ADVERTISEMENT

PBS/American Experience -“The Movement and the Mad Man”

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Documentary about the national moratorium movement, and how it affected Nixon policy in Vietnam.

Interesting points/moments:

1. One organizer - “If I can’t take my children to the demonstration, I won’t go.“

2. Tommy Smothers sitting on the bed with John Lennon and Yoko during the filming of “Give Peace a Chance”

3. The UAW got behind it, but with a very clear “behind the scene” story about having people by the balls, directed to the leaders of the peace movement, seeing in effect. “don’t screw this up and make us look bad.”

4. Paul Newman visited the offices.

5. Bill Ayers, Obama’s buddy, showed up helmeted and demanded $20,000 to call off a violent attack on justice department headquarters and bespoil the peaceful march that had been planned by others. His attack on Justice was the only violent part if the nationwide protest. He ran from the tear gas.

6. Nixon stood no chance of “winning” the war or negotiations after the 69 Moratorium.

7. The point of the show was a claim that archives now show they “probably” prevented nukes.

8. Best point - only peaceful protest has impact.

Reactions: Spartans9312
7. The point of the show was a claim that archives now show they “probably” prevented nukes.

Yeah, that was a reach. The point was that Nixon wanted Hanoi (and Moscow) to believe he actually would use nukes. I'm not convinced would have been willing to take that step.

Documentary about the national moratorium movement, and how it affected Nixon policy in Vietnam.

Interesting points/moments:

1. One organizer - “If I can’t take my children to the demonstration, I won’t go.“

2. Tommy Smothers sitting on the bed with John Lennon and Yoko during the filming of “Give Peace a Chance”

3. The UAW got behind it, but with a very clear “behind the scene” story about having people by the balls, directed to the leaders of the peace movement, seeing in effect. “don’t screw this up and make us look bad.”

4. Paul Newman visited the offices.

5. Bill Ayers, Obama’s buddy, showed up helmeted and demanded $20,000 to call off a violent attack on justice department headquarters and bespoil the peaceful march that had been planned by others. His attack on Justice was the only violent part if the nationwide protest. He ran from the tear gas.

6. Nixon stood no chance of “winning” the war or negotiations after the 69 Moratorium.

8. Best point - only peaceful protest has impact.

Nixon's Vietnam War strategy, was to not let it end until he could no longer run for prez again.

even when that meant sabotaging it's ending to keep it going.

until such time, he saw it continuing as benefiting his and Pubs chances of winning elections, which trumped all the lives keeping it going cost.

it wasn't personal. just business.

Nixon's Vietnam War strategy, was to not let it end until he could no longer run for prez again.

until such time, he saw it continuing as benefiting his and Pubs chances of winning elections, which trumped all the lives keeping it going cost.

That was probably the time you should have been getting an education. Doing stuff to improve your lot for the future. Now you’re left to just blame others. Those meany conservatives who get up at five and work jobs all day who won’t give you more of their money.

That was probably the time you should have been getting an education. Doing stuff to improve your lot for the future. Now you’re left to just blame others. Those meany conservatives who get up at five and work jobs all day who won’t give you more of their money.

winners is just greedy. I'm truly grateful to you and JDB and twenty and all the other hard working people who support me in my dotage. And the raise I got this year was sweet.

That was probably the time you should have been getting an education.

which is exactly what i was doing at IU at the time, and why Nixon pulling the treasonous sht he did to prolong the war for yrs more matters to me, and should matter to you.

but then only you seems to matter to you.

i get it though, that's what conservatism is about.

not your fault you didn't get the gene.

Tell us about the Military Industrial Illuminati …

What, and why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT