hazell did not. Find a guy who has a strong track record of not losing anywhere he's been. For reference, see: DeBoer, Kalen
I agree with just about everything you say. If they could identify another Kalen Deboer, then most of us would be tickled.

I would look at Tyson Helton of Western Kentucky. He's had a few 9 win seasons since 2019. He has a very solid overall record at WKU along with some bowl wins under his watch.

Who are these highly respected coordinators?

If someone from this staff becomes head coach I’m just done. I’ve been through it with IU. But that would be it.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT