Pearl Jam Bracketology Update

Moops

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2001
Pound Town
For those who are wondering the Pearl Jam Final Four is:

(2) Black vs (5) Rearview Mirror
(9) Release vs (6) State of Love and Trust

I predict Black over State in the Finals.

No Number One Seeds made it to the Final Four.

(2) Black thumped (1) Alive 64%-36%. IMO, (10) Porch got a bad seed losing to Black in 2nd round.

(5) Rearview advanced beating (1) Even Flow before narrowly edging (2) Better Man 50%-50%. (Must have been by fractions.)

(9) Release dominated (1) Just Breathe & (5) Lightning Bolt in the latest releases dominant section before edging (2) Ledbetter 53-47% in the E8.

(6) State of Love beat (2) Sirens before defeating (4) Elderly Woman 52-48%, who took out (1) Jeremy 53%-47%.

Pearl Jam Brackets

I'll go...

Black over Release. Great Final 4 though. Tough to pick just 4 and those are excellent.

Little O went to see PJ back in October.

He was a wee bit perturbed they chose not to play "Jeremy."

Something along the lines of "Jeff Ament is a d-bag."

I couldn't argue that point.

Footsteps should be there.

Black and Release are the same song.

The single...

Jeremy, Footsteps and Yellow Ledbetter was pretty GD awesome.

And respectfully disagree, Black (E, Asus, E, A, E, C, Em, D,C, Em) and Release (DGC over and over) are distinctly different tunes with much different vibes/themes (dark and holding on vs hopeful and letting go, but yes both about loss). The crescendo on Release live blows the roof off. But f' it man, it's all art...

I do know this....Ten kicks Nevermind's ass top to bottom.

Judging Nevermind is like ...

Judging people who moonwalk better than MJ.

You're not getting it.

Yeah, Nevermind was a cultural shift/phenomenon.

It ushered in grunge (which pre-Pearl Jam, Gossard/Ament driven, Green River essentially pioneered) to the masses in the MTV era, buoyed by the Pixie's ode (rip off?) Teen Spirit...an anthem for early 90s teenage angst (I remember, I was like 12 moshing away). It was "important" in that sense. But so was Ten...

But that aside...it's average musically and not really something I'm ever saying "man, I really want to listen to Nevermind today". Nirvana came to hate it and it probably contributed to killing Cobain. The irony is it became the "pop" music of the time, which they f'ing hated. Success is funny that way, I guess.

I get it. I recognize the importance. I'm just not into it. But what the hell do I know...not a damn thing. But Ten rocks and I can listen to it forever.

You. Are. On. Crack.

FTFFOH. Not a chance in hell it's better than Nevermind. smh

That's like your opinion, man...

Like, well...you know....we all got em...

In Utero was superior to Nevermind also...

That's a damn good album.

I prefer Ten personally, but recognize how damn good Surfer Rosa is...

I can almost hear The Dude

lol. You bet. Ten is a fantastic album. Just bustin balls.

The Dude abides...

I know man, all good....there are no winner or losers in this argument. All great music at probably one of the most memorable times of my life/youth...we've all got our favorites.

Plus I like to bust on sacred cows and see what happens....

I like your style, dude.

Amen to that brotha....great, great version.

Average musically ... ?

My guess is you never tried to arrange a song.

Nevermind is flawless.

You seem like you've at least read up on it. I can respect that. But the same rolling stone/media hype you're buying into, are the same people that gave Nevermind and In Utero 5 star ratings.

Preferring Ten is a sentimental like that you have.

Comparing these albums is like comparing monkey albums sold vs beatles.

I'm no Lennon or McCartney...

but I play a little and have penned a song or two in my post-quarter life crisis (ok, more like third to approaching mid) of wannabe bedroom songwriter guy. Hey, I've got a 2 year old and a life sucking job...I'm just glad to talk grunge era with a captive semi-adult audience. My daughter isn't feeling it just yet...

I was mostly trying to piss off the Nirvanaphiles by saying that....but yeah, personally I just don't find Nevermind all that listenable. Not my thing. But I understand the talent and importance. And honestly your assessment sounds as much or more the "rolling stone/media hype" than anything I'm saying...looking back, now a lot of people find it incredibly overrated (like even Nirvana). Like I said it was a cultural phenomenon, indisputable. I remember, I lived it too.

Preferring Ten absolutely is a sentimental like I have....but I think you're also underestimating Gossard's (mostly) arrangements on Ten too. But, hey I can respect where you're coming from. A lot of people would agree with you and tell me I'm nuts. So be it....Nevermind and Teen Spirit just became way too played out for me back then. I much prefer the Unplugged.

Anyway, back to annoying the wife by continuing my Pearl Jam marathon...

I prefer the limiting of Jeremy, Better Man, etc.

They still play way too many of the radio/MTV standards.

They play plenty of shows and he'll get more than his fill of the pop hit Jeremy if he goes to more than one. If they only played the greatest hits, they wouldn't sell out many shows because none of their loyal fans would go to the multiple shows that we go to each tour.

Get out my face.. lol

How about this ..

As an comparable example: VU was a collection of below average to average musicians who created wonderful songs.

outside of their first two albums

I could give a chit about pearl jam. And even those two albums haven't aged well for me. The whole grunge scene, outside of some mad season, nirvana and soundgarden tracks, isn't something that makes it into my rotation these days. And my rotation is terabytes deep at this point, and rotates frequently.

Hell, the foo fighters first album sounds better to me than most PJ tracks. And I'm far from a foo fighters fan. Although sonic highways is one of the best things I've ever watched. If you haven't seen it, make a point to watch it. You may not like the foo fighters music much (like me), but you will really respect Dave Grohl. Fantastic storyteller and person.

There's literally thousands of albums I'd rather hear than those two. And probably tens of thousands I'd rather hear over the other PJ albums. And PJ was one of "the" bands during my college years. I really wish I could like them more.

Let's do a Rolling Stones, faces or black Crowes bracket. That would get me going. That's the good chit.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT