ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Luke Goode offered by MSU

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
After Izzo and Fife watched 2021 top 30 Caleb Furst and 2021 top 90 Luke Goode square off in Fort Wayne.

It’s a shame we won’t get that package. They probably shoot too well for Archie.
That was good! Unfortunately it's true

I told u this a few days ago was called an idiot by the apologists...Furst is going to Sparty

ND, MSU, Mich, PU, even OSU, are as close to the northern part of the state as IU is, and the southern part of the state is much closer to Louisville and UK, and gets all their media out of Louisville, so they become the home team.

very few major conference schools have this geographic quirk, or 3 major schools in a smallish state, so geography is not our friend.

that said, Btown is a magical place, SSAH the Red Rocks of bball arenas, a great fan base that shows for all our teams, not just good ones, and a campus that envelops all IU students in rare beauty for their time here, and while we aren't the default home team for even half the state, we still should be at least in the running for most good players in it.

i think how horribly Davis was treated and the hiring of Sampson and the culture he brought in gave IU a negative vibe it hasn't yet recovered from, even if current players aren't old enough to realize how we lost our mojo.

no reason we can't get it back, and become the "home team" again for a bigger part of the state, and carry more "it" factor for where we aren't the default home team.

that will take someone who can sell recruits.

hopefully that's Arch.

if not, perhaps we need to not copy how we have been hiring.

lots of guys can coach.

those who win everywhere often have a reason why that isn't good.

the right coach is like an ingredient in a recipe. you need the right fit for a school.

Wisc figured this out.

so did Butler.

does Izzo win big anywhere else?

do any ex Butler coaches succeed as much elsewhere?

what about ex Zag coaches?

IU got it in fball with Hep and hopefully CTA.

NW with Fitz in fball.

the right ingredient for the right recipe.

not just who's the hot property that season.

After Izzo and Fife watched 2021 top 30 Caleb Furst and 2021 top 90 Luke Goode square off in Fort Wayne.
What are your thoughts on Goode? I've seen perhaps four of his games. I thought he looked good, but not great. If he went to MSU I would not lose a lot of sleep. On the other hand if Furst goes there too as a package deal I will cry cry cry rivers of tears.

ND, MSU, Mich, PU, even OSU, are as close to the northern part of the state as IU is, and the southern part of the state is much closer to Louisville and UK, and gets all their media out of Louisville, so they become the home team.

very few major conference schools have this geographic quirk, or 3 major schools in a smallish state, so geography is not our friend.

that said, Btown is a magical place, SSAH the Red Rocks of bball arenas, a great fan base that shows for all our teams, not just good ones, and a campus that envelops all IU students in rare beauty for their time here, and while we aren't the default home team for even half the state, we still should be at least in the running for most good players in it.

i think how horribly Davis was treated and the hiring of Sampson and the culture he brought in gave IU a negative vibe it hasn't yet recovered from, even if current players aren't old enough to realize how we lost our mojo.

no reason we can't get it back, and become the "home team" again for a bigger part of the state, and carry more "it" factor for where we aren't the default home team.

that will take someone who can sell recruits.

hopefully that's Arch.

if not, perhaps we need to not copy how we have been hiring.

lots of guys can coach.

those who win everywhere often have a reason why that isn't good.

the right coach is like an ingredient in a recipe. you need the right fit for a school.

Wisc figured this out.

so did Butler.

does Izzo win big anywhere else?

do any ex Butler coaches succeed as much elsewhere?

what about ex Zag coaches?

IU got it in fball with Hep and hopefully CTA.

NW with Fitz in fball.

the right ingredient for the right recipe.

not just who's the hot property that season.
Wow, you are good! All that rhetoric and you said absolutely nothing. Truly awe inspiring.

ND and PU are closer to the northern part of the state since they're actual in the northern part of the state. You realize this, right?

I'm guessing by "southern part of the state" you're specifically talking about the southern border, in particular Silver Creek and/or Evansville.

Never offered Furst? Your clueless.

Apologies. I thought you were talking about Goode.

And he's not gonna a commit soon to any school. He just had a interview where he said he's taking things slow right now. He's got some big time schools coming after him now. All the national guys are saying he's not close to a decision. He's still got big time schools coming in, North Carolina being the most recent and he really likes Virginia.

Lol ok. I guess you will see. I’m an IU fan. And I’m telling you. He’s going to Purdue.

He very well could commit to Purdue, but I highly, highly doubt he's not gonna do it anytime soon.

He's still a junior. Most kids like him don't commit until the fall of their senior year, which in every interview I've seen, has this recruitment going in that direction.

What are the reasons behind you guys not offering Goode? Especially given all his ties to IU. Are you favored for better SG/SFs? It just seems weird from an outsiders perspective.

As much as I liked the CAM hiring,I think it is failing. I don't think he has talent to get great D. He definitely doesn't recruit great shooters. I think once IU gets new AD, they need to cut their losses and get a coach who can get them over this bad hump. Pay the money if you want results. Recruit shooters like IU use to. Get athletic bigs-Henderson,Garrett types to go with outside shooters. Otherwise accept mediocrity. This is no way a sleight on CAM. I just don't think it turned out to be a good fit. He can be successful elsewhere. I just don't envision it at IU. 3 years is time enough to get a team turned around. It's not happening without a change if you truly want IU to get back to dominance.Gonna take a guy who can sell that to recruits and evaluate them better.

Reactions: Iu0214
What are the reasons behind you guys not offering Goode? Especially given all his ties to IU. Are you favored for better SG/SFs? It just seems weird from an outsiders perspective.

I think the coaches have players they like ahead of him on their board (Blake Wesley and Trey Patterson). They might be in a wait and see mode with them.

He probably isn’t a good enough defensive player.....Shooting isn’t important in fact our great coach even said that our guards don’t even need to score to be effective. We got a real winner

I think the coaches have players they like ahead of him on their board (Blake Wesley and Trey Patterson). They might be in a wait and see mode with them.

Agree. Goode is a decent but not great 3 point shooter. With Franklin and Geronimo, Leal, Galloway in the immediate class ahead of him not really much use for him. Unless a Goode offer guaranteed a Furst commit (I doubt it would) there are bigger fish to fry. I like the prospects of Lander, Kauffman, and then potentially Wesley or a surprise big name commit like Mohammed/Patterson/Kepnang.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Baller23Boogie said:

Agree. Goode is a decent but not great 3 point shooter. With Franklin and Geronimo, Leal, Galloway in the immediate class ahead of him not really much use for him. Unless a Goode offer guaranteed a Furst commit (I doubt it would) there are bigger fish to fry. I like the prospects of Lander, Kauffman, and then potentially Wesley or a surprise big name commit like Mohammed/Patterson/Kepnang.
[/quote]
Except for the fact that Goode is probably a better shooter than all of those guys which isn't saying a whole lot! Lol

Let's get down to the basics here. You have an offer from a School that has won national championships and been to a number of Final Fours in the last 20 years, with a certain Hall of Fame Coach who has coached at the School for 25 years, and will probably be allowed to Coach as long as he wants to.
Or you can go to a School that has been to one Final Four in the last 20 years, has gone trough 4 Coaches during that period, has a Coach on a hot seat with a new AD coming in in the next year, and is probably assured of one more year at the School, because you don't want to saddle the new AD with a long term contract for a Coach he may not want.

Based upon these factors only, where do you choose to go?

Let's get down to the basics here. You have an offer from a School that has won national championships and been to a number of Final Fours in the last 20 years, with a certain Hall of Fame Coach who has coached at the School for 25 years, and will probably be allowed to Coach as long as he wants to.
Or you can go to a School that has been to one Final Four in the last 20 years, has gone trough 4 Coaches during that period, has a Coach on a hot seat with a new AD coming in in the next year, and is probably assured of one more year at the School, because you don't want to saddle the new AD with a long term contract for a Coach he may not want.

Based upon these factors only, where do you choose to go?

I'm not sure it's that easy. I'm sure things like playing time, fit, campus and culture all fit into the scenario as well.

I'm not sure it's that easy. I'm sure things like playing time, fit, campus and culture all fit into the scenario as well.
You are absolutely right about the other factors. Sometimes it's as easy as where does the girlfriend go to school. However in my post I specifically stated, Based upon those factors only.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT