ADVERTISEMENT

Our next Opponent: Western Kentucky

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

((Note: Doege [transfer QB] is gone, or..., Western Kentucky has lost their Doege 😉))

They're 2-0.., have had a full bye week of extra preparation, and they know us well.. Could be a good one... If we sleep walk thru the first half of this one it just might cost us dearly...

(There's a familiar face at RB...)

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Lot’s of Coach speak from WKU Helton … I hope we play as good as he says.

Helton: "They can rush four and get to the quarterback. They don't have to bring pressure. And when they do bring pressure, they do a nice job disguising the blitzes to match the protection scheme.”

WKU got a lot of turnovers their first two games:

Big Fleaflicker

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-comments-on-matchup-against-indiana-football

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Lot’s of Coach speak from WKU Helton … I hope we play as good as he says.

Helton: "They can rush four and get to the quarterback. They don't have to bring pressure. And when they do bring pressure, they do a nice job disguising the blitzes to match the protection scheme.”

WKU got a lot of turnovers their first two games:

Big Fleaflicker

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-comments-on-matchup-against-indiana-football
Looks like they've found another good QB:

Coaches speaking about preparing for Western Kentucky (usually about halfway through the interviews // Wilt's is particularly interesting):

IU should win this game comfortably, WKU runs a system that isn't easy to stop. I hope IU's athletes rise up and smack WKU down so IU can control the game. If IU can do this, it will be an improvement over the play this season.
Taking control of games in the first half when given a chance is something IU has struggled with last year and v. lllinois (1 TD & 2 FGs … instead of 2 TDS and 1 FG). IU needs to burst WKUs bubble of of inflated stats winning the TO margin in the first half. I agree with others that DBs need to tackle better this game.

((Note: Doege [transfer QB] is gone, or..., Western Kentucky has lost their Doege 😉))

They're 2-0.., have had a full bye week of extra preparation, and they know us well.. Could be a good one... If we sleep walk thru the first half of this one it just might cost us dearly...

(There's a familiar face at RB...)
I did not realize they were coming off a bye.

Lmfao. You realize Austin Peay is a far better team than Idaho, right? Moreover, Illinois? You also realize that the ESPN analytics that pick WKU to win factor in schedule heavily. Hawaii is in rebuild. Illinois is, in fact, not very good. Indiana schedule is no less cupcake than WKU’s so far.

Idaho scared Indiana for 2 quarters & STILL only got 2 votes in the FCS Top 25 coaches poll. Austin Peay? Third team outside of Top 25 with 39 votes.
It’s important to understand they played two cupcakes though.

Last edited:
Lmfao. You realize Austin Peay is a far better team than Idaho, right? Moreover, Illinois? You also realize that the ESPN analytics that pick WKU to win factor in schedule heavily. Hawaii is in rebuild. Illinois is, in fact, not very good. Indiana schedule is no less cupcake than WKU’s so far.

Idaho scared Indiana for 2 quarters & STILL only got 2 votes in the FCS Top 25 coaches poll. Austin Peay? Third team outside of Top 25 with 39 votes.
Wtf are you?

How the hell can you say Illinois is not any good? IU farted around for two quarters in the rain then went on a 29-0 run when they decided to start trying. Idaho played Washington State close as well. The Cougars went into Madison and beat a top 25 Wisconsin team.

what basis do you have in saying Illinois is no good??? I guess Virginia should be playing D III??

So see was
IU should win this game comfortably, WKU runs a system that isn't easy to stop. I hope IU's athletes rise up and smack WKU down so IU can control the game. If IU can do this, it will be an improvement over the play this season.
Were you comfortable last week when the Hoosiers were down 10-0 at halftime? I realize it was raining in the first half but I'm pretty sure it was raining on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

I am trying to understand your post.
So you mean Austin Peay is not very good but better than Idaho.
Illinois is not very good.
Hawaii is not very good.
So is the conclusion of your post is that neither Indiana nor western Kentucky has played anyone who is good enough to draw any conclusions about either Indiana or Western Kentucky?

Last edited:
He's clueless...

Austin Peay would be lucky to only lose by three touchdowns to either Idaho or Illinois...

He's impressed by their "big wins" over Presbyterian and Mississippi Valley State...

The guy doesn't know what he's looking at...
I was actually trying to understand what he meant.
Is it possible that poster is just a troll. Perhaps a PU guy? Maybe he did not mean anything. Just trying to stir the pot.
I agree it is early in the season, but I think Illinois is pretty good. Not OSU or Alabama good but a solid team that will win games this year.
I agree it may be that Austin Peay and Idaho do not have the big name recruits, but athletes that play hard and play with good coaching can win big games.
I remain concerned about WKy.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
chop1010, is not very informed about FB teams or a troll as chop only has one post.

Reactions: 76-1
chop1010, is not very informed about FB teams or a troll as chop only has one post.
I am less concerned about WKU the more I read about them. Their stats are veery similar to IU's but they haven't played the level of teams IU has. Playing at home, I think IU will take it to WKU, I also hope the noon kickoff helps the players.

I wonder how a coach prepares for the trick play?
I think I might look at a RB or WR who played QB in HS.
Maybe look at their O coaches and see what trick plays they have run in other programs

I wonder how a coach prepares for the trick play?
I think I might look at a RB or WR who played QB in HS.
Maybe look at their O coaches and see what trick plays they have run in other programs
They'll look at everything...

Assignment Defense and just every guy doing their job while not trying to be a freelance hero can nip most of that stuff in the bud... If we give up the backside contain as easily as we have in the last two games we'll be in for Real trouble... My biggest concern is our FS biting on the run fake and giving up the deep ball...

I'd expect to see at least one RB pass (count on that one)..., a couple of reverses, and at least one flea flicker (expect that one too)..., along with a possible double reverse (although those usually take too long to develop so I don't expect to see that one unless they get desperate)...

Last edited:
They'll look at everything...

Assignment Defense and just every guy doing their job while not trying to be a freelance hero can nip most of that stuff in the bud... If we give up the backside contain as easily as we have in the last two games we'll be in for Real trouble... My biggest concern is our FS biting on the run fake and giving up the deep ball...

I'd expect to see at least one RB pass (count on that one)..., a couple of reverses, and at least one flee flicker (expect that one too)..., along with a possible double reverse (although those usually take too long to develop so I don't expect to see that one unless they get desperate)...
Nice predictions.
RB pass (I agree)
Reverses don’t seem as much a trick play as just “a play” to me.
Flea flicker, what do the safeties see that makes them stay deep rather than come up for the run?
Double reverse, do they have anybody really fast?

Nice predictions.
RB pass (I agree)
Reverses don’t seem as much a trick play as just “a play” to me.
Flea flicker, what do the safeties see that makes them stay deep rather than come up for the run?
Double reverse, do they have anybody really fast?
On the flea flicker that's a tough one (for the FS) but he just has to play the deep ball first (if he sees that WR digging deep to get behind him he should realize that he's being suckered)... He shouldn't have to worry himself with the RB until he sees him break past the line of scrimmage and into the LB's...

Supposedly they have a couple of speedy receivers and our former RB is pretty quick too so a double is a slim possibility if they get desperate...

IDS's pregame breakdown:

Thanks for posting. Most of that has been in Hoosier Huddle or elsewhere except the big ten stats.
I did not realize we were that bad. 3rd worst in big ten in yards given up and 2nd worst in total yds given up.
I know we are not tackling great, what else needs to be fixed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT