ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald, Kevin Wilson, Matt Canada: who do you go after as HC?

It really isn’t worth the change if they’re not going to completely change their approach.

Coordinators win football games these days. Spend tons of money on a competent and dynamic staff, top to bottom…

Or just save the buyout money and enjoy 3-5 win seasons for another couple years.

Sure, there may be some baggage but everyone comes with a little baggage. What say you?
None of those guys would get a sniff. I would think Jim Leonhard would be seriously considered, but I would also think the Washington State coach will think about life after Pullman. Hard to envision us making a move, but stranger things have happened.

None of the above. I’ve advocated for Womack but I think Charles Huff at Marshall should also get a look.

https://herdzone.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/charles-huff/869

Huff = Very good coach. I’m also a fan of Jim Leonhard. It’s all there.
He’s young (40), played 10 years in the NFL. Around good football teams at Wisconsin. Defensive player. Somebody is going to get him. If you are a recruit, you might be a bit star struck when a former NFL player can sit in your living room and talk to you about his life in the NFL and how he’s going to take you down the same path. I’d take Leonhard. He’s going to be around for a long time in the biz. Get him now and you get in on a coach who will be a candidate for bigger jobs some day.

Huff = Very good coach. I’m also a fan of Jim Leonhard. It’s all there.
He’s young (40), played 10 years in the NFL. Around good football teams at Wisconsin. Defensive player. Somebody is going to get him. If you are a recruit, you might be a bit star struck when a former NFL player can sit in your living room and talk to you about his life in the NFL and how he’s going to take you down the same path. I’d take Leonhard. He’s going to be around for a long time in the biz. Get him now and you get in on a coach who will be a candidate for bigger jobs some day.
If MSU has any brains, Leonhard will be a guy they take a long look at. Beyond them and NU and maybe us, it’s not likely any other BiG jobs will be open. Same goes for the SEC, ACC and Big 12, as well, where there may not be many vacancies. Strange times.

If MSU has any brains, Leonhard will be a guy they take a long look at. Beyond them and NU and maybe us, it’s not likely any other BiG jobs will be open. Same goes for the SEC, ACC and Big 12, as well, where there may not be many vacancies. Strange times.

IU should take a good look at Jeremy Chadwell at Liberty. Guy was solid at Coastal Carolina and off to a 4-0 start at Liberty.

Sure, there may be some baggage but everyone comes with a little baggage. What say you?
I am on record for writing a big check for Urban Meyer. We won't be hiring a preacher,. We need to stop requiring some high moral standards and hire someone that wins. I'm ohay as long as they aren't chasing coeds around campus or falling down drunk on Kirkwood. I'd be okay with Fitzgerald, but he hasn't been elite lately.

None of these guys listed have a prayer of turning around IU's football fortunes....

It wouldn't matter if IU resurrected Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes ..

Nothing is going to change as long as the BOT, Admin and Athletic Departments stay the same... and, so will IU's football program....

High level changes need to be made first. I'm not holding my breath.

A just ousted in-conference coach, a retread lush, and an NFL coordinator who was let go from multiple of his OC positions and currently gets booed by his own fans. Some great options there. And **** Urban Meyer, I want to have some respect for the football program, this isn't pro sports.

The other names in this thread so far I like: Wommack, Leonhard, Chadwell, Huff. For coordinators, I'd take a swing and see if Jesse Minter will move south. However, culture starts top down with the athletic department and it remains to be seen if the school really cares about the direction of football with the new B1G. What happens with CTA after this season makes a big difference though I believe that the right hire can still be made.

None of these guys listed have a prayer of turning around IU's football fortunes....

It wouldn't matter if IU resurrected Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes ..

Nothing is going to change as long as the BOT, Admin and Athletic Departments stay the same... and, so will IU's football program....

High level changes need to be made first. I'm not holding my breath.
You’re spot on about the leadership. As I’ve stated previously, four of our last five ADs had absolutely zero experience in a college athletic department in any capacity, yet we hired them (four were.IU guys and the fifth, who had experience, was a jerk who got pushed out, and another managed to piss off nearly every basketball alum who played in the last 50 years). We’re in the place we are precisely because we’ve never valued leadership. Until that changes, we shouldn’t expect a change in the football program.

None of those guys would get a sniff. I would think Jim Leonhard would be seriously considered, but I would also think the Washington State coach will think about life after Pullman. Hard to envision us making a move, but stranger things have happened.
Matt Entz

Reactions: vesuvius13
A hard no on Wilson or Canada. Fitz is interesting but I feel we can do better. As far as Urban goes that would be also a hard no. I also believe he would never consider IU if he would return to college coaching. With that said we need to play out the year. If we achieve 4 or less wins we need to do the buyout and move the program forward with new leadership.

A hard no on Wilson or Canada. Fitz is interesting but I feel we can do better. As far as Urban goes that would be also a hard no. I also believe he would never consider IU if he would return to college coaching. With that said we need to play out the year. If we achieve 4 or less wins we need to do the buyout and move the program forward with new leadership.
I would be going after a couple of people to head up a search committee to look for a football coach next year. And also to revamp the hierarchy of the athletic department.

Scott Dolson will never work his way out of the hole he dug for the athletic department with Tom Allen's contract extension. Sharing the blame with him should be the people who approved his hiring.

Reactions: kmathum
I would be going after a couple of people to head up a search committee to look for a football coach next year. And also to revamp the hierarchy of the athletic department.

Scott Dolson will never work his way out of the hole he dug for the athletic department with Tom Allen's contract extension. Sharing the blame with him should be the people who approved his hiring.
Yeah he and Tom are joined at the hip. I think it's still a wait and see on Woodson

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Fitz would be 10 times better than what we have now

None of those listed. I hire Jim Leonard former Defensive Coordinator at Wisconsin and their Interim Head Coach for part of last year. I give Him the opportunity to work the program from the ground up. With his connections, We will have better and more competent Assistants than We have now, and He may be able to get us a few of those prototype Wisconsin plow horse Linemen that t hey don't have room to take.

None of those listed. I hire Jim Leonard former Defensive Coordinator at Wisconsin and their Interim Head Coach for part of last year. I give Him the opportunity to work the program from the ground up. With his connections, We will have better and more competent Assistants than We have now, and He may be able to get us a few of those prototype Wisconsin plow horse Linemen that t hey don't have room to take.
Probably end up at msu

I will have what 009 is drinking if he thinks IU can do better than Fitz!! Not since Bo McMillan has IU had a coach with Fitz’ kind of record (and at a place that’s just as difficult or more to win at). I will say Fitz had a better foundation taking over for Randy Walker however than what any coach would be walking into at IU.

If Dan Mullen could be enticed, I would be all for that too.

If we are going for the usual IU hire, aka “the young up and comer”, Leonhard, Sean Lewis (OC at CU), or Brian Hartline at OSU would all interest me.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I will have what 009 is drinking if he thinks IU can do better than Fitz!! Not since Bo McMillan has IU had a coach with Fitz’ kind of record (and at a place that’s just as difficult or more to win at). I will say Fitz had a better foundation taking over for Randy Walker however than what any coach would be walking into at IU.

If Dan Mullen could be enticed, I would be all for that too.

If we are going for the usual IU hire, aka “the young up and comer”, Leonhard, Sean Lewis (OC at CU), or Brian Hartline at OSU would all interest me.
I would rather have a Craig Bohl, Chris Kliemann type. Fundamentally sound…defensive oriented.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

I say that you slide Allen to a high priced DC & hire Ken Niumatalolo. Then run IU football like an academy program.​

I say that you slide Allen to a high priced DC & hire Ken Niumatalolo. Then run IU football like an academy program.​

Bernie Sanders GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe
A veteran coach with a winning record and assts ready tohit the ground running. No more up and comers. We whiffed urban meyers and hired dinardi instead.

I say that you slide Allen to a high priced DC ...​

If his contract allows for it, that could actually work.

Allen's the type that he could still put forth his best effort even after a little embarrasment. He has ethics.

This next hire is probably CRITICAL if Indiana wants to remain in the Big Ten. Look around, schools like Washington State, Oregon State and others are left high and dry!! Indiana will eventually have to accept a much smaller payday as is; no way they should get what the football schools receive.

Schools like Louisville and Kentucky not only invest very heavily in their football programs but they've made much more intelligent coaching hires. They're now each sitting at 5-0 while Indiana kicks rocks.

The blame is tremendous, where do you start??? 🤔 I blame Dolson, Allen, previous administrations, basketball X 3, it's just overwhelming. Somehow, they've got to make a correct hire and get this figured out.

Kentucky was on a 30+ year losing streak to Florida!! Stoops changed that in the last 5 years. Times change, people change, programs change, it's time for a major change up there.

Offer Kalen Deboer double his currently salary to come back to IU. If Allen is willing to step down to the DC position fine, if not, trust Kalen to choose a good one. Covid or not, the IU football I saw under Allen, Deboer, and Wommack was some of the best I've seen and I'm over 60 and graduated IU a long time ago. Now, what incentive would Kalen have to leave a good gig at Washington ??? For starters, Penix will be leaving (and Penix can make any coach look like a genius), the Washington schedule will be a gauntlet in the BIG #somenumber, while expectations remain low per usual at IU. IU will never know what Kalen will say unless they ask him and if/when they approach him they must be prepared to make an offer he cannot refuse.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and ESalum86
It really isn’t worth the change if they’re not going to completely change their approach.

Coordinators win football games these days. Spend tons of money on a competent and dynamic staff, top to bottom…

Or just save the buyout money and enjoy 3-5 win seasons for another couple years.
3 to 5?
You are an optimist.

• Haha
Reactions: 4IUSox2
This next hire is probably CRITICAL if Indiana wants to remain in the Big Ten. Look around, schools like Washington State, Oregon State and others are left high and dry!! Indiana will eventually have to accept a much smaller payday as is; no way they should get what the football schools receive.

Schools like Louisville and Kentucky not only invest very heavily in their football programs but they've made much more intelligent coaching hires. They're now each sitting at 5-0 while Indiana kicks rocks.

The blame is tremendous, where do you start??? 🤔 I blame Dolson, Allen, previous administrations, basketball X 3, it's just overwhelming. Somehow, they've got to make a correct hire and get this figured out.

Kentucky was on a 30+ year losing streak to Florida!! Stoops changed that in the last 5 years. Times change, people change, programs change, it's time for a major change up there.
You are likely correct.
On the other hand, someone has to make up the bottom of the league. Someone has to be the opponents home coming game, early season tune up, etc.
Maybe we have found our niche.

Reactions: bang63 and jsenleo
Offer Kalen Deboer double his currently salary to come back to IU. If Allen is willing to step down to the DC position fine, if not, trust Kalen to choose a good one. Covid or not, the IU football I saw under Allen, Deboer, and Wommack was some of the best I've seen and I'm over 60 and graduated IU a long time ago. Now, what incentive would Kalen have to leave a good gig at Washington ??? For starters, Penix will be leaving (and Penix can make any coach look like a genius), the Washington schedule will be a gauntlet in the BIG #somenumber, while expectations remain low per usual at IU. IU will never know what Kalen will say unless they ask him and if/when they approach him they must be prepared to make an offer he cannot refuse.
+ the big negative concerning the travel necessary to compete in the B1G. Less miles at IU.

Penix didn’t make Sheridan or Allen look good in 2021

Reactions: jaygyure
Two things among many:

1. There is zero chance Allen would ever remain as DC. To consider it as even a remote possibility is ludicrous;

2. No coach wants to go where expectations are low. That’s the losing mentality we need to bury, not offer as a selling point.

DeBoer isn’t never coming back.

Hire Petrino.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT