ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State site's Scouting Report on Indiana O

Oct 21, 2020
Indiana Offense Scouting Report

FIXED THE LINK!

Penn State fan here coming in peace lol. Thought I'd share a pretty detailed scouting report from a Penn State site on your Offense. They're SUPER high on your QB. I'll be honest, I've never seen him play a full game -- just highlights -- put from the clips in the article he seems ridiculously accurate. Is he really not much of a running threat, though? Or did they just scout a game where he didn't run?

Last edited:

Penn State fan here coming in peace lol. Thought I'd share a pretty detailed scouting report from a Penn State site on your Offense. They're SUPER high on your QB. I'll be honest, I've never seen him play a full game -- just highlights -- put from the clips in the article he seems ridiculously accurate. Is he really not much of a running threat, though? Or did they just scout a game where he didn't run?
Yeah, well, to be honest Penix has been injured so much that I'm not sure that many of us have seen him play a full game either. From what we've seen of him, he's had a rocket arm, and can run well when he needs to, but he's been a little fragile. (See the article linked below describing how Penix was hurt during his freshman year on a run vs. Penn State.) He's bulked up to a decent size now, at 6'3" and 218 . . . but with more muscles, more can get hurt.

Here's looking for both of us to get to see Penix for a whole game this Saturday.

PS - I couldn't get your link to work.

FIXED THE LINK!

Penix has some serious arm talent. The accuracy stats are a little misleading though. His most complete game last season was against Michigan State before their season fell apart. He had like 20 straight completions. The misleading part is that last year's OC LOVED to throw a quick screen to our shifty WR (Philyor) in the slot. So there were several of those glorified handoffs peppered in there. On the other hand, his ability to get it across the field in a second is what makes that play work.

He's a running threat to the extent that he's really fast. I think he ran the 200m in HS and was good at it. So he's a threat to get down the field if there's an opening. But I wouldn't classify him as a shifty dual-threat guy. Showing my age, I'd compare him much more to a Donovan McNabb than a Mike Vick.

FIXED THE LINK!

The lack of respect for stevie scott is a little appalling hes only averaging 5 yards a carry on 406 carries behind...checks notes...what the author is calling a terrible offensive line.
So it cant be both either stevie scott is a good physical running back with good vision or the offensive line is good. If he wasnt that good and the offensive line also wasnt good he wouldnt have those stats...

FIXED THE LINK!

Jayson Roberts, Penix's high school coach at Tampa Bay Tech, described Penix as follows:

"He was the best high school quarterback I've ever seen in my life. I expect him to be great, be a Heisman finalist and be a first-round draft pick. That's how good I think he is."

IU fans have seen enough to know that he's an extraordinary talent. If he stays healthy, the rest of the conference should be very concerned.

(See the article linked below describing how Penix was hurt during his freshman year on a run vs. Penn State.)
Good point on the Penn State injury two years ago. I recall the offense was rolling when Penix subbed in for Ramsey and would have made the game very interesting if he played the second half. PSU defense gave a lot of room for receivers and MP made them pay. After the injury during the scramble I remember feeling the life getting sapped out of Memorial Stadium through the TV. PSU DBs creeped up more and more toward the box and dared Ramsey to win with his arm. IU kept it close (33-28 after late IU score) but definitely could have been a different outcome with a healthy Penix.

This isn't the run of the mill IU team anymore. IU has recruited much better and now has depth beyond the starters which in college football, is everything. Let's see how this translates on the football field and playing a usually talented PSU team will give us a quick look at just that.

Yeah, well, to be honest Penix has been injured so much that I'm not sure that many of us have seen him play a full game either. From what we've seen of him, he's had a rocket arm, and can run well when he needs to, but he's been a little fragile. (See the article linked below describing how Penix was hurt during his freshman year on a run vs. Penn State.) He's bulked up to a decent size now, at 6'3" and 218 . . . but with more muscles, more can get hurt.

Here's looking for both of us to get to see Penix for a whole game this Saturday.

PS - I couldn't get your link to work.
6’ 3” and 206 per our 2018 roster. So looks like height may be reached. I agree, hopefully size helps injuries as well as experience to avoid hits.

Reactions: vesuvius13
. . . . IU fans have seen enough to know that [Penix]'s an extraordinary talent. If he stays healthy, the rest of the conference should be very concerned.
IU fans know and others will soon discover that it is very difficult for teams to simulate and prepare for what they will face going up against Michael Penix. The question is, "How long will it take for opponents, especially their DBs, to adjust?" If they play at their normal speed, they're going to always be a step late. In the future when tasked with describing what made Michael Penix so effective, someone might pen the Penix Pentalogy: Poise, Perception, Pop, Pace, Placement.

I was in the North Endzone enjoying the heck out of the game 2 yrs ago. Was beautiful, but a bit cool and windy as the game wore on. MP got hurt. IU took a late 3rd qtr lead. IU Kicked the ensuing KO deep. That was pretty much the ball game as PSU took it back to about the 5 yd line.

Penix has some serious arm talent. The accuracy stats are a little misleading though. His most complete game last season was against Michigan State before their season fell apart. He had like 20 straight completions. The misleading part is that last year's OC LOVED to throw a quick screen to our shifty WR (Philyor) in the slot. So there were several of those glorified handoffs peppered in there. On the other hand, his ability to get it across the field in a second is what makes that play work.

He's a running threat to the extent that he's really fast. I think he ran the 200m in HS and was good at it. So he's a threat to get down the field if there's an opening. But I wouldn't classify him as a shifty dual-threat guy. Showing my age, I'd compare him much more to a Donovan McNabb than a Mike Vick.
Here are the statistics from last season for both teams: https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...-at-indiana-sean-clifford-toney-tcf-friermuth

IU's run game has to improve. Last year IU's run game did not exist during the Penn St. game. Ramsey passed very well. But Ramsey got sacked, too. Penix can scramble and has a quicker release. Our special teams and kicking are also in need of improvement. Penn St. is not invincible. But their OL and running game are really good. I heard that their go to WR is gone. So Tom Allen and the OC will try to establish the run early. This is not rocket science. Will Penix's passing and scrambling and getting hit and his efficiency win the game? Toss the coin.

Last edited:
I wonder if the coaches are giving some first string snaps to Tuttle? Is that prudent with MP injury history?
I hope not, at least not at this point in game prep. That would probably be somewhat poor for morale.

I take solace in that MP doesn't have a "nagging injury" issue like a bad ankle that won't heal or frequent concussions, or a bad hamstring. His seasons have been ended by injuries, but those injuries (ACL & a fracture) seem to be more of a one-off situation and not a perpetual thing that's going to recur.

Probably not as long as IU is still in this one. Maybe they can afford to do that in the RU game next week but they need all cylinders firing each play on Saturday.

I read somewhere that Rutger (they haven't earned their "s" yet in the Big Ten) brought in 11 free agents, er...., grad transfers..., so they may be a tougher nut than many are expecting...

Looks to me like there aren't going to be any easy games on this schedule... I just hope we can keep our health and our edge all the way thru it...

I think Penix needs every rep he can get... Remember, he really hasn't played that much live college football yet...

Last edited:

FIXED THE LINK!

I live in the Happy Valley Area, and I don't think anyone around here I have talked to are too worried about Indiana. Sure you have to study our Hoosiers but they are pretty sure they can handle business.

Reactions: ESalum86
I read somewhere that Rutger (they haven't earned their "s" yet in the Big Ten) brought in 11 free agents, er...., grad transfers..., so they may be a tougher nut than many are expecting...

Looks to me like there aren't going to be any easy games on this schedule... I just hope we can keep our health and our edge all the way thru it...

I think Penix needs every rep he can get... Remember, he really hasn't played that much live college football yet...
I agree they will be improved this year but maybe their record won't show it. However Schiano has upped the recruiting and it's only a matter of time till results come . The East or whatever they call it now just keeps getting more competitive.

Reactions: 76-1
Indiana Defense Scouting Report

Same site that did the Indiana Offense breakdown finally posted the INDIANA Defense Breakdown (see link). They LOOOOVE Mullen (how the heck was he not on an All-Big Ten team last year?!?!?) They also like a lot of your DL (50 and 6) I'm surprised they listed McFadden as a Problem Area, though. Isn't he supposed to be one of your better players? Did he just have a bad bowl game?

Indiana Defense Scouting Report

Same site that did the Indiana Offense breakdown finally posted the INDIANA Defense Breakdown (see link). They LOOOOVE Mullen (how the heck was he not on an All-Big Ten team last year?!?!?) They also like a lot of your DL (50 and 6) I'm surprised they listed McFadden as a Problem Area, though. Isn't he supposed to be one of your better players? Did he just have a bad bowl game?

Mullen's breakout game was MSU which was like game 5 and he was the nickelback there if I recall. So got his accolades from really only starting 1/2 the year.

DL has some ability, but not enough consistency with pressure. This is the "problem area" most of us see on defense.

McFadden is certainly one of our better defenders. At least if he's our weak-link, we're in good shape.

Mullen's breakout game was MSU which was like game 5 and he was the nickelback there if I recall. So got his accolades from really only starting 1/2 the year.

DL has some ability, but not enough consistency with pressure. This is the "problem area" most of us see on defense.

McFadden is certainly one of our better defenders. At least if he's our weak-link, we're in good shape.
Mcfadden did not have a good bowl game so if they are basing their opinion on that game then yes he is probably a weak link

I hope we see a lot of LB rotation today. I really like Casey and the other FL back up (spacing name - James?) who made the big 4th down stop vs UM fee yrs back. Think we have four stud athletes to rotate in and stay fresh!

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT