ADVERTISEMENT

OT: experiences with youtube tv?

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
I am tired of forking over cash to directv.

youtubetv appears to let me cut costs a lot, and I apparently lose very little in terms of channels I watch.

Anybody have especially positive or negative experiences with youtubetv? My broadband internet is very fast, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: jerryp1
I've used it and it's been nearly flawless. Expensive though and missing some channels like History.

I do like the History Channel, though I watch it far less than I used to, since they started featuring crap like Ancient Aliens, Searches for Bigfoot, and a neverending boring look at guys digging someplace called Oak Island and never finding squat in 2,000 TV hours. "Oh, look, a rusty nail... we are ONTO something here!"

I do like the History Channel, though I watch it far less than I used to, since they started featuring crap like Ancient Aliens, Searches for Bigfoot, and a neverending boring look at guys digging someplace called Oak Island and never finding squat in 2,000 TV hours. "Oh, look, a rusty nail... we are ONTO something here!"
But William Shatner!

Reactions: Lucy01

youtubetv appears to let me cut costs a lot, and I apparently lose very little in terms of channels I watch.

Anybody have especially positive or negative experiences with youtubetv? My broadband internet is very fast, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Been pretty good experience overall. At least once or twice a year they struggle to renew a deal with one of the network corporations, so the lineup changes. The latest hit was MLB Network and before that it was a dispute with Viacom that meant no Comedy Central or CBS for a bit. Costs have gone up some, but it's still been a better experience than DirecTV.

Just canceled. Price increase from $65 to $72 did me in . . . I'm a tightwad.

Good service. BiG Network and ESPN if you're into sports.

Our broadband is good though.

Just canceled. Price increase from $65 to $72 did me in . . . I'm a tightwad.

Good service. BiG Network and ESPN if you're into sports.

Our broadband is good though.
Your decision is becoming more and more common. Eventually the channel aggregators will probably go away because most people can get what they want from ordering a couple of different specific streaming services for less.

And then those prices will go up and we'll all be paying the same price again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
directv runs me about double that, with the add ons for "whole home DVR", a second box, monthly charges for both boxes, and mysterious other fees that make me think that they are a part of Ticketmaster.

I jotted down a long list of every station I can remember watching more than once. 28 stations made the list. The only stations on that list missing from youtubetv's basic lineup are History, A&E, and MLB Network. There are some others that I don't get now that look interesting.

Your decision is becoming more and more common. Eventually the channel aggregators will probably go away because most people can get what they want from ordering a couple of different specific streaming services for less.

And then those prices will go up and we'll all be paying the same price again. :rolleyes:
. . . enhhhh . . . I have an HDTV antennae, so unless I find curiosity gets the better of me re: IU football or basketball again, I doubt I'll be back for youtube.

The antennae plus Netflix is pretty sparse . . . but it fills the time fine.

directv runs me about double that, with the add ons for "whole home DVR", a second box, monthly charges for both boxes, and mysterious other fees that make me think that they are a part of Ticketmaster.

I jotted down a long list of every station I can remember watching more than once. 28 stations made the list. The only stations on that list missing from youtubetv's basic lineup are History, A&E, and MLB Network. There are some others that I don't get now that look interesting.
With youtube, make sure you have a robust internet and tvs with internet connections. Otherwise you could be sorely disappointed.

I have youtube tv. I like it but they have gradually raised prices as well. Nice thing is you can watch youtube TV on your phone. So can be on vacation and still watch my TV.

We bought roku streaming sticks for all the tvs so we just select YouTube tv, Netflix or whatever service we want to watch

With youtube, make sure you have a robust internet and tvs with internet connections. Otherwise you could be sorely disappointed.
I have screamingly fast internet. Got that when my wife's job changed to 100% work-at-home and she needed video calls with no pixelation. Only one TV is a smart TV, but Fire Sticks are what... 30 bucks? I have one Firestick already, but it's pretty old.

What if we aggregate all the suscription services into a larger, single point of entry, subscription service? We could name it something like Wire. No, that might be confused with the show. How about Ropes? Nope, don't look that one up.

It should be descriptive, like it's tying all these services together. I got it. Cable.

What if we aggregate all the suscription services into a larger, single point of entry, subscription service? We could name it something like Wire. No, that might be confused with the show. How about Ropes? Nope, don't look that one up.

It should be descriptive, like it's tying all these services together. I got it. Cable.
It's a viable bidness model, for sure. Let's get McM to front it.

I've used it and it's been nearly flawless. Expensive though and missing some channels like History.
Less expensive here in Georgia than Hargray. But I want to strangle them for the dispute with MLB Network.

You can have it in multiple locations and multiple TVs so it is a good value.

People around here hate that they can’t get Braves games.

does it allow you to DVR everything, and skip or fast forward through commercials on everything when watching recorded programing?

if you can't record everything, and skip or ff though commercials on playback, it's worthless to me.

and how's it look resolution wise when played on a 75" tv?

does it allow you to DVR everything, and skip or fast forward through commercials on everything when watching recorded programing?

if you can't record everything, and skip or ff though commercials on playback, it's worthless to me.

and how's it look resolution wise when played on a 75" tv?
Yes. Features limitless DVR.

It’s been kind of a mixed experience for us. Definitely cheaper but the seemingly annual price hikes are annoying.

I have issues playing back dvr events sometimes but that might be my internet.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Yes. Features limitless DVR.

It’s been kind of a mixed experience for us. Definitely cheaper but the seemingly annual price hikes are annoying.

I have issues playing back dvr events sometimes but that might be my internet.

but does it allow "DVR'd" programming to fast forward through commercials?

several yrs ago when i explored this, You Tube and others didn't allow fast forwarding through or skipping commercials upon playback.

or iirc, it did only on some channels, but not on a lot of channels.

and what's the resolution look like on a very large screen tv.

what it looks like on a computer screen or phone doesn't mean anything to me.

several yrs ago when i explored this, You Tube and others didn't allow fast forwarding through or skipping commercials upon playback.

As long as you’re not live, you can fast forward through any commercial.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
We had a trial of YouTube briefly years ago, I did not like their interface but it has changed since then. We went to Playstation tv, which went under. We have been with Hulu since on our Rokus. I do like Hulu, and it comes with Disney. They have added History and Weather relatively recently.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

There's nothing special about any of them. I've been with xfinity/comcast forever, as once you combine their Xfinity mobile service (which is cheap) with a decent tv/internet promo you're just chasing nickles trying to go elsewhere.

Youtube tv has been losing money from its inception. Google obviously doesnt care that much... but they will certainly slowly be bumping up their price over time (already have).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian

4K TV or not? What's the viewing distance? Internet speed?

We use it at the condo in FL and it is everything Uverse is but half the price.

Reactions: outside shooter
People around here hate that they can’t get Braves games.
This is the real reason I got rid of youtubeTV. No reason to watch it.

The Hawks are going to lose to the Celtics. Duh. College football and basketball seasons are done. No IU baseball to speak of.

Without the Braves, why have a subscription?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT