ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UGA fires Mark Richt . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
while it may seem crazy from the outside, the fact is that the UGA program has been on the decline since 2012, and Mike Bobo's departure as OC to take the Colorado State HC job, plus Richt's hiring of Marty Schottenheimer to replace Bobo, pretty much sealed Richt's firing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-georgia-latest-details-comments-and-reaction

Earlier this year I read where Richt has refused to sign a new contract with UGA, and that UGA is going to honor the deal offered anyway. The new deal included an $800,000 pay raise for this year, plus a $2.5 million buyout if Richt is fired. I have no idea why Richt refused to sign the contract . . . but that couldn't have sat well with the UGA AD. Plus there've been increasing numbers of "incidents" involving UGA football players in recent years.

Not sure what this means for the UGA recruiting class, which stands as a darned fine class. Jason Eason is a 6'5" 5* pro-style senior QB with a helluva throwing arm who is committed to UGA right now . . . .

while it may seem crazy from the outside, the fact is that the UGA program has been on the decline since 2012, and Mike Bobo's departure as OC to take the Colorado State HC job, plus Richt's hiring of Marty Schottenheimer to replace Bobo, pretty much sealed Richt's firing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-georgia-latest-details-comments-and-reaction

Earlier this year I read where Richt has refused to sign a new contract with UGA, and that UGA is going to honor the deal offered anyway. The new deal included an $800,000 pay raise for this year, plus a $2.5 million buyout if Richt is fired. I have no idea why Richt refused to sign the contract . . . but that couldn't have sat well with the UGA AD. Plus there've been increasing numbers of "incidents" involving UGA football players in recent years.

Not sure what this means for the UGA recruiting class, which stands as a darned fine class. Jason Eason is a 6'5" 5* pro-style senior QB with a helluva throwing arm who is committed to UGA right now . . . .
Marty Schottenheimer's son, Brian, is / was the OC at UGA. Will be interesting to see if Kirby Smart finally becomes a head coach or if they bring Bobo (a former UGA quarterback) back. Plenty of directions they can go, and many of them are down.

Would think Miami will call their alumnus Richt to see if he wants to keep coaching.

Marty Schottenheimer's son, Brian, is / was the OC at UGA. Will be interesting to see if Kirby Smart finally becomes a head coach or if they bring Bobo (a former UGA quarterback) back. Plenty of directions they can go, and many of them are down.

Would think Miami will call their alumnus Richt to see if he wants to keep coaching.

You're right re: Marty/Brian. . . my age and memory are catching up with me.

BTW, Brian apparently is not well liked among DawgNation, and not just because of the offense's under-performance this year.

My sense is that Smart is being groomed to take over for Saban at Alabama . . . Saban is 64 and likely has several good years left, so the question for Smart is whether waiting for Saban to retire is a better move than taking the HC at UGA. That said, Smart has never had HC experience . . . .

Bobo's at least had a year's worth of HC experience . . . but not at a power conference school.

Would UGA take a highly regarding coordinator at let him learn on the job, or will UGA insist on their next coach having HC experience?

Hate to see it happen to such an outstanding human being. Would love to see Richt take a couple of years off then come back as the UGA AD.

my understanding is that Smart may be the leading candidate for South Carolina, FWIW.

You're right re: Marty/Brian. . . my age and memory are catching up with me.

BTW, Brian apparently is not well liked among DawgNation, and not just because of the offense's under-performance this year.

My sense is that Smart is being groomed to take over for Saban at Alabama . . . Saban is 64 and likely has several good years left, so the question for Smart is whether waiting for Saban to retire is a better move than taking the HC at UGA. That said, Smart has never had HC experience . . . .

Bobo's at least had a year's worth of HC experience . . . but not at a power conference school.

Would UGA take a highly regarding coordinator at let him learn on the job, or will UGA insist on their next coach having HC experience?
Not sure if Smart will choose to go home or not, but I'd be shocked if there isn't mutual (and very serious) interest. Bobo replaced McIlwaine, who had a good first year at UF after a good few years at CSU. Whether Bobo could duplicate that success at his alma mater after only one year is an interesting question to contemplate.

Schottenheimer's had a rough go, and it probably wasn't a good fit. One of his adjustment issues was apparently the fact that the pro game has few time limits on player availability during the week, while the NCAA places strict limits on player practice / preparation time. It was said that BM had trouble adjusting to the college reality.

At any rate, Richt is a good man, and UGA may soon find that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hedges. I'll bet The U is on the phone with him already, since he went there. Wonder if he wants to coach anymore.

Kirby couldn't really go wrong by taking either So Carolina or Georgia, if he feels the time is right.

as for Richt to Miami, most of what I've heard/seen suggests Mario Cristobal leads there (good coach, but underwhelming hire IMO). Lots of people assume Miami is a great job, and in terms of recruiting south Florida it might be, but their facilities (like Southern Cal, for that matter) are not great.

Last edited:
One possibility that may benefit IU is Jacob Eason (#1 QB recruit) has said he would de-commit from Georgia if Richt was fired. Eason favors Michigan so if he ends up committing to UM, Peters may take another look at IU.

Kirby couldn't really go wrong by taking either So Carolina or Georgia, if he feels the time

as for Richt to Miami, most of what I've heard/seen suggests Mario Cristobal leads there (good coach, but underwhelming hire IMO). Lots of people assume Miami is a great job, and in terms of recruiting south Florida it might be, but their facilities (like Southern Cal, for that matter) are not great.
I've seen SC's new facilities. They're outstanding. The new stuff adjacent to Heritage Hall is state of the art, and they just announced a $270 million renovation to the Coliseum. Miami's? Not so much.

Richt played and coached at UM. He'd be a great hire if he wants to keep coaching.

As for Smart, the UGA job is much better than South Carolina, and he's a Bulldog. Not sure how he'd pass on it if it was offered to him. As Sope said though, they may a head coach rather than a coordinator.

I've seen SC's new facilities. They're outstanding. The new stuff adjacent to Heritage Hall is state of the art, and they just announced a $270 million renovation to the Coliseum. Miami's? Not so much.

Richt played and coached at UM. He'd be a great hire if he wants to keep coaching.

As for Smart, the UGA job is much better than South Carolina, and he's a Bulldog. Not sure how he'd pass on it if it was offered to him. As Sope said though, they may a head coach rather than a coordinator.

My sense is that UGA will prefer a well-known name, whether a coordinator or HC, and Smart may be the best of all worlds, i.e., a well-known and respected blocked No. 2 at the best program in the country plus a UGA alum. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Richt's departure hasn't been the result of Smart's timing to become a HC . . . kind of like Peyton's departure from Indy was part and parcel with the potential availability for the No. 1 draft choice for Luck . . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if Richt were to decide to go into a type of ministry or mission work and say the heck with the rat race of college football. He's made a ton of money over the years, and I'll bet he's been pretty responsible with it . . . .

I think either the UGA or So Carolina job would be attractive to a lot of guys. Ironically, both USC's have an "interim coach" situation that they'll need to clean up sooner rather than later.

I'm aware So Cal has (finally) upgraded their facilities and IIRC the U has at least started a fund drive to do the same in Coral Gables. I've also heard that, for some donors, the luster is already wearing off for Mora at UCLA, FWIW. Chip Kelly to Southern Cal would be a fascinating experiment--gotta think he would at least listen, given how things are turning out for him in Philly.

My sense is that UGA will prefer a well-known name, whether a coordinator or HC, and Smart may be the best of all worlds, i.e., a well-known and respected blocked No. 2 at the best program in the country plus a UGA alum. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Richt's departure hasn't been the result of Smart's timing to become a HC . . . kind of like Peyton's departure from Indy was part and parcel with the potential availability for the No. 1 draft choice for Luck . . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if Richt were to decide to go into a type of ministry or mission work and say the heck with the rat race of college football. He's made a ton of money over the years, and I'll bet he's been pretty responsible with it . . . .
I think you could very well be correct on both accounts. Get your guy and deprive one of your chief rivals their possible successor to their HOF coach. Check and check.

As for Richt, he's everything a college coach should be, in my opinion. Very good X's and O's coach, but ethical and caring. Just an incredibly decent guy, and refreshingly genuine. If I recall correctly, he was sanctioned a few years ago for paying some coaches / grad assistants from his own pocket. Don't recall the exact details, but he was busted for doing the right thing while calling no attention to himself for his altruism. He'll do great regardless of where he lands or what he does.

maybe at this point in his life Richt could be interested in a somewhat less high-profile gig like Central Florida.

I think either the UGA or So Carolina job would be attractive to a lot of guys. Ironically, both USC's have an "interim coach" situation that they'll need to clean up sooner rather than later.

I'm aware So Cal has (finally) upgraded their facilities and IIRC the U has at least started a fund drive to do the same in Coral Gables. I've also heard that, for some donors, the luster is already wearing off for Mora at UCLA, FWIW. Chip Kelly to Southern Cal would be a fascinating experiment--gotta think he would at least listen, given how things are turning out for him in Philly.
I think Kelly would listen but I'm betting Helton gets the job, especially if they beat Stanford. Counting interim coaches, CH is the 5th coach they've had since PC went to Seattle, and they want some stability. They also have a great deal with the City of LA, which has basically handed them the Coliseum, and the redo for that will be stunning (and complete by 2019).

Miami has a problem that isn't easily solved. No on campus stadium really hurts, and they've not come close to keeping pace in the facilities arms race. Donna Shalala was a big supporter of the football program, but she saw the writing on the wall when the Orange Bowl needed huge upgrades to survive (and they couldn't contribute in any meaningful way). Moving to the swamp where the Dolphins play was their only option, and it stinks for them. Al Golden cleaned it up, but there's only so much anyone can do.

I think Kelly would listen but I'm betting Helton gets the job, especially if they beat Stanford. Counting interim coaches, CH is the 5th coach they've had since PC went to Seattle, and they want some stability. They also have a great deal with the City of LA, which has basically handed them the Coliseum, and the redo for that will be stunning (and complete by 2019).

Miami has a problem that isn't easily solved. No on campus stadium really hurts, and they've not come close to keeping pace in the facilities arms race. Donna Shalala was a big supporter of the football program, but she saw the writing on the wall when the Orange Bowl needed huge upgrades to survive (and they couldn't contribute in any meaningful way). Moving to the swamp where the Dolphins play was their only option, and it stinks for them. Al Golden cleaned it up, but there's only so much anyone can do.

if they beat Stanford, they almost HAVE to give the full-time gig to Helton--which is why some USC donors (with stars in their eyes) are hoping they lose to Stanford and get Kelly to create Oregon 2.0 in Los Angeles. The more I see Kelly this year on TV the more his expression reminds me of Saban when Nick was coaching the Dolphins. I think Helton would probably do fine, but for some boosters I doubt he's a big enough "name" to satisfy their aspirations to return to the glory days of the Carroll era.

if South Carolina wants to open the checkbook again Richt would be an excellent get for them right now.

lots of recruits could be lured by their new facilities and the coach they wanted to play for at Georgia.

honestly I think SO car might be the better job moving forward anyway. less headaches, and expectations. but all of the bells and whistles the rest of the SEC has. and better facilities save for Alabama.

While age might of caught up with Spurrier on the coaching and recruiting front, he really turned the program around as far as boosters go. there is all kinds of money in that program now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT